PDA

View Full Version : Found a bike - Return to PPB or Donate to CCC?

brock
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I recently found a bike that was obviously abandoned. Nothing special and needs a little work, but it is still a relatively decent late-90s model mountain bike. I checked various stolen bike registries for the serial number or description, but turned nothing up.

I called the Portland Police and they said they would come get it (or I could bring it to them). I assume that it would sit around for a while in storage, and if not claimed would likely go to auction. This seems like a waste of a good bike, and that the Community Cycling Center could make better use of it by fixing it up and reselling.

Thoughts on what I should do with it?

q`Tzal
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Post on Craigslist withholding some details to try to verify ownership.
State donation to CCC in X days in no one claims it.

K'Tesh
01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I recently found a bike that was obviously abandoned. Nothing special and needs a little work, but it is still a relatively decent late-90s model mountain bike. I checked various stolen bike registries for the serial number or description, but turned nothing up.

I called the Portland Police and they said they would come get it (or I could bring it to them). I assume that it would sit around for a while in storage, and if not claimed would likely go to auction. This seems like a waste of a good bike, and that the Community Cycling Center could make better use of it by fixing it up and reselling.

Thoughts on what I should do with it?

I found a bike last year, turned it into the cops... put in the required 2 weeks of notice in a newspaper (free), waited 90 days, and then was able to claim it. It is now legally mine, and I could give it away (to a friend, or charity), sell it, or keep it (I gave it to my (at the time) GF, but when we broke up and she returned to Taiwan, I'm the owner again).

If you don't follow procedure, you might run into problems if the former owner comes looking for it. I wouldn't want the CCC to be facing any kind of loss due to the former owner being able to prove that the bike was theirs (esp. after all the work that the CCC would need to do to get it safe to use).

Alan
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't want the CCC to be facing any kind of loss due to the former owner being able to prove that the bike was theirs...

CCC must deal with this sort of thing fairly often. Brock, if you ask them, let us know what they say!