PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky disc

Oldguyonabike
10-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I ride a LeMond Poprad as my comuter bike. The front disc has developed a horrible squeek that is not responding at all to cleaning, filing/sanding and resetting. I'm at the point of just replacing them, but there is plenty of wear still left on them and they are aren't that pitted. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas? I have >4 years on this work horse and have never had a squeek that just wouldn't go away.

RedRiderPDX
10-17-2011, 12:29 PM
All disc brakes do that from time to time, including my Poprad. I'm surprised this is the first time you've experienced it.

Hmmm, so cleaning won't fix it... I sometimes will "pulse" the brakes a few times. Get up a little speed, hit em hard, pulsing them as you brake. Try it a few times. Usually does it for me.

Swiss Stop makes a fluid that can be applied to disc brake pads but I've never been able to find it.

http://www.swissstop.ch/SwissStopSilencer.aspx

Oldguyonabike
10-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Red
That's what's baffling me. I know what to do and what's worked and something's always worked before. Just hoping there might be something else out there. Don't really want to try a lubricant. Seems counter-intuitive to lube a brake (like deep fried ice cream) and it won't last in the rain anyway.
I did give the hard brake from fast speed idea a try again and it did tamper the squeek, but not completely. I think I'll just switch out the pads.
Otherwise you'll here me coming on the Springwater. Pretty sure we've run into each other out there a few times. How many red LeMonds are out there? Mine's the one with the broom

canuck
10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
When you do swap out the pads, perform the hard braking process immediately.

Do it 5 - 10 times. This helps to reduce the noise ongoing.