PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION! Fanno Creek Trail

Haven_kd7yct
05-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Hey all--

I've reported it to the City but thought I'd post it here as well.

There is a large quantity of glass, green and clear in varying sizes, strewn across one of the Fanno Creek Trail bridges between Max's brewpub and City Hall. The bridge in question is the third bridge heading from City Hall to Max's. The bridge has a spur trail leading to SW Ash Ave and Maplewood Dr, with the main trail heading over to Max's.

The glass pieces are liberally spread, and WILL result in multiple flats. Dogs WILL get cuts on their paws, and people walking in sandals may have a problem here.

I'm going to try to scare up a broom or something and head over there later to clear a path if nothing else. And chalk, to write warnings.

K'Tesh
05-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for getting the word out. Hopefully Tigard will respond quickly.

Haven_kd7yct
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Follow-up:

I emailed the street hazard people but then realized that maybe the Trail doesn't fall under their purview. So I emailed my friend Mike at the City to give him a heads up.

Within 30 minutes he responded back to me, including two I think Parks guys. Immediately after that, one of them emailed me and said he was heading over to check it out. So kudos to the City of Tigard for getting out there.

While they get full marks for quick service, their execution leaves a little to be desired. I'd say 60 to 70% of the big pieces were swept up. The ends of the bridges, especially the side where Ash and Maplewood come down to the bridge, still have quite a lot of glass.

I portaged across again this morning and intend to hit it tonight with a broom before my meeting out there. Hopefully I can get up the pieces they left, enough so bike tires and dog paws are saved from cuts.

Alan
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm a 'dog people' so it's nice to hear your concern for canines. Pad cuts can be quite a serious problem for dogs, particularly for big dogs. Pad tissue does not hold stitches well, and pressure tends to open the wound (running, walking). Dogs over 100-lb are especially difficult to treat for cut pads and require special care. Recovery/rehab time can be quite long...months. It can become a chronic/terminal condition.

That said, dog feet are also amazingly tough when it comes to broken glass and other sharp stuff. Military dogs routinely cross glass-strewn areas, even in practice drills, and what those handlers, and other urban dog handlers, have found is that there are almost no injuries as long as the dog is allowed to pick its own way through the hazard. Injuries tend to occur when the dog is tugged on leash or issued abrupt commands to change course.

What that means to a pet owner walking on Fanno Creek Trail is to work with your dog so that it walks on a loose leash. Sure, keep it in close and don't let it pull the leash across the path, but teach it to walk with you, not dashing around, tugging and pulling. If you have the leash in your left hand, use your right hand to reach across to your left side at dog's nose height and offer small treats, over and over and over as you walk, saying "with me!" (or whatever command you use). A pouch or "bait bucket" on your waist can hold the treats. Again...very small treats (kitty kibbles?), over and over, while you walk.

Thanks for following up on that mess, Haven!

K'Tesh
05-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks for following up on that mess, Haven!

Thanks Haven!

and Thanks Alan for the training tips.