PDA

View Full Version : Insurance query

albyn
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
My wife and I have not owned a car since August. We walk, cycle, ride the bus, and occasionally rent a car for trips out of town. Daily insurance from a car-rental agency can be pricey, the LDW (loss/damage waiver) seems to be $25-$30/day, and doesn't cover liability, and the Supplemental Libility policy is another $10-$20/day. My insurance agent doesn't seem to know of any policies for non-owners.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Simple Nature
03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
How does Zip Cars deal with it?

drosen
03-09-2011, 06:35 PM
My wife and I have not owned a car since August. We walk, cycle, ride the bus, and occasionally rent a car for trips out of town. Daily insurance from a car-rental agency can be pricey, the LDW (loss/damage waiver) seems to be $25-$30/day, and doesn't cover liability, and the Supplemental Libility policy is another $10-$20/day. My insurance agent doesn't seem to know of any policies for non-owners.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I found this on the interlinkweb-pipeline thingy (Thank you Senator Stevens)

http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/faq/insurance-for-non-car-owner.aspx

DR

edki
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I found that my Visa card covers the CDW/LDW portion of the insurance. Still no liability coverage but it's better than nothing.

To find out coverage on any cards you may have go to :http://www.benefitinformationcenter.com/ of course this only applies to specifc ones, but both my are accessible here. All else fails call the customer service number and ask.

@ Drosen: thanks for the link!

DarkStar
03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
How does Zip Cars deal with it?

It's not too bad:

http://www.zipcar.com/how/faqs/one-faq?faq_number=28

It's not called-out on the site, but your insurance is only "active" during your "rental" so no coverage when I'm riding my bike...

Spectre
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Most of the big auto insurance companies offer a non-owner insurance policy. I know for sure American Family Insurance does and I think Allstate has one too. There are major benefits to having one if you are a cyclist other than the liability coverage while driving. 1. You have medical coverage up to 15k (in OR) if you are hit by a car while on your bike. 2. You have un-insured coverage if you are hit (on your bike) by an un-insured vehicle. Depending on the amount of insurance you buy you will also have under insured coverage if you are hit by someone with less insurance coverage than you. eg. if you have a 100k policy and you are hit by a guy with 25k policy and your damages exceed the 25k you have up to 75k in additional coverage under your own policy. The best set up you can have is a top limit auto policy with a personal umbrella policy that increases your uninsured coverage up to the amount of the umbrella coverage (usually 1 million). Umbrellas are cheap and well worth it. (Usually less than a 300 a year).

DarkStar
03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Most of the big auto insurance companies offer a non-owner insurance policy.

You'll still need a VIN number from a car though in order to be insured as you will only have vehicle insurance on that one car. I guess you could grab a VIN out of the Auto Trader though... :D