PDA

View Full Version : Mucked up Merge on Milikan Way

wsbob
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey westsiders,

For at least the last year, on the stretch of Milikan Way between Cedar Hills Blvd and Rose Biggi Ave, there's been a situation having to do with the bike lane and the sign advising that the bike lane ends at Rose Biggi Ave, that has seemed to me to be woefully lacking.

I took some pictures. Here's the URL, so you can go take a look at them if you choose: Millikan Way eastbound btwn CHB and Rose Biggi Av/ 'bike lane ends' treatment (https://picasaweb.google.com/111259046029235766422/MillikanWayEastboundBtwnCHBAndRoseBiggiAv?authkey= Gv1sRgCL2t9JG9jMqh3wE#)

In case the pictures don't adequately explain the situation, here's what happens for a cyclist traveling this stretch of Milikan in the bike lane: They travel along in the bike lane, unable to see the symbol sign informing them of the bike lane's end, until there no longer is sufficient time to hand signal a turn for subsequent, safe, smooth flowing transition into the main travel lane.

This likelihood of this happening is due to an inherent flaw in the arrangement of the sidewalk border trees perfectly in line with the streetlamp pole upon which the bike lane symbol sign is mounted. As a result, the tree trunks and branches block cyclists view of the sign until they're less than 100' away from the sign.

As you'll see in the first picture, the street is posted for 20mph. That's a good thing. Of course, as we all know, motor vehicle operators, and, depending upon the speed capability of the vehicle being used...other vehicles such as bikes too... typically drive at least 5mph over the posted speed limit, especially on streets like this one where no side street development poses hazards traffic has to moderate its speeds for.

This is, at this point in Beaverton's growth, still a relatively low volume traffic street, though at the same time, it's a kind of critically important secondary east-west road. It passes by 'The Round', which has residences, offices, a gym, a college, and more. So, the street is used increasingly, and especially during rush hour, motor vehicle activity can be intense, despite the 20mph speed limit.

Typically, as the cyclist is cruising along in the bike lane, by the time they finally see the symbol sign, or otherwise pick up the idea that they've got to get over into the main travel lane to cross Rose Biggi, the point along Miikan that they're located at is not far enough in advance of the lane end to adequately signal intent of a turn to fast moving motor vehicles approaching from behind the cyclist.

As a result, the cyclist has to dramatically reduce their speed as they're slowly coming ever closer to the end of the bike lane, waiting for a gap between the cars backed up at the stop sign at Rose Biggi. The cyclist could choose to ride past the end of the bike lane alongside the cars in the main travel lane, but it's not smart to do this because the traffic calming curb extension road designers used at this intersection to more naturally reduce traffic speed, becomes a pinch point for cyclists not in the main travel lane, bringing them dangerously close to motor vehicles.

Maybe it's only my view and no one else's, that this a bad situation. I'd appreciate you all taking a look, maybe dropping a comment about what you think. And if you do think this is a situation needing attention, do drop a line to a city department. I'll dig up some contact info anyone wants it.

Here's just one of the pictures in the set of 10 (if you're not a registered member of the forum, you probably won't be able to see it.):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_n9hUsKEqnng/TXScV3sR2WI/AAAAAAAAASc/xlh6Uz75aqI/DSC_0011.JPG

Editing as of 4/13/11: Sometime during the past week, something that occurred to me about Milikan Way, particularly the section of this street through the intersection with Rose Biggi, is how it bears some similarities to the idea of 'Neighborhood Greenways, a concept that the City of Portland has been developing to restore and enhance the ability of some of its neighborhood streets to become particularly good routes for use by pedestrians and cyclists. On its webpage offering info about that concept, Portland puts it this way: 'Streets with low traffic volume and speed where bicycles, pedestrians and neighbors are given priority'

Link to that web page: Bicycle Boulevards / Neighborhood Greenways/Ptlnd Bureau of Transportation (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=50518)

Okay...thinking again about Portland's concept for Neighborhood Greenways, I suppose I've got to admit that Milikan Way isn't exactly prioritizing pedestrians and cyclists...at least not over motor vehicle travel. With this street though, it's certainly clear by the city's use of the 20mph speed limit and the traffic calming curb extension, that it has decided to encourage increased travel by walking and biking in lieu of motor vehicle travel. As such, with this type of infrastructure, it's very important that it works well.

Simple Nature
03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
I ride that section a lot as it is part of my eastbound excersize route. I have never seen significant traffic on this stretch. I simply merge into the lane way before reaching the stop sign. It might come up suddenly if you are not aware of it.

I am so use to the fact that bike lanes simply stop on the westside that this one never gave me pause. Hillsboro simply puts signs up that say "Bike Lane Ends"... like "now what?" At least there is a sign that guides the rider and traffic. Maybe a message to the transportation department will get the sign moved up a bit.

BTW: that style of curbing at the stop sign is a traffic calming measure :)

wsbob
03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Simple Nature ...hey, thanks for the input. About the traffic, maybe the city feels the same way you do. Actually, in terms of volume, so do I. There isn't presently a great volume of traffic on the street. It's the character of the motor vehicle traffic that's there, and how it flows together with bike traffic that seems a problem to me. If it's only me that sees a problem here...then no big deal. I'll forget about it and otherwise make do with the situation.

There are times during the day when east bound motor vehicle traffic moves swiftly down the street to points beyond Rose Biggi. I'm not studying where these vehicles are going, so I can't say for sure; possibly to the gym, to the college, or as a cut through to Watson and proceed southbound rather than negotiating the big intersection of Canyon Rd and Cedar Hills Blvd to access Watson southbound by east bound travel on Canyon.

Down this stretch of Milikan, I estimate my speed on the bike at 15-18mph. So, considering the speed of motor vehicle traffic there, even if I've started down the street with no cars behind or alongside, by the time the sign is clearly visible, motor vehicles often are close to having caught up with me, or are right alongside, blocking transition to the main travel lane. There's not enough advance notice possible from the sign to allow cyclists to make a transition into the main lane.

Time of day? Generally, I ride eastbound through this section between 3:30pm and 5:30pm. I've found the street to have some fairly intensely driving motor vehicle operators on the street during this time frame. They swiftly overtake me on the bike, which suggests that they're easily traveling 20mph, and likely faster. Not much traffic on the street tends to enable the tendency to drive fast.

The trick for bike traffic is to get out of the bike lane far enough in advance of Rose Biggi to have time to safely transition into the main travel lane, but the sign presently can't help cyclists to do this. That's my point.

Riding in the bike lane to the intersection with Rose Biggi brings cyclists towards what I believe you're accurately identifying as a street calming measure, but which in this situation, can turn into a pinch point for bike traffic that has not already transitioned into the main travel lane prior to Rose Biggi.

I think the traffic calming measure/curb extension may very well be doing its bit to help calm motor vehicle traffic between Biggi and Watson.

Through repeated use of this section of Milikan Way with the bike, like yourself, I've tried to make a practice of signaling and leaving the bike lane, starting a couple hundred feet back from Biggi. This works, except when I forget. Of course, because they can't see the sign, this leaves some motorists wondering, 'Hey...why isn't the cyclist in the bike lane?'.

I have sent a link for the photo series and a letter of explanation to a city official. Whether they reply, or give some thought to whether there's a valid need to do something about the situation remains to be seen. If I get a response, I may post it here to this thread so everyone can know what's going on.

Simple Nature
03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a much bigger concern at this intersection. That is only a 2-way stop!
Any cyclist deciding this isn't worth stopping really puts themselves at risk. I've had cars very confused and stopping for me when they have no stop sign.

The route is a shortcut to Hall-southbound when you don't want to deal with the mall traffic. Locals know it pretty well when you want to avoid TV Hwy and Jenkins but the general public hasn't found this route yet. At some point, this will become an issue.

At the very least, I would forward the picture posted in this thread to the appropriate department and let them know they have an obstructed sign that is located to close to the intersection. I don't know who that would be for Beaverton. In Hillsboro, there is a Transportation Committee that logs complaints like these and gets to issues rather quickly if they can do something about the problem.

K'Tesh
03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I called someone in Public Works for you. Unfortunately, I could only leave a VM. But I expect I'll get a call back on this.

Keep your eyes open, and let me know when it's fixed.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

wsbob
03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a much bigger concern at this intersection. That is only a 2-way stop!
Any cyclist deciding this isn't worth stopping really puts themselves at risk. I've had cars very confused and stopping for me when they have no stop sign.

The route is a shortcut to Hall-southbound when you don't want to deal with the mall traffic. Locals know it pretty well when you want to avoid TV Hwy and Jenkins but the general public hasn't found this route yet. At some point, this will become an issue. ...

"... That is only a 2-way stop! ..." Simple Nature

I would think you've certainly raised an important issue, although I expect city officials would respond by looking into whether the sign existing at the intersection that informs east-west bound Milikan Way road users that north-south bound Rose Biggi road users do not have to stop, is adequately doing its job. Next time you cross through the intersection, note that mounted directly below the stop sign, is a yellow and black horizontal rectangular sign that states 'Cross Traffic Does Not Stop'

The Rose Biggi traffic not having to stop has been lost on me a few times, even though I generally stop at the Milikan stop sign. I'm not sure why I've sometimes failed to notice or remember the aforementioned sign. Maybe because after having stopped at the sign, and looking south, my eyes have caught the back side of a sign on Rose Biggi, positioned in such a way that at first glance, it has registered to me, as a stop sign for Rose Biggi road users.

Once I pulled out in front of a Rose Biggi road user, after having stopped at the Milikan Way stop sign. There's something about the characteristics of this intersection that intuitively says to Milikan Way road users that Rose Biggi road users also have a stop sign, even though ithey don't have one. I don't know for sure why city planners have chosen to regulate Rose Biggi traffic this way. Probably though, the city has bigger ideas for Rose Biggi, that would have it carry a heavier volume of north-south traffic between Canyon, maybe as far as CHB. Some months back, I noticed on the city's website, that RB bridge, north of MW, was scheduled for an expansion.

On the eastbound Milikan bike lane ends question: I have a hard time describing the situation succinctly. Basically though, it boils down to the fact that the sign informing road users that the bike lane is ending, suddenly becomes visible only 100' from the end of the bike lane. My understanding of Oregon rules of the road, is that vehicle operators and bike riders are to indicate intention to turn, 100' from the intended turn. That the bike on Milikan does end, is not an intuitive thing. That's why the symbol sign is there.

If various infrastructure and installation flaws prevent road users from seeing the sign in advance of the 100' distance to the end of the bike lane, they are not being adequately informed to make the necessary safe use of the road.

I'll check my mail today to see if I get a response from the city official I sent the notice to. By the way....the Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee meeting is tomorrow night....Thursday the 10th at 6:30pm at City Hall on Griffith Drive (south of Beaverton Town Square).

lynnef
03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I ride through there fairly often, and while I know to stop at Rose Biggi (I always stop at stops. Has saved me a couple of times), you are right, the intersection looks like Millikan should be the priority road. To the north, it dumps into a MAX station parking lot, and, if you know The Secret, you can cut through to Dawson (?) that, heading north, puts you on Center and Points East. My husband's bike commute route, and occasionally mine.

Good luck bringing it up at the BAC. I mean, you can bring it up, but it will likely be "yes we know about it and..." You gonna be there? I'm not sure yet.

K'Tesh
03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
The reason that Rose Biggi isn't a 4 way stop is the MAX Tracks.

I've called on this in the past, and I was told that if there was a stop there, that there is a potential for a car being stopped on the tracks, and getting broadsided by a train.

Kinda weird, considering the Watson/Broadway/Farmington/P&W RR stoplight, but that's what I was told.

wsbob
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I ride through there fairly often, and while I know to stop at Rose Biggi (I always stop at stops. Has saved me a couple of times), you are right, the intersection looks like Millikan should be the priority road. To the north, it dumps into a MAX station parking lot, and, if you know The Secret, you can cut through to Dawson (?) that, heading north, puts you on Center and Points East. My husband's bike commute route, and occasionally mine.

Good luck bringing it up at the BAC. I mean, you can bring it up, but it will likely be "yes we know about it and..." You gonna be there? I'm not sure yet.

Hey Lynne, thanks for the tips! You know...I've almost never ridden north on Rose Biggi from Milikan. I'm struggling to remember what it leads to. I just assumed it was to the strip mall parking lot, but now...I do recall it leads to the parking lot next to The Round. Don't know about Dawson. I'll check it out.

Will I go to the meeting? Don't know. I have a kind of chronic anxiety, so it's far from the most fun thing for me to do. The city official I sent notice of the situation to, (also on the BBAC), hasn't responded to the email I sent them, so that may mean a deaf ear is being turned to my inquiry about the bike lane ends sign.

(I'm sorry to go on about this again, but here's the thing: even if savvy, experienced cyclists like yourself and simple nature are smart enough to know to leave the bike lane upon approaching an intersection like this one, as a matter of course, before they ever see a sign telling them to, the fact is that the city spent taxpayers money to make and mount this sign so other people that need to, could see it and help them get down the road to home and work safely. When the city doesn't take care to mount the sign in such a way that people can see it properly, the sign becomes almost totally worthless, and in fact is forced to fail to do its bit to prevent harm and injury to road users. I know this is a low volume street, but I think the city should be making a practice of taking care of details like this the right way.)

And maybe the sign issue is no big deal to anyone except me. If that's the case, then why bother? I've already spent a fair amount of time taking pics, uploading them, captioning them... . So if what they relate to is not an issue for most people, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to pursue it any further, or spend time going to the bike advisory meeting about it, unless I'm aware there's some other reason of particular importance to attend for.

wsbob
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM

I've called on this in the past, and I was told that if there was a stop there, that there is a potential for a car being stopped on the tracks, and getting broadsided by a train.

Kinda weird, considering the Watson/Broadway/Farmington/P&W RR stoplight, but that's what I was told.

Yes, that's a very interesting answer to the question of why there isn't a stop sign for north-south bound traffic on Rose Biggi at its intersection with Milikan Way, because I'm guessing the light rail tracks are at least a 100' from the intersection; plenty room for a car or a truck or a semi-truck to get clear of the tracks. But maybe I'm guessing wrong. I'll check it out.

K'Tesh
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
And maybe the sign issue is no big deal to anyone except me. If that's the case, then why bother? I've already spent a fair amount of time taking pics, uploading them, captioning them...

It's a legit concern... I've done what I can to help, don't give up on it. However, I can't go to the BAC meetings due to a schedule conflict. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Psyfalcon
03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
It was a 4 way stop until some of the construction in the area finished. Seems like a good way to give a parking lot priority.

wsbob
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM

I rode over to the Milikan Way-Rose Biggi intersection...today...after reading your post. I'm not sure I understand the explanation you received, because: the light rail tracks are 80'-100' north of the intersection, and the crossing is equipped with crossing gates, lights, and I suppose the bells, though I didn't hang around to listen to them. The tracks are just to the other side of a slight hummock, but aside from this, there doesn't seem to be any more reason a car would get stopped on the tracks here than there would be at any other so equipped crossing.

K'Tesh
03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I rode over to the Milikan Way-Rose Biggi intersection...today...after reading your post. I'm not sure I understand the explanation you received, because: the light rail tracks are 80'-100' north of the intersection, and the crossing is equipped with crossing gates, lights, and I suppose the bells, though I didn't hang around to listen to them. The tracks are just to the other side of a slight hummock, but aside from this, there doesn't seem to be any more reason a car would get stopped on the tracks here than there would be at any other so equipped crossing.

I was just repeating what I was told when I called Beaverton's Public Works.

wsbob
03-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I was just repeating what I was told when I called Beaverton's Public Works.

I understand that you were just repeating what you were told. I'm saying I don't understand the answer you were given. Looking at the site, it's hard to understand the basis for the answer you were given.

lynnef
03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, that's a very interesting answer to the question of why there isn't a stop sign for north-south bound traffic on Rose Biggi at its intersection with Milikan Way, because I'm guessing the light rail tracks are at least a 100' from the intersection; plenty room for a car or a truck or a semi-truck to get clear of the tracks. But maybe I'm guessing wrong. I'll check it out.

If there was actual TRAFFIC there, I might buy it. While I always stop, there is at most one car coming from the south. Not the north.

The connecting street is Westgate, not Dawson. It is Dawson W of Cedar Hills. My bad.

Go north, go around the fence a bit to the right, follow the fence north, go left through the open gate, CAREFULLY avoiding the large potholes. Continue north through the parking lot to Westgate.

wsbob
03-10-2011, 10:52 PM
If there was actual TRAFFIC there, I might buy it. While I always stop, there is at most one car coming from the south. Not the north.

The connecting street is Westgate, not Dawson. It is Dawson W of Cedar Hills. My bad.

Go north, go around the fence a bit to the right, follow the fence north, go left through the open gate, CAREFULLY avoiding the large potholes. Continue north through the parking lot to Westgate.

I also notice Rose Biggi traffic mostly coming from the south, and there isn't currently a lot of it...but... . This land in the general area of The Round, was/is Beaverton leaders and planners 'big idea', dating not too far in the past. If I remember correctly, the Milikan/Rose Biggi intersection and its traffic calmer/curb extension, occurred out out of the enthusiasm that centered around economic growth that The Round was hoped to generate.

I'm all kind of speculating here rather than basing on fact...that kind of energy is how Beaverton generates the momentum to go for the kind of improvements, such as the 5' wide bike lanes on Milikan.. a very nice facility. Beaverton leaders want to be a hip, with it city, with all the latest furnishings, etc. etc. That's how it gets the idea to have such things as the curb extension there at Milikan/Biggi.

The relatively new infrastructure in this area was designed and built with the idea that lots of activity...much more than is happening there currently...would be taking place. In other words, far more pedestrians, cyclists, and motor vehicles passing through the intersection and traveling the streets. To handle that kind of load, things have to be able to flow smoothly.

It's with this awareness in mind that I'm bemused by the fact that the city would approve a design for Milikan Way that obstructs the sign that bike lane users need to be able to see, to understand the bike lane is ending. And why, informing of the end of this bike lane, would city traffic engineers approve use of the difficult to readily comprehend symbol sign, when, as Simple Nature reminds us in an earlier comment, simple word signs with a bike symbol are used elsewhere?

If it's an hour of the day when traffic is on the street, a cyclist not merging in the bike lane before the end of the bike lane will typically find themselves having to pause at the stop sign, blocked by the curb extension from proceeding further, waiting for two to three cars in the main lane to proceed through the intersection, even though the cyclist may have arrived at the intersection first. That's not an example of infrastructure working as I imagine its designers envisioned it working.

This is why I get a little frustrated with traffic engineers that seem not to have a solid appreciation of the in practice usage of infrastructure designs like this one, that they approve.

biciclero
03-11-2011, 11:15 AM
It almost seems like all bike lanes should disappear when entering a 20mph zone such as this one. There would be no need for late merging or signage if there were no bike lane here.

I ride this every day, and it is true that you can see the actual end of the bike lane before you can see/comprehend any signs warning of it. You go through there about once before you realize that early merging is your best bet.

wsbob
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
It's a legit concern... I've done what I can to help, don't give up on it. However, I can't go to the BAC meetings due to a schedule conflict. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Haven't really given up, but thinking the situation over, and reflecting on my last effort with the bike lane ends sign and catch basin over on Hall Blvd, I can't help feeling that city officials aren't going to do anything.

On Hall Blvd, the effort got the sign moved and the branches trimmed so the sign can be seen. That helped, but the catch basin remains, unfixed, going on a couple years after I first mentioned it to the city.

This situation on Milikan is more complicated. The tree limbs could be trimmed to afford a view of the sign from a bit farther back...maybe 50' further... . That would give bike lane users more advance notice that a merge is in order, bringing some of them to decide to transition left into the bike lane before the bike lane actually ends at Rose Biggi.

The bigger problem with the east-bound bike lane ending at Milikan, is that the bike lane itself is not designed to transition bike traffic into the main travel lane.

Despite the difficult to read symbol sign advising bike lane users that bike lane traffic must merge with main lane traffic, the bike lane itself continues to draw bike lane users to where the traffic calming curb extension blocks it from proceeding further, rather than having bike lane traffic smoothly merge with the main lane in advance of the Rose Biggi intersection.

I could run this situation past Beaverton City Traffic Engineer Jabra Kasho, but I've got a strong feeling he'll say he can't do anything much about it. That was who I was advised by the bike advisory committee to inquire of the last time around. It's also another reason I kind of felt taking this to the bike advisory committee was probably not going to be productive. There would probably just have said 'Go see Jabra'.

A lot of this bike lane infrastructure seems to be new territory, for which well thought out designs don't yet exist in the spec books. That means extra work...proposals, applications, time periods to wait for, which I suppose city employees aren't very enthusiastic to take on for situations like this one.

I haven't checked through the Urban Bikeway Design Guide (http://www.c4cguide.org/), recently released by the The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO), which Maus wrote about this week in a main page story. Maybe there's a design in that manual that could address a situation like this better.

There are, I think, a number of reasons why this particular infrastructural situation is important, but one that probably should strike a chord with bikeportland readers, is that a good length of Milikan Way, and it's intersection with Rose Biggi, are an example of the 'Neighborhood Greenways' concept that Portland and its bike advocates have been very excited about. Yes, we have that fancy stuff out here in Beaverton too.

So when what on paper looks like a beautiful scheme, doesn't work too well in actual use, that's a problem that threatens the success of future use of the concept.

wsbob
03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Just a couple minor update notes for today:

I added some relevant bits of information to some of the captions of the picture series (see the series here: Millikan Way eastbound btwn CHB and Rose Biggi Av/ 'bike lane ends' treatment (https://picasaweb.google.com/111259046029235766422/MillikanWayEastboundBtwnCHBAndRoseBiggiAv?authkey= Gv1sRgCL2t9JG9jMqh3wE#)). Noticed also, that to this date...for whatever reason, picture #8 has received a significantly disproportionate number of views than the other pics have.

....and noted in one of the picture captions, but I should also probably mention here, that for some reason, the bike lane ends symbol sign is not among the signs included in the MUTCD ('manual of uniform traffic control devices'...the feds official manual on that sort of thing). I'm not suggesting the use of the sign is illegal in this situation, because I don't actually know for sure. I give the City of Beaverton benefit of the doubt that to use the symbol sign, it followed whatever procedures were required for permission to use a sign that's not in the manual.

Examples of MUTCD approved signs, or combinations thereof, that those of us reading here might consider in lieu of the symbol sign on Milikan Way eastbound at Rose Biggi, can be found on page 125 (W4-2, a merge symbol), and pg 793 ( R3-17 and R3-17bP, 'Bike Lane', and 'Ends'.). I'd just post the images here, but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that from the copy saved to my computer.). There's something to be said for the intended purpose of the symbol sign in place now, but it's almost as if the effort is defeated by too much info crammed onto the little available space using lines and symbols that are too small and fine.

It almost seems like all bike lanes should disappear when entering a 20mph zone such as this one. There would be no need for late merging or signage if there were no bike lane here.

I ride this every day, and it is true that you can see the actual end of the bike lane before you can see/comprehend any signs warning of it. You go through there about once before you realize that early merging is your best bet.

The bike lanes seem worthwhile having on this street, because looking into a future where a wider representative range of cyclists are on the street, many of them may choose not to ride 20mph, or even 15mph. Motorists of course, are inclined to travel at least 5mph over the posted limit. 5mph over, to me, easily seems reasonable, barring the presence of other slower traffic, pedestrians, etc. before them.

I'd agree that regular cyclist users of this street are likely to catch on to the idea that an early merge from the bike lane into the main lanes is a good practice for the sake of safe traveling and for the having traffic on the street flow better. Information intended to be conveyed by the sign though, is not merely for cyclists road users; it's also for motor vehicle operators traveling the east bound lane. All road users will benefit by the sign being visible to east bound traffic approaching the end of the bike lane.

wsbob
03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm periodically going to the series of 10 pictures of the bike lane at Milikan Way and Rose Biggi that I took, to study the situation, adding new ideas as they occur to me, into the captions. The picasa format limits the number of characters in the captions, so the captions are rather brief.

Made a few revisions and additions today. Photo #8 continues to be the most viewed picture. Today though, I added an idea to picture #9. Take a look and consider it if you get a chance. I'm not suggesting any major change to the infrastructure be made here, but it's something you may find interesting to think about. Link to picture #9:

Mucked up Merge on Milikan Way picture #9 (https://picasaweb.google.com/111259046029235766422/MillikanWayEastboundBtwnCHBAndRoseBiggiAv?authkey= Gv1sRgCL2t9JG9jMqh3wE#5581257869136490082)

wsbob
03-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Got a response today, about the 'bike lane ends' symbol sign, about which I sent an email in regards to, on the 7th of this month. (I of course, am Darrell as noted in the response). Here's the text of that response:

"Hi Darrell,

Thank you for forwarding your comments on the sign placement. We looked at the situation again. Perhaps our landscape crew might trim the branch but Iíll need to take another look to see if it is in the way. The sign and the tree need to remain as they are currently located. Thank you.

Regards,

Margaret "

That's Margaret Middleton, a planner with the City of Beaverton, and also liaison for the city to the Beaverton Bicycle Advisory Committee. Here's the text of my inquiry that led to that response:

You might remember me a year or so ago having come to the BBAC about catch basin and bike lane ends sign on Hall Blvd. Today, I'm providing you with a link to some pics I took on Milikan Way between Cedar Hills Blvd and Watson, about what I think may be a valid concern in different location.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111259046029235766422/MillikanWayEastboundBtwnCHBAndRoseBiggiAv?authkey= Gv1sRgCL2t9JG9jMqh3wE#

It's my personal feeling that the sign advising road users that the bike lane is ending...thus requiring cyclists to merge into the main travel lane...is not visible at a sufficient distance from the actual end of the bike lane, so as to allow cyclists using the bike to adequately prepare for a smooth transition into the main travel lane.

If you have a moment, please take a look at the pics and see what you think; whether you think it needs attention.

By the way, on the street, I happened to meet and talk with a city worker. We talked for awhile about this issue. He suggested Mark Boguslawski with Public Works, Engineering, might be interested in this situation. Said Boguslawski rides a bike, so he could actually ride over there and see how the infrastructure with this sign, works in practice. Couldn't find his contact info on the city website. If you think he'd be a good one to show this to, send it his way, or to anyone you think should see it.

Thanks,

Darrell Tuffli "

I responded back today with some additional ideas about the bike lane on Milikan Way across Rose Biggi, and a link to this forum discussion. Ms Middleton doesn't say she and the other staff members took a look at the picture series I provided a link to, but I hope they did. Going out there and riding the bike lane would be a very good way to get an idea of how visible the sign is to cyclists riding in the bike lane.

wsbob
06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I've added pics to the picasa (link in previous post.) web album showing the trees now with spring leaves that even further block the 'bike lane ends' picture sign from what it was during winter when the tree branches were bare.

The city still has not done even as much as trimming a few branches to try correct this problem. Later today, I may post a couple pics from the album, to this thread.