PDA

View Full Version : Dual Action Cassette!!

bonny790
02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
That's right, went out to my 2008 LHT (only mention to indicate it's not extremely old, maybe 10k miles) this morning (I keep my bike locked up outside [under a tarp during inclemental weather]) and went to turn the crank, guess what, I had freewheel in both directions! I was pissed and perplexed. I was getting ready to dig out my backup bike and was jossling around my LHT when I suddenly noticed that it was normal-ish so I hopped on and rode in. It was mostly normal except for about a quarter turn within the forst 50' where it frewheeled then caught. I'm assuming it's because the pawl was not returning down onto the ratchet tooth. I'm not entirely sure the mechanics involved but htat would make sence. My question is; has anyone ever had this happen before? I've never even heard of it happening, so I don't know if it's a sign of certain doom or something I can casually ignore and chalk up to a single freak event possibly relating to the cold. It wasn't even that cold because the brakes and shifting were flawless.

Thoughts??

Spiffy
02-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm assuming it's because the pawl was not returning down onto the ratchet tooth.

that's my assumption too... sounds like it dried up in there and is sticking...

but yeah, it's usually the opposite problem, where it is non-freewheel in both directions...

I think you just happened to park it with the pawl at the top of the gear tooth...