PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love them self sealing tubes...

K'Tesh
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
The other night, I was riding home, when I heard that all to annoying pssst... pssst... pssst... as my front wheel was spinning. I stopped, felt the pressure of the tire, and it was holding. Since it was keeping most of the air, I pressed on so I could get some homework emailed in time for the midnight cut off (5% of my grade). I tried to catch a bus, but alas it was too late for them, and too far to try for another route.

The tire held up all the way home, and the next morning too. Just in case, I added some pressure (not any more than usual) in the morning, and its still holding up.

Self Sealing Tubes... Ya gotta love em. :D

Spiffy
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
after 5 flats in 7 months I finally got a Slime brand tube... only had it in a week so we'll see how well it works but I'm hoping to make it another 7 months with no flats...

edki
02-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I've been running Conti Gatorskins since November '09 and I've had one flat in that time. That set is sarting to get a bit worn so it might be time to replace them but I've been very satisifed with their performance to date. Mind you I do try to not run over too much broken glass or other identifiable hazards. Fwiw: I generally ride 250 to 300 miles per month (commuting and living life).

My understanding is that the slime tubes tend not to perform well at higher pressures (100+psi). Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Simple Nature
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I would still recommend carrying an emergency tube.
Slimed tubes don't patch very well when you have too.
YMMV.

thumbprinterr
02-10-2011, 07:55 AM
i've been using panaracer urban max tires for the last couple of years and have to yet to get a single flat while riding (knocking on wood). of course i still carry tube/patch kit etc just in case... been nice to not have to use any of it though. i did get a slow leak after a rainy ride when a small disc of glass gradually wedged its way into the tire leaving a decent gash. i superglued it closed, seems to be working fine...
the ride quality of the panaracers seems great, they are 32c, i didn't notice a huge difference from the kenda or gatorskin 25s i had on previously (other than the lack of flats), lots of confidence in almost any kind of terrain and weather..
i was getting a lot of flats w/the gatorskins but i've heard that other people have good luck with em.