PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Ortlieb Zipper

Oldguyonabike
01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Maybe its just the recent cold weather, but the waterproof zipper on my Ortlieb bag doesn't reliably separate lately. I have to pry it open after moving it across to where I know is the open position.
Anyone else having this problem? Is it the cold temps or is there some king of maintenance lubricant I should apply?

whiney
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Rub some wax on it (a candle will work fine).

Oldguyonabike
01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
Any idea whether its the coldness in play or it just needs some lube?

biciclero
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Rub some wax on it (a candle will work fine).

Is this a zipper zipper, with teeth, or more like a ziploc bag zipper?

If it is a "normal" zipper, then +1 on the wax--

If it is a ziploc zipper, wax might gum it up to where the ridges and valleys won't seat properly. You might just have to follow the zipper along with your finger between the flaps to keep them separated...?

Oldguyonabike
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Its a plastic grooved zipper that I've never seen elsewhere. "Patent pending" and I've looked at it and really don't understand how it works. And it works well. I don't think a little wax would hurt it. I'm tempted to try a small dap of ball bearing grease. We'll see...

scoot
01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I like bar soap for a sticky zipper - works great for a regular sticky zipper and not likely to hurt anything if it's not the best thing for this zipper. I doubt if it's the cold making it stick - more likely just use and time. Some zippers just need a shot of lube every now and then.