PDA

View Full Version : Cycling With Your Camera - What Is The Best Way?

OuterToob
10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I've been researching different ways to carry a DSLR and a couple of lenses on a bike and I wanted to see if anyone has experience with taking their nice camera on long rides (50 miles or more). Personally I'm trying to avoid attaching a bag full of camera stuff to my body. But it seems that when people put their cameras in a pannier or on the rear rack etc the normal road vibration has negative consequences on their sensitive equipment.

If you happen to do this sort of thing please let me know how you like to carry your camera & equipment around and any pros and cons about your set up.

Thanks in advance!

OuterToob

K'Tesh
10-21-2010, 10:31 AM
He's the one who carries LARGE cameras on him... I carry a Panasonic Digital camera, but it doesn't have all the large lenses that a DSLR would.

Please share your shots w/us.

OnTheRoad
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Depending on what kind of mount they have, some handlebar bags have quite a bit of shock absorption. They cushion more than a trunk rack mounted on a rear carrier, but maybe similar to a pannier as far as bounce.

I like the easier access a handlebar bag gives. Don't have to dismount to reach a camera in a pannier. So I wind up taking more shots. The one I have is big enough for a DSLR but not for extra lenses.

OuterToob
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Good advice K-Tesh.

On the Road - it sounds like you use a handlebar bag - is it camera specific - could you let me know who makes it? I saw Ortleib makes something like that, but wasn't sure about it's true functionality.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

OnTheRoad
10-26-2010, 08:44 AM
The one I have is Topeak. Here's a link to it on REI website.

http://www.rei.com/product/735854

It is not camera-specific. I wish it were bigger, but makes a pretty good camera bag, even off the bike. One feature it has a removable belt to make it into a fanny-pack-type bag.

OuterToob
10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the link OTR!