PDA

View Full Version : Good videocam for biking?

drosen
10-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm going to France next summer to conquer the Alpe d'Huez. It's my dream to climb that mountain by bike. Anyway, I'd like to record it via video. What's a good bike cam that people are using? Most likely I'll mount it to my helmet. So, what are people using? Thanks for the advice.

DR

brewcaster
10-17-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't own one, but pretty sure there is nothing better than these for the price:
http://www.goprocamera.com/products/?area=2

zpl
10-17-2010, 07:18 PM
The single most important thing to keep in mind is that the wider-angle the lens is, the less vibration will ruin the viewability of the video.

I have owned a couple of video cams for recording my bike rides, and if I had to buy one today, that GoPro referenced above is the one I'd pick.

Stay away from Oregon Scientific cameras! They are completely useless.

Also, get some practice riding with the camera on your helmet and build up your neck muscles before your trip. You will fatigue your neck faster with a helmet-mounted camera. But I highly recommend mounting it on your helmet, which experiences much less vibration than you'd get if it were mounted to the bike.

Scott

OuterToob
10-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I'd also suggest that you'll want to test out the battery life on the camera you get - if you have 5 hours of battery, and you have an 8 hour ride it would be a drag to miss the actual arrival to the top or any of the descent.

David Henderson
10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
This is my dream thread! I have written all about this topic and it is basically one of the focuses of my blog site. The best video camera for cycling is without a doubt the HD Hero camera. The Contour camera is very similar but doesn't have to amazing mounting system that is extremely adaptable and several other features the the HD Hero camera has including super-slow motion with 60frames/second and underwater filming abilities (film in the rain.... no problemo). Also there are many other cool features. To see what the heck I'm talking about see my post on the topic: http://myworldfromabicycle.blogspot.com/2010/09/buy-best-high-definition-video-camera.html

Additionally I offer special incentives to buy the camera buying through my blogsite.

I hope this is helpful. Any questions throw them my way