PDA

View Full Version : Fanno Creek Trail (East) needs HELP!

K'Tesh
10-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Most believe that the Fanno Creek Trail ends at SW Denny, on the west side of Hwy217. Actually, the path is found on roads East of Hwy 217. Now a off road option is being seriously looked at. Problem is, as always, the neighbors. The neighbors who live on the opposite side of the creek from the trail alignment apparently are upset by the possible loss of privacy. These are apparently the same people who were shocked to find out that a registered sex offender was living in the woods that the trail would come through (WHAT?!). These neighbors are loud, and are rallying the neighborhood against the trail.

We need to get possible trail users out to the meeting on 10/13 to make the case for the trail.

Below is a message from THPRD that gives the details.

Please come out to the meeting! Get Involved! The trail you want needs your help!
K'Tesh

Good afternoon everyone.
I am writing to you to let you know that THPRD’s Fanno Creek Trail project (from Scholls Ferry Road to the former Greenwood Inn site) is scheduled to go before the Beaverton Planning Commission on October 13. Specifically, the Planning Commission will hear a request to modify an existing condition of approval that would prohibit the placement of the trail 688’ south of the centerline of Allen Boulevard at the Metro property (end of Fallbrook Place). However, the entire trail segment will also be up for discussion.

THPRD would like to request your support for the project to the Planning Commission. Letters of support can be submitted to:
Jana Fox, Assistant Planner
Community Development Department, City of Beaverton
PO Box 4755
Beaverton, Oregon 97076
Better yet would be a personal appearance at the Planning Commission meeting on the 13th at 6:30PM.

Please find attached some possible talking points to include in any letters or public testimony. THPRD is expected a show of opposition to the project from several people living near the project area. THPRD desires to have an equal (or greater) showing of support for the project and strongly encourages you to consider submitting a letter or attending the hearing. Development applications are available for review at City Hall or you can contact me with any questions.

Please feel free to pass this along to others who have an interest in the project and would be willing to show support. Thank you and we look forward to your support.

Brad

Brad Hauschild . Park Planner
Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District
5500 SW Arctic Drive; Suite #2 . Beaverton, Oregon . 97005
p. 503.629.6305 ext. 2931 . f. 503.629.6307
bhauschild@thprd.org . www.thprd.org

K'Tesh
10-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Fanno Creek Talking Points

½-mile off-street multi-use regional trail

[ ]Part of a 15-mile regional trail system

[ ]Approximately half is built, including nearly 4 miles in THPRD’s service area

[ ]Helps connects users to neighborhoods, commercial & employment areas, transit, schools, parks, & other trails (like the 40-Mile Loop Trail)

Fills a much need gap in the existing regional trail system

Supported by multiple long-range jurisdictional plans

[ ]THPRD Trails Master Plan, since 19998

[ ]COB Comprehensive Plan, since 1970s

[ ]COB Transportation Plan, since 1998

[ ]WACO Transportation Plan, since 2002

[ ]Metro Trails & Greenways Plan, since 1997

Setback from Fanno Creek & residences as much as possible

[ ]Follows the industrial properties & existing development patterns

Improves current flood condition

[ ]Increased flood storage capacity at BSD site by creating new wetlands $ enhancing existing wetlands

[ ]“No rise” certification for 10-year flood events, which exceeds the City’s requirement (100-year flood event)

Improves natural areas

[ ]Invasive species removal

[ ]Adding over 1,000 native trees & 5,000 shrubs

Community planning effort

[ ]Spans over 10 years

[ ]Proposed alignment reflects a number of design revisions based on public feedback & input

[ ]4 citizen planning committee meetings – committee consisted of property owners (residential, business) & interested citizens

[ ]4 NAC meetings for input & project updates

Addresses a regional need for trails but does not compromise local conditions of nearby businesses

Successful partnership of local agencies; business & property owners; patrons & homeowners; & trail users

Improves bike commuter routes & accessibility

Improves community livability, health, & opportunities for recreation

wsbob
10-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Kind of scanned over it quickly today, but this may be the same issue that the Oregonian reported on a year ago (p.s. I commented to that story. On O-Live, wsbtown is the name I was obliged to use):

Proposed Fanno Creek Trail extension upsets Beaverton neighborhood
By Bill Oram, The Oregonian
October 28, 2009, 6:00PM (http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2009/10/proposed_fanno_creek_trail_ext.html)

Article's accompanied by a map, which unfortunately, is not a high-res image that can be zoomed in on for a closer look. Fairly certain it's the area in question. That seems to be 217 on the lower left border of the image.

http://media.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty_impact/photo/fanno-trail14510155jpg-84361759fdd56e0a.jpg

Haven_kd7yct
10-04-2010, 08:13 AM
So... wait... the neighbors aren't upset that there's a registered sex offender living in the woods behind their houses, they're upset that having a trail might make it easier for the SO to move around?

If this portion ends up like any of the other parts of the FCT, it will be fairly well-traveled and open and clean-- which makes it hard for furtive activities to happen.

So the neighbors prefer a wooded, brushy area that's easy to hide in, and easier to conduct illicit activities, than a well-used trail?

Weird.

wsbob
10-04-2010, 10:54 AM
So... wait... the neighbors aren't upset that there's a registered sex offender living in the woods behind their houses, they're upset that having a trail might make it easier for the SO to move around?

If this portion ends up like any of the other parts of the FCT, it will be fairly well-traveled and open and clean-- which makes it hard for furtive activities to happen.

So the neighbors prefer a wooded, brushy area that's easy to hide in, and easier to conduct illicit activities, than a well-used trail?

Weird.

I haven't been over to this particular area of Fanno Creek where the trail would go through. Have though, been on other bike trails in Beaverton that pass close to people's back yards. I can certainly understand property owners that have been used to and enjoying natural wooded areas adjoining one or more borders of their property, having reservations about the prospect of potentially high volume public byways passing through such areas.

For people that really enjoy largely untraveled natural settings adjoining their property, it could feel like quite a loss to have strangers passing through those adjoining lands throughout the day. That's the reality of living near places where public infrastructure needs to be built. One upside for the neighbors living next to the proposed route of this extension of the multi-use Fanno Creek Trail, is that the neighbors will have some of the best access to the trail.

Kt, unless you've heard to the contrary, I would not presume that the neighbors weren't upset that a registered sex offender was living in the woods behind their houses. K'teshs post noted that the neighbors were surprised to find such a person living in the woods...not that they didn't care.

It's no secret that undeveloped, wooded areas are attractive to other types of people besides those that are decent, morally, and ethically upstanding. People with sordid past and present lifestyles seek those places out as well. Those kind of people can often move in and camp in such areas...sometimes be there for awhile before people catch on. Getting them evicted can be complicated and expensive. I know someone that had to deal with such a situation.

Which gets back to another possible upside to having a public trail pass through this area: people using the trail will likely serve as surveillance that some property owners don't have the time or inclination to themselves perform.

q`Tzal
10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Zoning and common law give some ability for a property owner to prevent direct loss of value and/or use of said property.
As this change is not occurring on the complainant's property they have little room for litigation: the trail will not curtail normal use of their properties and arguably the market value will go up given proximity to recreational amenities.

Doesn't matter if it leaves them steamed: if it was this important to them they should have bought all the lots in the entire area.

Of course I imagine these are they same hypocrites that will complain that others are allowed to do things to their property without consulting them and yet decry the fascist eminent domain state.

k7ty
10-06-2010, 12:53 PM
My response sent to

Jana Fox, Assistant Planner
Community Development Department, City of Beaverton
PO Box 4755
Beaverton, Oregon 97076

Hello. Please add my support to the THPRD project to complete the Fanno Creek Trail (FCT) from SW 105th to Scholls Ferry Rd. My support comes from two areas:

As a business owner with two buildings in the business park on the north side of SW Allen Blvd, directly across from this trail section, I whole-heartedly support this expansion. Many of our employees bicycle commute on the FCT. They use both the FCT section terminating at SW Denny and Hwy 217 and the FCT terminating at SW Allen and SW 92nd. At either of these terminations, the bicycle facilities end; there are no bicycle facilities — bike lane or otherwise —on either SW Allen or SW Denny. The proposed section of trail provides safe bicycle facilities for a large portion of this gap. The lack of safe bicycle facilities is the number one barrier mentioned on employee surveys inhibiting more of them bike commuting to EasyStreet.

My other support arises from my desire to support safe and connected off-street paths, which encourage citizens to adopt a more active lifestyle as demonstrated, by the various trail and master plans of THPRD and Metro. These plans reflect years of community input. Making progress on these plans is good for the community by improving health, livability and opportunities for recreation.

The Fanno Creek Trail project fills a major gap in the off-street, multi-use trail portfolio of the region.

Thank you for listening.

John Beaston
Co-founder
EasyStreet Online Services

fearlesscyclist
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Following is the substance of what I intend to say to the BPC on the 13th.

The neighbors are the same ones who voiced the same opposition in 1998 when the connecting over Fanno Creek to what was the Greenwood Inn property. They complained then of alcohol bottles, needles, condoms, and a mattress at the end of a cul-de-sac on SW 105th street where the trail eventually cut through.

Before the inn was torn down and the path not blocked off at the north end of the bridge as it is now, the detritus disappeared. What also changed was the increase of business activity in that area. That also reduced the likelihood of nefarious goings on on the short, existing portion north of Denny Road. It remains safe.

With the completion of this path, eyes, ears, cell phones cameras will do what a dead end could not; make the trail safe and convenient for all users.

wsbob
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Following is the substance of what I intend to say to the BPC on the 13th.

The neighbors are the same ones who voiced the same opposition in 1998 when the connecting over Fanno Creek to what was the Greenwood Inn property. They complained then of alcohol bottles, needles, condoms, and a mattress at the end of a cul-de-sac on SW 105th street where the trail eventually cut through.

Before the inn was torn down and the path not blocked off at the north end of the bridge as it is now, the detritus disappeared. What also changed was the increase of business activity in that area. That also reduced the likelihood of nefarious goings on on the short, existing portion north of Denny Road. It remains safe.

With the completion of this path, eyes, ears, cell phones cameras will do what a dead end could not; make the trail safe and convenient for all users.

Some of the people reading here might benefit from some clarification about what's being discussed: Looking at the aerial photo of the area in question, that I posted in comment #3, I'm fairly certain the cleared area shown in the upper left hand corner of the photo is the former site of the Greenwood Inn. Fearless Cyclist, comment #8, mentions SW 105th St: that would also be in the general area to the left side of the picture, most likely where the picture is marked with the green lines.

Notice that the proposed additions to the Fanno Creek trail run considerably east of SW 105th St. I'm wondering if it's other neighbors besides those that had issues with trail development back in '98, that are uneasy with the newly proposed trail expansion.

I tried to get a hold of a google aerial map with the street names on it. Either doesn't exist, or I don't know how to make it work. Looking at a map with street names on it, I believe the big road shown in the picture as running at an angle, is Allen Avenue.

It's exciting to note that there's some substantial wooded areas along this proposed trail route, particularly that relatively big block near the eastern section of the trail before it turns in a more northeastern direction, but also just to the east of the former Greenwood Inn site, where all the buses are parked.

McKinley
10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Here is the link to the City's staff report that recommends approval of the trail.
http://www.beavertonoregon.gov/departments/CDD/Planning/DevelopmentProjects/StaffReport/dr2009_0123.pdf
Page 5 has a map that shows the trail as it goes from 217 east to Scholls Ferry.

wsbob
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
McKinley ...thanks for posting a link to the planning commission document. It's a lot of legal reading to wade through, but worth the effort. The maps are helpful. If I'm reading it correctly, the map on page 6 indicates the large parcel of woods on the southeastern side of the trail proposal is zoned 'IP' (industrial park). It would be great if that parcel could be kept undeveloped. Looks like THPRD has the parcel on the northwest side of the trail in its inventory.

K'Tesh
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Tonight the Planning Commission voted 6 to 0 to approve the trail segment... (and I left my camera at home [DAMN!])

We WON!!!!
K'Tesh

wsbob
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
From yesterday, the Oregonian has a story"

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2010/12/a_push_to_create_mid-block_cro.html

It talks about the broader issue of THPRD, and if all goes well, Beaverton and Hillsboro also devoting funds towards improving mid-block crossings with signs, painted crosswalks and pedestrian activated flashing yellow lights. The treacherous Hall Blvd/Fanno Creek Trail crossing is mentioned and is depicted in two photos accompanying the story. Story says the parks district is accomplishing its improvements of this type out of $15mil set aside for trail projects.