PDA

View Full Version : Teen Struck By School Bus In Beaverton

K'Tesh
09-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I heard on KPTV that a 13 year old girl was riding her bike by the Arts and Communications Magnet Academy (on SW Center, Beaverton) and run over by a school bus - TWICE.

I saw the activity as I was going out my door to Tualatin, but didn't rubberneck, so I didn't know what was happening until I got home.

Apparently the girl's leg was run over when she was struck by the bus, then the driver backed up, and ran over her foot. From the news, it's not life threatening, but still I feel for her.

My Prayers are for a Full and Fast Recovery
God Bless!
K'Tesh

wsbob
09-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Link to the online KPTV story: Bus Runs Over 13-Year-Old's Leg In Beaverton POSTED: 3:19 pm PDT September 9, 2010/KPTV (http://www.kptv.com/news/24946700/detail.html)

http://www.kptv.com/2010/0909/24946788_640X480.jpg

Proving that bystanders well intentioned directions aren't always helpful: From the KPTV story: "... "Basically, I was the second person to her, and I was looking at her and I could see the bus tire was on her leg. So the guy yelled to back up, and it backed over her foot. It was just unbelievable. The poor girl was in so much pain, it was unreal. I couldn't take it -- I had to back away while other people were running up to help her," said Gilbert Wiley. ..."

I wish buses had hydraulic jacks on their four corners (some motor homes and travel trailers have them), so on those occasions when a bus rolls over and stays positioned on top of a victims leg (in Portland that I can think of, this is the second of such coincidences within the last 4 weeks), the vehicle could be lifted directly off the injured person's body or limb, instead of rolling back over it again to get it off the person.

What can be seen in the picture, suggests the girl on the bike was traveling in the bike lane on the side of the street closest to the school grounds. I've ridden through here many times, so I'm fairly certain the sight lines are good from both driver and cyclist vantage points as they relate to this collision. Other than school related traffic as the school day begins and ends, traffic is light.

The O also had the story:

Beaverton student on bike collides with school bus at Arts & Communication Magnet Academy/Wendy Owen, Oregonian/Published: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 4:50 PM (http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2010/09/beaverton_student_on_bike_collides_with_school_bus _at_arts_communication_magnet_academy.html)

Been out of town for a couple days. Just learned that KGW also has a story on this collision. Here's an excerpt:

"... Beaverton Police PIO Pam Yazzolino says both the girl and the bus were leaving a busy parking lot at the end of the school day. The girl was biking the wrong way in the entrance lane with the bus in the exit lane.
The girl, trying to cross in front of the bus, turned right directly into the moving bus, hitting the bus behind the left front tire. Yazzolino says there was no way the bus driver could have seen the girl. No citations will be issued. ..."

Cheryl Calm and KGW.com Staff and Mike Benner/Posted on September 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM Updated Friday, Sep 10 at 3:36 PM

Beaverton girl on bike run over by school bus/Cheryl Calm and KGW.com Staff and Mike Benner (http://www.kgw.com/news/local/7th-grade-girl-collides-with-bus-in-Beaverton-102581444.html)

Spiffy
09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
yikes!

I'm sure there will be a front page story up here soon...

and then everybody can start hurrying to blame the bus driver... c(:

wsbob
09-10-2010, 08:31 AM
yikes!

I'm sure there will be a front page story up here soon...

and then everybody can start hurrying to blame the bus driver... c(:

Unlike the 6th and Morrison collision in downtown Portland, in this collision, bike and bus appear to possibly have been traveling perpendicular to each other. If that's so, and the bike was traveling in the bike lane in the direction of the bus, the driver would need to yield to traffic on the street before attempting to enter the street. Not enough details yet, to know exactly how the collision happened.

K'Tesh
09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
The cyclist was in the bike lane on SW Center and going straight, the bus was coming out of a drive way. The driver didn't yield to the cyclist.

Haven_kd7yct
09-10-2010, 10:01 AM
K'Tesh, that's exactly what I thought when I read the story in the O this morning. The bus was pulling out of a driveway, the bus driver had the responsibility to make sure the right of way was clear of EVERYTHING before pulling out-- bikes, peds, dogs, other vehicles.

That didn't happen.

Hopefully the girl doesn't have any lasting injuries and impediments!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery....

q`Tzal
09-10-2010, 08:48 PM
When I was commuting east bound through Milwaukee on SE Lake near SE 23rd Ave several years ago I learned to leave early enough to avoid the school bus rush.
SE 23rd has a stop sign at SE Lake but this did not stop a school bus driver from blowing the stop sign for a left turn and coming far enough across the road to run me off the road over the curb.
Two amazing things attest to the uniform low standards for school bus drivers:

None of the school buses stopped or even seemed to slow down for the stop sign but a car following several vehicles behind did.
These @$#^!#$^ are dumb enough to drive like this in a public vehicle with large identification markings.

Back in 1990-1993 South and North Carolina were found to have 76% & 79% respectively of their bus drivers with no high school diploma nor GED.
Lack of education in and of it self is not a direct indicator of poor driving skills but school bus driver is one of those jobs that people can get without any skills or education. My small sample of school bus drivers, 12 years, across several states has show a great many to be angry at the world and willing to take it out on anything that can't complain; usually this is the riders.

wsbob
09-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I've updated my comment #2 with a link to the KGW story and an excerpt from it.

There are different ways this collision could have happened. I've yet to read a news or police report stating the girl on the bike was riding in the bike lane prior to the collision. The KGW doesn't say so. It says in part:

"... The girl was biking the wrong way in the entrance lane with the bus in the exit lane.
The girl, trying to cross in front of the bus, turned right directly into the moving bus, hitting the bus behind the left front tire. Yazzolino says there was no way the bus driver could have seen the girl. ..."

Check out this google earth view of the school. This aerial view dates back to before recent construction of a new auditorium on the west side of the building. The street level view in comment #2 is of the bus at the west exit. Point being, that the west side drive you see in the pic is a two-way drive.

In this dated picture, the roadway running across the front of the school, (the south side) is marked with white directional arrows for westward travel only. I think buses still use this road, but I'm not sure. Rather than riding in the bike lane on Center, the girl on the bike may have been riding this road on school property, and from there, along and across the west side entrance lane of the driveway before the collision.

Incidental details: The little silver rectangles on south and east sides of the building, mark some of the entrances to the school.

The blue line on the road, on the right side of this picture (the east side of the site) is, I think, 114th, and it's kind of a rapidly rising grade from south to north. :

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_n9hUsKEqnng/TI2lbaNlzKI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/jQt7_6X1Z80/s800/google%20earth%20image%20of%20Arts%20and%20Communi cation%20High%20School.jpg