PDA

View Full Version : bike route question

Haven_kd7yct
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
So... I'm currently and temporarily living in Willamette while my house in Tigard gets re-built.

I'd really like to still commute by bike, from Willamette to Durham and back, but am having trouble finding good SAFE routes to take.

Can anyone out here give me any suggestions?? I'm going crazy out here, especially with all this nice weather!! Plus, I can feel my fitness draining away, day by day, and no amount of walks with the dog (we're up to 2.25 miles every day with a few days at 3 miles) is going to help me out here.

Help!!!

lynnef
06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Borland to Stafford to Childs, through Lk Oz?
Borland to 65th to Tualatin-Sherwood?

look at the routes here (http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/west+linn,+or); something might work.

Haven_kd7yct
06-24-2010, 07:57 AM
I'd rather stick to roads that have at least a shoulder, if possible-- Borland and Stafford are high speed (not rated high speed, but the traffic always seems to move above 40 through there) and twisty with no shoulders, Childs is almost as bad.

Bent Bloke
06-24-2010, 09:07 AM
I used to live out there (20 years ago) and don't remember many streets with shoulders. You might try 19th to Johnson to Stafford to Childs (I haven't ridden on Childs, but maybe Lynnef has). That will keep you off Borland. Dollar street is nice and parallels Borland, but doesn't extend beyond the Willamette district.

lynnef
06-24-2010, 09:48 AM
granted, I've only ridden them on weekends...

jr98664
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Well, it looks like no one is paying much attention to the sleeping giant in the room. If it's shoulders you want, you can't get much better than I-205. This stretch is perfectly legal.

While you might not first think of it as a great place to cycle, I love freeways. They have smooth, consistently wide shoulders, along with clearly demarcated lines for the cars to follow. As such, you don't have to worry much about being buzzed or any right/left/upside down/backwards/etc. hooks. Intersections are the most dangerous part of the road for any vehicle, including bicycles; on freeways there are no intersections. Once you're comfortable with on- and off-ramps, you're all set. As an added bonus, the airflow from the traffic on the freeway helps push you right along—it's an instant tailwind.

Getting on at 10th Street, you would only have to ride through one interchange at Stafford Road. I've ridden through here before, and this interchange has some of the longest paved gore (the triangle between the highway and ramps) strips I know of. This makes merging very easy, as you have hundreds of feet in which to do it. Worst case scenario, you can just take the exist and go straight back on, no merging required. I-5 south of OR 217 is also perfectly legal to cycle on, and as such, you can take it right up to Durham.

In my personal experience, the Nyberg interchange can have quite a bit of traffic at times. The easiest option would probably be to exit there (you get a nice view of the marsh) and ride from there. This avoids having to merge across an off-ramp, along with two on-ramps. The same is true for the reverse commute. The merge on I-5 SB at the Nyberg on-ramp can be a bit tricky, so I would recommend avoiding it by just getting on the freeway at Nyberg. You take the exit to I-205 first thing, and you don't have to cross a single exit until Stafford Road. The exit to Stafford Road is now also an exit-only lane, making merging that much easier by taking out the guess work.

It's one of the most pleasant stretches of freeway that I know of, so it might be worth worth a try. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes your commute that much faster.

Haven_kd7yct
06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I thought the entire length of 205 was off limits to bikes? Otherwise, that does sound like an option...

My other thought was to circle around Wil Falls Dr to 43, jump off at Old River Rd into LO, then Iron Mtn to Boones and down into Durham. That's about 13.5 miles or so and is quite round-about; I haven't gone to look at it yet, so don't know how it would be during commuting hours.

jeff
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
jr's correct, I-205 west of the Willamette River is open to bikes - this according to the Oregon state bike map (older version).

tho I don't share jr's affection for freeway riding, since there's only a few on/off ramps to cross, possibly not too bad - ?

jeff
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
here's a thought, based only on looking at maps and not on any real world cycling experience. So caveat emptor.

Looks like you can follow Johnson out of Willamette, crosses the freeway, and runs into Borland. It's reasonably low traffic - 1500 mv's a day (compared with 8k on Stafford, for instance) - but I have no idea what it's like. Shows up on the new Metro bike map, for what it's worth. At Borland you make a right (north) and have to ride less than 1/2 mile to Childs - no way around it that i can see. Then Childs (about 3 or 4K mv's a day) for about a mile, cut through the neighborhood to Bryant, which runs into Jean (bike lanes), which gets you to Lower Boones Ferry/Durham.

DaveT
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I've ridden the Johnson/Borland/Childs route many times, but only on weekends. Johnson is a nice ride. The 1/2 mile uphill on Borland will certainly be the worst, no shoulders & fast traffic plus a left turn onto Childs.