PDA

View Full Version : Oh! I Have Just Gotta Get Me One Of These...

K'Tesh
06-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Dear Santa,

I've been a REAL GOOD BOY this year. I was at the BTA's Alice Awards Ceremony when I spotted this jacket...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4681437498_6f5b48cf13.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/4681437498/in/set-72157624104144861)
WOW!!! Now that's a cycling jacket...

And I'd like a new...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Spiffy
06-08-2010, 08:02 AM
wow, that's awesome!

did you catch the brand? or where they got it?

I had a really hard time trying to find a jacket with a lot of reflectivity...

wsbob
06-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll be surprised if that jacket doesn't cost a small fortune and breathe about as a well as a wetsuit. It certainly is reflective though, and I like that.

Where manufacturers could really gain some marketing points:

Those backpacks with the pocket centered on the back of the pack? They're usually about 6 by 8 inches square. Make some packs available with that pocket out of the reflective material. I see a lot of people riding with hi-viz jackets, and a dark colored backpack worn over it. That tells me that if packs built with larger panels of reflective material were available, people would buy them. Those packages of aftermarket add-on reflective material that can be bought are not going to capture the market like a professionally designed pack with the material will.

Most biking jackets that use reflective material use so little of it. It's used for example, as piping, while 90 percent of the garment is some dark non-reflective material.

Spiffy
06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Most biking jackets that use reflective material use so little of it. It's used for example, as piping, while 90 percent of the garment is some dark non-reflective material.

exactly! that's why I went with a cheap bright yellow shell instead of a Showers Pass one with as much reflective material as I could get (which wasn't much) for twice the price...

and you're probably right about it not being breathable... but it's hard to tell from the photo... almost looks like tarp material...

lynnef
06-08-2010, 11:02 AM
If you want to get even more bang for your buck on reflective material, wear it on a moving part of your body - reflective ankle strips, for example.

That's possibly why pedal reflectors are in so many state bicycle regulations.

Lynne "too many rides in the small hours of the morning with my friends, the Tron lookalikes..." F

q`Tzal
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
It's gotta be the flash but that jacket looks like the perfect accompaniment to a tinfoil hat.

Spiffy
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
so far I've found a company called Stone Island that made reflective jackets... but I can't find any new products for sale, only old vintage ones... and the jacket in the photo looks like a new shell...