PDA

View Full Version : Lookin at a new bike

letsroll
05-05-2010, 07:40 AM
My current bike is too small (got it when I was 15) and I finally have some extra coin. The Trek Portland http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/portland/portland/ The fenders suck but those are easy to replace.

To be honest it has been so long since I have looked at bikes I don't know if the components are that good. Looked at Specialized and Giant but they did not have anything that caught my eye. Any other bikes I should check out?

Want to buy at LBS to support but mostly cause like to test ride anything before I buy.

hemp22
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
It all depends on what you're looking for - but there should be plenty of options out there.
The Trek Portland looks like a nice commuter setup - so, some questions would be:
Do you have a preference for frame material? the portland is Alumimum w/ carbon fork. Some other touring/commuting bikes are steel - would that be OK?

Any other "must-haves"? Drop bars? disc brakes?

Some particular bikes to consider, that could be similar to the Trek Portland:
Lemond Poprad Disc (these aren't made anymore, you'd have to find a used one. steel frame)
Kona Dew Drop (aluminum frame, steel fork - about half the price of a trek portland - but also components may be lower level - check out Sellwood Cycles - they should have them in stock.)

Consider searching/shopping for "touring" bikes, since they usually are easily set up with rack&fenders, and have a little more relaxed & stable geometry.
Or, look at cyclocross bikes for something lighter - they generally have clearance for full fenders, and also can often be found with disc brakes.

letsroll
05-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Drop bars and room for fenders and decent components are the must. Want to be able to put full fenders, not the cut and fit setup I have now. Not totally sold on the idea of panniers, but thinking about them.

boneshaker
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
The Salsa Vaya & Casseroll come to mind. I ride a Surly Crosscheck to & from work and love it for the dependability. Sellwood Cycles has the Kona Honky Tonk, which is a mighty capable frame. It's a road bike that is designed to take long-reach brakes and full fenders. The stock spec is pretty low, but you can always buy a frame and have them build it up.

You should be able to find all of these around Portland. Universal in NW, Cyclepath in NE and River City all have Salsa's. Just about everyone stocks Cross Checks, but I bought mine from Revolver on N Interstate.

What's your price range? Do you have some $ budgeted for shoes, pedals, clothes, lights etc?

Ante
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Another steel framed and more 'touring' type upright drop-bar bike you might consider is the Raleigh Clubman. I got last year's model from River City Bikes during their annual sale and it was a pretty good deal. I believe they also sell it at Bike Gallery.

In addition to the Surly Crosscheck, there's always the Surly Long Haul Trucker. I looked at that, too, but it was more expensive for many of the same components, at least pre-built.

letsroll
05-06-2010, 05:40 AM
THanks guys I will go and check out the Surly, Salsa and the Raleigh. I have shoes and lights and clothing. Well I need to get new bike shorts (according to the g-friend), mine are 6 years old and looking it.

When does River City have there annual sale?

bonny790
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
+1 for Surly. I love my LHT. The long wheel base makes it sluggish in the turns, tends to go wide when you're going fast. Still catches me off guard sometimes. I like how it handles, but worth keeping in mind if you're looking for something more sporty in which case the CC will fit the bill. I just looked at the Raleigh and that looks pretty sweet!

fredlf
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about components. Find a frame that fits you and your needs. You can change components later, if need be. The shop may even be willing to swap some stuff out for a reasonable up-charge.

e.g. There's just not a big enough performance difference between Ultegra and Sora to justify one bike versus another.

boneshaker
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about components. Find a frame that fits you and your needs. You can change components later, if need be. The shop may even be willing to swap some stuff out for a reasonable up-charge.

e.g. There's just not a big enough performance difference between Ultegra and Sora to justify one bike versus another.

Hmmm, not sure if I totally agree. Now the difference between say Dura Ace & Ultegra isn't all that big, but the difference between 105 & Sora is pretty significant. Plus, changing out components is definitely not the cheapest way to go. A set of brifters alone can run $350 or $700+ for a group. It's less expensive in the long run to buy the components you want. Or build the frame you want up from the beginning.

biciclero
05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Worth a look.

Ante
05-07-2010, 02:06 PM
On when River City has their big sale, it was earlier this Spring and I think it will be a long wait until next year. :)

fredlf
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Hmmm, not sure if I totally agree. Now the difference between say Dura Ace & Ultegra isn't all that big, but the difference between 105 & Sora is pretty significant. Plus, changing out components is definitely not the cheapest way to go. A set of brifters alone can run $350 or $700+ for a group. It's less expensive in the long run to buy the components you want. Or build the frame you want up from the beginning.

I'm not saying there's no significant differences between components. I'm just saying that the differences between components are not as great as the differences between frames, and they are easier to change. So, my advice is to focus on getting the right frame first, and then compare components.

I say this based on working in shops. People get obsessed with one gruppo or another and come in asking for "an XTR mountain bike" or "your best Ultegra road bike", etc. and end up on ill-fitting, ill-suited bikes. I would always try to get them to consider the fit and feel of a frame first, but I did not always succeed.

YMMV.