PDA

View Full Version : The Bee incident

stinkylee
08-14-2006, 06:40 PM
I have got a great story for today's commute and it is completely true. I was riding my usual commute home to Portland today via pedaling down a rural road approaching the bridge that crosses the Columbia River. As I relaxed and let the pressures of the day unwind at an easy pace, a bee flew/blew into my mouth and stung me on the tongue! It was so sudden that I didn't have time to even yell. I spit the fellow out as fast as I could, but I could already feel my tongue swelling up. There I was 5 miles into my 25 mile commute. What could I do? I managed to finish the commute, but I am now talking with a lisp until the swelling goes down. What are the chances of that happening?!? And no I don't ride with my mouth hanging open normally; I was actually talking to my wife as we rode (we commute together). It was a commute for my record book.

nuovorecord
08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
What a thame! I thintherly hope your thwelling goeth down and that you're thpeaking normally thoon!

I had a bee fly into my jersey once and sting me while I was riding, but this episode far surpasses that! Hope it didn't hurt too much.

thomschoenborn
09-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I got stung on the lip in Mile 2 of the Portland Century last weekend.

Apparently, it was a bit of an omen for the ride.

My friend (a swim coach in Eugene) had a rotting rabbit carcass dropped on her by a vulture two years ago. No kidding. She was going over the hill in South Eugene headed toward I-5, and splat! Out of nowhere. She freaked. Her other friend threw up. Awesome ride, that one. I could not make this up.

mizake
09-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I was riding through Ladd's Addition when a bee crossed my path and went into my mouth. I instinctively blew it out, but it managed to grab on to my lower lip and sting me. Kind of sucked, but even more so for the bee.

RobCat
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
The very idea fills me with horror. :eek:

mizake
09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Oddly enough, about 30 min after I posted the above, I left work. On the way down the ramp leading to the Esplanade I was stung on the chin. AGAIN. I had to laugh.

RobCat
09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Dang!

I assume we're talking yellow-jackets? They aren't bees, by the way, and they get really testy when the weather starts flip-flopping. Our trap here on the balcony at home can stay empty for a week and then be a-swarm in one afternoon.

mizake
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
On both occasions I didn't see the little bastards. There was no swelling either time (although things felt swollen) and the pain abated after 15 minutes, down to a toothache levels.