PDA

View Full Version : 12/1/09 Beaverton's Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting

K'Tesh
11-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Beaverton's BAC will be meeting:
6:30 PM Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Beaverton City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room
4755 Griffith Drive, Beaverton, Oregon
The public may raise bicycle-related issues that are not on this agenda for possible Committee review at a subsequent meeting.

Here's a link to the Meeting Agenda (http://www.beavertonoregon.gov/departments/publicworks/transportation/docs/BACAgenda120109.pdf)'s pdf.

For more info, contact:
Margaret Middleton, Public Works
(503) 526-2424
mmiddleton@ci.beaverton.or.us

wsbob
12-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Mr. Branchfreebikelane...any news of note from the latest BAC meeting?

wsbob
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
For me, a rare drop-in to the Beav Advisory committee meeting tonight. They talked about so many things, it's hard to keep track of them, so I'll just pick elaborate on one item I've already written about elsewhere that might be of special interest. Coming up on Thursday, is a vote to decide whether to dispense with on street parking and replace it with striped bike lanes of Lombard.

Info available on this earlier thread: Beaverton Bike and Parking Restrictions Hearing 3/4/10 (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showpost.php?p=23215&postcount=5)

This is kind of a big deal, because the provision of bike lanes there, near as I can tell from listening to council members, would come about by way of an already established transportation plan procedure rather than by way of a study or survey determined demand of the area and its residents.

In other words...the bike lane is not necessarily going in because adjoining neighborhoods have called up city hall and said 'Hey! We want bike lanes on Lombard giving us a straight shot to the transit center!' Do neighbors want the bike lane there? I'm not sure it's understood well to any degree whether they do or not. Rumor is that some neighbors want the Lombard on street parking for when they have...I'll call it...'events'.

I've personally used the street for travel many times, so I know that some people park on Lombard, but it's rarely ever parked solid like neighborhoods in NW.23rd in Portland for example. Lombard is not an extremely high volume traffic street (one reason its very good for biking), but cars do move at a fairly good clip on it, so it's not in my opinion, a great street for parking (because it can be tough for drivers to get in and out of the car).

Lombard's the kind of street where a cyclist with modest 'in traffic' experience can do just fine in the main traffic lane (downhill more than uphill..natch). A bike lane though, would possibly open the door to a wide range of entry level and generally slower going people on bikes. And as always, sidepath law notwithstanding...the bike lane is a very handy refuge or congestion reliever for traffic in general when people on bikes have it available to pull over into to allow faster motor vehicle traffic to pass as needed.

If it can be established that area residents will not be unduly inconvenienced by the installation of bike lanes on Lombard, these proposed bike lanes seem like a good idea for many people needing to travel through Beaverton.

OutdoorDad
03-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the summation. Was there much opposution present? many in support? just those who were curious?

I think that the bike lane would be a great asset to the area as it should relieve some of the bike traffice off of the neighbooring higher car-volume busier - Hall Blvd.

K'Tesh
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the summation. Was there much opposution present? many in support? just those who were curious?

I think that the bike lane would be a great asset to the area as it should relieve some of the bike traffice off of the neighbooring higher car-volume busier - Hall Blvd.

There were questions asked about the need for bike lanes there, but for opposition, you need to go to the meeting on Thursday.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

wsbob
03-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Re; opposition/support; yes, as I understand it, the deal with discussion at the Beaverton Bicycle Advisory Committe meeting about bike lane installation on Lombard is that Beaverton Bicycle Advisory Committe members will be expected to vote on the issue at the Bike and Parking Restrictions Hearing on Thursday. So...council members were kind of hashing out the issue in order to help themselves decide where they individually stand on it.

I didn't think to ask, but my assumption is that members of the public not on the council or with the city, that show up to take a part in the hearing would be be able to offer comments but not themselves vote.

OutdoorDad
03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
When I was on a planning commission, that's pretty much how it went. One thing you need to keep in mind is that there will most likely be a sign-in sheet for those who wish to speak their mind (pro/con). This may or may not be announced - depending on the commitee. Some are more laid back and others are by-the-book as far as how meetings are run.

The general public does not get to vote in committee meetings - only voting members (some members are allowed to take part in the deliborations after the discussion is closed yet still can not vote). it depends on the committee and its makeup.

Those who bring the best (clear, informed, and rational) opinions tend to have the most impact. Handouts (with clear easy to understand images/graphics) have a great impact! Make enough for double the number of commission members (running out isn't good). This way they can look them over during deliberation and refer back to them while they discuss prior to making a decision.

wsbob
03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
AdventureDad...thanks for relating details from your experience on meeting process!

Another interesting item from the Tuesday night Bike Advisory Committee meeting. Due to my own issues, I was having difficulty following it, but the general lowdown is this:

Young woman 2nd floor apartment resident is not disposed to shlep her bike upstairs for storage, prefers to keep it locked and parked at a ground level complex provided bike rack. The following details are according to the young woman as near as I can recall her stating them. she says:

'Apartment complex owner provides but one staple rack for the entire complex, even though city code has a 'one for every 20' specification'.....it's poorly located in a low area that's frequently surrounded by standing water. The city code inspector has signed the complex off as 'complied' despite lack of compliance in regards to bike racks.'

A couple notes: I didn't note how many residents or apartments the complex has, and also, I haven't checked out what exactly the 'one for every 20' specification' calls for. One more thing...I did not catch exactly why it was that the young woman is under the impression the city code inspector had given the complex a 'complied' report (well, in a way, yes...because she related either that she's heard of, or seen the report that was marked 'complied'), while it still seems quite clear to her the bike rack issue hadn't been addressed.

The bike advisory committee had previously advised her to contact code compliance and the city attorney. They encouraged her again at this meeting to contact the city attorney. She's already put quite a bit of legwork into this...contacting city officials, going to the meetings, etc. ...but still, an insufficient supply of properly installed bike racks provided by her apartment complex, as required by city code.

My thought was...long term parking/storing a personal bike at a bike rack outdoors, even in one's own apartment complex would be more risk of theft than I'd personally want to take. Of course, I'm quite capable of hauling a bike upstairs or downstairs...it's a lot more work for some people.

OutdoorDad
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Here's the short on what I found in a quick search...

Beaverton Development Code
Chapter 60.30.10.5
Parking Ratio Requirements For Bicycles
Land Use Catagory / Minimum Required Bicycle Parking Spaces
Residential Uses --> short term / long term
Multi-family dwelling containing 4 or more dwelling units --> 2 spaces or 1 space per 20 dwelling units / 1 space per dwelling unit

(so if there are 30 apartment units, you'd need 2 short term bike stalls and 30 long term for a total of 32 bike stalls)

...there is the possibility of an exception depending on proximity to a transit stop, special needs residential, etc.

It also depends on when the place was built and the specifics of the code at that time.

Hope that helps.

wsbob
03-03-2010, 11:15 PM
AdventureDad...hey, thanks for looking that up and posting it. Could have done so myself, but it's good to see someone else interested. Kind of hope the young woman mentioned happens to check out this thread and possibly add something to the discussion. She left before the meeting was over, so I didn't get a chance to talk with her.

I'm curious what the deal was with the city inspector; whether he did everything by the book, whether something escaped his attention, or whether something went awry there.

wsbob
04-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote from the email notice I received for the next Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee (BAC) meeting coming up:

"...The next Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting will take place on May 4, 2010, at 6:30 p.m. in the Beaverton City Hall, 3nd Floor Conference Room. ..."

A little adenoidal inspired writing created there...or maybe just a simple typo. Meeting's got to be either on the 2nd or 3rd floor wouldn't you think? Definitely not the 1st, because that's where the big political shindig (forum) is taking place from 6:30-9pm. Schouten's scheduled, Bukholder, Stacey, San Soucie....just to name some of those appearing that people in this forum might be most interested in hearing. Other interesting candidates scheduled to appear: Duyck, Bode, Henry Kane.

Something else makes this event one to consider if the candidates time up on the podium doesn't quite have you jumping off the bike....refreshments provided by The Dessert Tray. Mmmm-hmmm. Sin-n-n-nfully delicious schocolate..nyick,nyick, nyick...ah-h-h-h! You can wag your finger at me if I'm wrong.