PDA

View Full Version : Buses, and Bicycle Fenders??

PhilipP
10-28-2009, 07:04 AM
OK, so I'm new here, looking at all the ways to travel, I'd like to find a way from Vancouver (orchards area) to downtown Portland. Route 30 runs right by my house in Vancouver.

I was thinking bus/bicycle combo routing, I just put fenders on my TREK SU100, now I see some of the local buses here, and I'm not sure that the support bar, that you move will fit on top of my bicycle wheel with fenders.

I have never carried my bicycle on a bus before, will my new fenders prevent me from mounting the bicycle on the front of the bus?

zpl
10-28-2009, 07:31 AM
You should be able to raise the bar onto the front wheel in such a way that it does not touch your front fender. The bar is spring-loaded so it snugs down tight and shouldn't slip if you have it close to the top of the front wheel.

Here is a YouTube video that shows how to load you bike onto a bus rack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOKMsC6Hv9Q

Scott

scdurs
10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
When I put my fendered bike on a C-Tran bus rack I slide the hook underneath the fender a couple of inches. Don't force it between the tire and fender or you may crack the fender. This only works if you have some fender clearance. If you ride a road bike with caliper brakes, the fender ends up tight to the tire. Since you have a mountain bike with v-brakes you should have space between tire and fender.

Like "zpl" said, you don't really even need to put the hook under the fender and it aught to hold. The first time you put it on the rack just get up and check it through the windshield during a couple of stops to be sure.

If you're really concerned you can cut the fender off just in front of the head tube.

PhilipP
10-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Great answers, liked the YouTube video, explained it very well, and the demo they had, even included fenders on it.

scoot
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
If you're just a little nervous about the whole loading your bike with a bus full of people sitting there watching and waiting (heh... most people are the first time), there are a couple of places where you can try it out without the bus full of people. Look at the last paragraph on this page: http://trimet.org/howtoride/bikes/bikesonbuses.htm. Also available at BTA - 233 NW 5th Ave (between NW Everett & NW Davis).