PDA

View Full Version : Looking for bombproof 700c touring rims

q`Tzal
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll need to replace my old rims about the time Mavic goes out of business. Currently using 36 hole Mavic A719 rims.
I loved my old Sun Rhino Lite rims in 700c but they stopped making that size.

I'm not brand loyal until they prove they deserve it, I'm just looking for a rim that is very durable. The sort of rim that every professional bike mechanic has advised against because it's so heavy. Weight is not a consideration for me.

I'm looking for a wide 700c rim for my 700x40 Nokian 240's. My brakes are disks so I don't need the braking surface.

Conversely,
My frame is a Surly Karate Monkey and will take 29" wheels. I haven't paid much attention to them. Are all 29" rims heavy durable rims? Is an efficient road commuting tire made in 29"?

Thank you Interwebs for your help

RonC
10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
If you like Sun Rhyno Lite Rims (700C), Harris Cyclery shows them on their website. Mavic A719's are listed as Mavic's best touring rim, but twice the cost of the Sun Rims (same weight). Looks like they also like Velocity Dyad rims. I have no first-hand knowledge of any of this though, so do your research. Good luck!

roberte
10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Cannondale used DTSwiss for a long while on their touring bikes
Surly used Alex.

Both brands have been used by many riders over many types of roads.

I'd closely check rim sites for spoke, tire width and rider weight/load recommendations.

I'd wager any of the brands mentioned so far would be fine as long as you have a good builder who knows what kind of stresses you'll be likely to put the wheels through.

K'Tesh
10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd talk to Skip at the Performance Bike shop in Beaverton.

I'm a Clyde, and I have a nasty habit of breaking spokes on the rear wheels of my new bikes (at least for the last 5 bikes) within weeks of purchase.

Skip has built the last three rear wheels for me (for the last three bikes), and I have yet to have a need for the wheels to be trued (and I still have and use the three bikes).

IMHO, that's pretty much Bombproof.

specialed
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Sun M13II and Salsa Gordo are strong, inexpensive rims. With 36 spokes you should be set. It's not a bad idea to have the shop double-check the wheels after 30 days or couple hundred miles.

A719 has double eyelets which means that the rim is far less likely to crack at the spoke hole, although you don't see that happen much except on lightweight racing rims. Mavic A319 is also strong, but a little less expensive with single eyelets.

If you want super, super burly, look at 29" downhill rims -- but frankly that may be overkill. 29 inch and 700c are the same size rims.

If you're planning a long tour, also consider bringing a fiber-fix nylon replacement spoke or two (which allows you to replace a drive-side rear spoke without removing the gear cassette), and a folding tire.