PDA

View Full Version : Rain pants...

bonny790
10-14-2009, 02:56 PM
What do you like? I used to have some cheap, non-venting rain pants not designed for cycling. They worked like you'd imagine, kept the rain out and the sweat in. I tend to sweat easily so I just wear my wool knickers, wool socks, and hiking boots and get wet. Comfortable, but wet. I'm a student so I don't have to worry about office wear, but someday it'd be nice not to smell like a wet dog for the first hour or so! I have the Showers Pass jacket that gets worn maybe a dozen times a year, mostly I just wear light wool layers which works great until it really starts pissing. As good as the jacket is and as generous as the venting is, I still sweat unless it's bloody [I]cold[I]! But its supposed to be the best out there. I'm thinking about getting the Showers Pass pants, any thoughts? The hiking boots keep my feet dry except for the water that runs in from the top so that's one reason I also want pants to keep water from coming in from the top.

Thanks

bikieboy
10-15-2009, 06:36 AM
toby, the Showers Pass rainpants are nicely made, but in my experience with them if you sweat in the SP jacket you'll definitely sweat in the rainpants, even more so. It's got to be a pretty steady/heavy rain before I'm willing to don them.

for most conditions, i've started to think raincape - i've played with the cheap chinese $10 version and it's got it's merits as well as limitations (wind is a problem) - they seem to keep you pretty dry, at least as far south as the ankles. City Bikes sells what i imagine might be the uber rain cape, by Carradice - haven't tried it but maybe someone who uses it will offer an opinion? Looks to be very well designed, but not a cheap option.

I don't have the wet feet thing solved - Burley booties didn't work for me, so i just went with the change of shoes/socks at my workplace, & ride home in damp shoes. There's some pretty nice looking rain booties available these days, perhaps they work?

boneshaker
10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I use Craft Storm pants and have been pretty happy with them for the last couple years. Wish they were a bit longer (or my legs a touch shorter) cause they ride above my shoe covers sometimes and then water gets all down inside my feet/socks (which of course negates the whole reason you ride with shoe covers). Overall I'm pretty happy with them though. 32" inseam, size large btw.

specialed
10-15-2009, 02:05 PM
If you cut off cheap rain pants just below the knee they will breathe much better and still keep the majority of rain off. And they're easier to put on and won't get caught in your chain.

the Wumpus
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a rain cape for warm rain. The trick with them is the loose fabric. If the sides are loose, they'll blow up on your lap in a crosswind. If the front, between your hands, is too loose, it'll flap up with gusts and throw the water that pools there at you. You do need some looseness, so you can steer safely, but there's a happy middle ground there. Some of the rain capes have waist straps. I've never tied them around my waist, but I did tie them together to gather up some of the excess fabric around the perimeter of the rain cape! I have this great big gathered-up wrinkle running up the back of my duxback poncho, but boy does it fit better. Wind will blow rain in and get your shins and shoes wet, but not as often as you think. Spats and a poncho would be about as good as you could get in a warm rain, I think.

I've also tried the rain chaps with a rain jacket. They're great in light rain. Any cross or tailwind will get you wet, especially sitting at a red light. Any decent rain that runs off of them will eventually run down the straps and get you wet. I haven't used them since I figured out the rain cape.

I do still have the rain pants and a jacket, because it's positively luxurious to walk into work bone dry after an 8 mile commute in a pounding 35 degree rain. It's even worth the hassle of dealing with the plastic pants. But there isn't a rainproof fabric breathable enough to keep up with riding through a 60 degree rainstorm. I arrived at work this morning with damp shins from the headwind-driven rain, but still much dryer than if I'd worn rain pants.

boneshaker
10-20-2009, 05:35 AM
I use Craft Storm pants and have been pretty happy with them for the last couple years. Wish they were a bit longer (or my legs a touch shorter) cause they ride above my shoe covers sometimes and then water gets all down inside my feet/socks (which of course negates the whole reason you ride with shoe covers). Overall I'm pretty happy with them though. 32" inseam, size large btw.

I've been riding again in these pants for the last few days and need to put up a caveat. They really are for colder weather than we're having right now. My legs have been getting quite hot. I think we need to see temps down in the 40's or low 50's before these go back into the daily rotation.

Gumbyman
10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I have been using J & G breathable rain gear (Jacket, pants and helmet cover) and have nothing but praise for its looks and quality. With just a base layer it keeps me warm and dry and keeps sweat to a minimum. The icing on the cake is that it is all made here in Oregon. This company's gear gets an A+ in my book. Google them and take a look at what they have to offer.:)

bonny790
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I ended up buying the Showers Pass Club Convertible pants that convert to knickers. Time will tell...

I think my plan of attack will be to wear my usual wool knickers on dry and light rain days as usual, and wear lighter pants with rain pants on known heavy rain days. The combination of heavy wool and rain pants I think will be too much on any day. Another 5-10 years and I may find a system that works for me! :rolleyes:

zpl
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I ended up buying the Showers Pass Club Convertible pants that convert to knickers. Time will tell...

Please post a review of those in this thread once you've used them in the rain a few times. I'm curious to know how well they work and how breathable they are.

Scott

boneshaker
11-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Please post a review of those in this thread once you've used them in the rain a few times. I'm curious to know how well they work and how breathable they are.

Scott

I would be interested to know how you like them as well. Those look really nice.

bonny790
11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I got a chance to give them a try, and although it was not raining hard on my way home tonight (about 8pm), nor was it cold, I have a couple first impressions. first is that they have that all too annoying, yet surprisingly common, lack of access to the pants under the rain pants. They are not baggy when worn over other pants which is good. Less likely to snag or flap, but not tight where you can't move or threatening to tear if you bend over. The legs are long so that they completely covered the tops of my low top shoes and they sinch up nicely at the ankles to stay out of the chain. Even though it wasn't raining hard, I'm pretty confident they would do a decent job at keeping water out of the top of my shoes. Despite not being cold I didn't over heat. I'm starting to think that a lot of my sweating before was just riding too hard. I've been chilling out more lately and what do you know, sweating less! Huh, who'd a thunk it? That's sage advise when dark and raining anyway. Oddly, they have belt loops that are sewn on the top and rip open with hook and loops. :confused: beats me

I know there's no way to give a solid review after only one light use, but my first impressions are favorable.

bonny790
11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
On Saturday I helped with a bike move and wore the pants all day and was outside in the elements for most of it and as you may recall, it was rather wet! The pants were great. always comfortable, never felt like I was wearing plastic bags. The fronts of my knees got a bit wet because that's where on of the vents are at and inevitably some water worked it's way up. I wore my hiking boots and they stayed cinched on top of them keeping water out. Overall I'm very pleased. My SP jacket on the other hand made it very clear that it is ready for a re-treatment as my arms were pretty soaked. I just re-treated my boots and for some reason they didn't fair so well. In fairness, I think my feet were dry when it was just rain, but it was probably riding through all the lakes at every corner that did it!

Starkmojo
11-12-2009, 04:05 AM
If you cut off cheap rain pants just below the knee they will breathe much better and still keep the majority of rain off. And they're easier to put on and won't get caught in your chain.

Rain-pris?:D

zpl
11-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I thought I'd mention that I finally got around to picking up these pants (Showers Pass Club Convertible) this week and look forward to trying them out as the weather gets wetter.

I really, really like that the lower leg sections zip-off to convert them to knickers, and I have the feeling I will be wearing them this way 90% of the time, as it helps with ventilation.

Btw, the "belt loops" aren't really for a belt, but an accessory suspender system they sell. I may order that if I have any issues with the pants slipping down.

Scott