PDA

View Full Version : How long is your commute?

GelFreak
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
I live in Portland and currently ride 9 miles one way (18 miles per day), but I'll be moving with my family to Beaverton and will be forced to commute 15miles one way (30 miles per day). Does anyone else do similar to 30 miles a day? Is it too much to ask of myself? How far is your commute?

Thanks!

BudMan
08-07-2006, 04:52 PM
I do 3.5 miles one way once or twice a week in the Texas heat...looking to move to Portland partially because of that!

k7ty
08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
My bike commute is 15 miles each way - NPDX to Beaverton. It takes almost exactly an hour. I do it year-round although I do insert MAX (downtown to Beaverton transit center) on those days with biblical rain or when I just don't feel like riding the whole way. No need for a gym membership. It's actually a very nice commute - along the river on the Eastside Esplanade and up Terwilliger by OHSU. Bike lanes the whole way (except downtown).
-John

shhambo
08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
6 to downtown pdx. I work on Cedar Hills blvd in Beaverton. I am lucky to work along the Max line though so I ride to Goose Hollow and then Max to the Zoo. Then bike from the Zoo to work. On the way home I don't bother with the Max unless I'm really tired. It's 9 miles from work to downtown. So it's 12 miles if I only do the home to Goose Hollow and back portion of the route and 30 miles if I'm feeling crazy enough to bike up the hill from downtown to the Zoo. It's usually somewhere in between. Are you on a Max line or able to bus part of your commute by bus and work up to the full commute? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

brock
08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Mine is 14 miles each way from NE to Tigard, takes a little less than an hour. It can be a lot to ask of yourself 5 days a week, but it can be done (140 miles a week will get you strong, fast). For me, the trick is to slow myself down so I have the energy to keep going the rest of the week...

GelFreak
08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not sure about the bus line or max line yet...I'll have to look into that for the horrible weather days. Knowing that other people do it will probably give me enough of a mental boost.

chuckles
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Just to echo others, my commute is just over 15 miles each way. Downtown to Hillsboro. I ride up to the zoo and down the newer bike path along 26. It is a great ride, end up both at work and home with a smile on my face. Did this all winter, doesn't really rain that much. Takes about an hour each way.

bootpdx
08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I bike from the Pearl to Palatine Hill (Lewis & Clark College) about 8 miles 4 days a week. I usually take the west side riverfront trail to the Riverview Cemetery and proceed up the hill to Lewis & Clark. I have recently started taking Terwilliger on the way home because it is such a nice ride, plus it is mostly downhill. I was taking Barbur, but got sick of the exhaust that I was inhaling.

Nighabi
08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Mine is 21 each way, SE to Wilsonville. Because of the length I only do it 2 to 3 times a week. My wife and child would never see me if I did it anymore. I have been doing it for 4 years and just recently started to see others riding to work down here. I know others who ride PDX to Beaverton 4 days a week and say it is an enjoyable ride.

Matt P.
08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Mine is 11 miles each way, from Oak Grove (south of Milwaukie) to downtown Portland. It takes about 50 minutes in the morning and an hour back in the evening. I live at 360' elevation, so there is a 300' climb over the last 2 miles of my ride from Milwaukie up the Oatfield hill. Typically I ride to and from work 3-5 days a week, and Tri-Met the other days.

Oddly enough, I started with a 4 mile commute and keep moving farther out from downtown. I've concluded that by the time I retire I should be riding centuries to and from work. ;-)

Also, I agree with brock - I need to slow myself down or the hill climbs home later in the week get pretty tough.

Climber
08-16-2006, 05:42 PM
I work at home so my commute is up a flight of stairs, but I try to get in at least 20 miles in the early morning 3 or 4 times a week. SE Portland to Marine Drive to Broughton Beach and back, or the 205-Springwater-Esplanade-Mt. Tabor loop.

I'd love to do another "commute" in the evening, but I'm pushing 60 so that's enough for me. Gotta save these old legs for the weekend rides. :)

schultzbike
09-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I've been doing Mt. Tabor to Durham (S. Tigard) for a little over a year now. It's 15 to 17.5 miles each way, depending on the route du jour. Sometimes I take Barbur all the way if I'm running late, but more often Barbur to Mult. Blvd and down Hall. I usually take Mult Blvd to Terwilliger on the way home. Like brock mentioned, I have to be careful not to hammer it every day or I'm toasted by Friday. It's good built-in training, for sure. My wife does the bike-MAX combo to Hillsboro, and we get to ride the mornings together to downtown. Occasionally, but rarely, we'll bump into eachother on the way home. It's a nice setup. Gets the day going right, and cleanses any remaining work thoughts on the way home.

Haven_kd7yct
09-01-2006, 01:41 PM
My commute is about 4.5 to 6 miles, depending on the way I go, each way. Getting to work from Tigard to Durham, I can go mostly downhill at the start from 121st to Hall, and then slog it the rest of the way. It's usually not too bad, traffic-wise, but I've learned in the AM to stay away from Omara St, I've almost been run over by old people there a few times in the morning. :) Not in the afternoon, though.

Question: I'm trying to get my brother to ride to work as part of the bike commute challenge, but am having trouble finding safe routes from his place in the Willamette area of West Linn to our office in Durham. Any suggestions??

GelFreak
09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
put a post up in the route suggestion forum...hopefully someone can offer advise there, cause I doubt someone will see that and be able to help you in this thread.

Haven_kd7yct
09-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks, I will do that! :)

monkey
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I ride 5 1/2 miles one way to work (N portland to NE portland), all residential.. it's very nice

Rivervelo
09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Mine is 4 miles it takes about 20 mins. From Lauralhurst Park to NW Portland.

jds,md
09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I ride from 29th & Upshur to NE Hillsboro, comes out to roughly 16 miles. I usually ride 3 days a week and work from home the other 2. Takes an hour each way give or take 5 minutes.

So far I take 3 different routes out: 1) through the park to the zoo, along 26, park, walker, 185th, evergreen 2) start in park but go through neighborhood (to go by the arboretum), then down to the zoo and same as #1 and finally 3) 25th to westover, cornell, thompson, becomes west union, through neighborhoods to rock creek park, evergreen.

I usually take 1 way back : evergreen, walker, park, 26, zoo, down through neighborhood by arboretum, down vista, behind zupan's, 24th, and home. I might go looking for an alternative since I got hit on Walker on Wednesday (no harm done, amazingly), but overall I get some serious variety.

The more suburban the route, the worse in my opinion. I prefer to take a lane than be stuck in a bike lane on a superspeedway, er, road. Cheers!

DJoos
09-02-2006, 06:29 AM
I commute from Beaverton to NE Portland (15 miles one way), it takes 50 to 60 min. The ride back requires more climbing, but that becomes easier with time. The distance is a great way to start your day. It would be a plus if your work had a shower (mine does)

PersonOfInterest
09-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Mt Park to around PSU, mostly all on Barbur. About 8 miles I think and downhill all the way there.

griffin
09-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I am a PSU student, and durring the school year my commut is about 10 miles one way, or 20 miles round trip. I live near Mt Tabor, so it's basically all down hill heading in, and ALL up hill coming home

SEA_poseur_n_PDX
09-05-2006, 06:33 AM
I used to live in west-Seattle and commute to downtown Bellevue (16.5 miles each way) year around. I'd like to say that I did it every day of the week, but, as someone pointed out earlier, I'd never have seen my wife and kids again if I did it every day.

so here a thing I did to make that commute faster and more enjoyable:

monday morning I'd bus or drive into work with my bike in tow and a large messenger-bag filled with the weeks worth of clothes - which facilitated riding the whole week without a pack. let me tell you, this makes that distance a ride So much more enjoyable. for me, it felt more like I was out for a ride more than I was commuting. sometime near the end of the week I'd drag the bag back home and do the same thing next week. bringing the bag in forced me to make at least two, one-way bus/car trips a week. and sometimes that bus/car trip is a welcome respite against burnout or lousy weather. I know a lot of people who don't mind dragging panniers and/or packs around on their commute, but when you start measuring your times to and from home, with and without a pack, you'll see the difference. (I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree with this, that's just my experience)

and talk about not needing a gym membership! I ride my single-speed 6-miles round trip to work now, which feels like nothing... but 33 miles a day? I've never been in that kind of shape since!

GelFreak
09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
So first day of Beaverton - Portland.

I took SW Scholls Ferry to Patton to SW Vista across burnside down into the Industrial District. Took about an hour and man I never knew how fast I'd come down off of Vista!!! Holy cow was I screaming down! .... lets not talk about the way back up today :eek: but I made it and only took an extra 5-10mins getting home. So not so bad after all...

pak ratt
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
18 miles each way--from Meridian, ID to Micron in Boise-- I hear PDX has better routes-

Sarah
09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
I love my six mile commute from NE 15th & Dekum to City of Portland.

While so many of my colleagues have hour-long commutes, I am 30 minutes each way and getting exercise to boot.

I confess I felt smug reading that article...

genag
09-14-2006, 08:42 PM
my ride is 18 miles round trip. st. johns to laurelhurst area. its a good mix of hills, both ways. and i'm just a little girl on a $50, thrift store schwinn. no big deal!

editrixpdx
09-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I feel like such a slug! My 'commute' is downstairs from the bedroom to the office = ~20 yards?

But I see many commuting cyclists from my office window as I work, and I am [silently] cheering you on! (anybody ride on Mason past Wellington Park?)

tvhwy
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
My bike commute is 15 miles each way - NPDX to Beaverton. It takes almost exactly an hour.

John,

I'm currently doing that trip by bus-MAX-bus, and it usually takes me an-hour-ten!

steamboat
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
My commute is about 45-55 minutes total, but I pick up MAX on the other side of town (beyond the slow inner-city MAX stops) at Goose Hollow and am lucky to work just a few minutes from the Beaverton Transit Station. The bike portion is maybe 15/16 miles round trip?? Whatever it is from around Mt. Tabor to Goose Hollow and back basically. But I'm also lucky that my employer pays for the transit pass.
It seems daunting to think of commuting it all by bike with the hill factor and/or less direct travel. I'm a steadfast enough rider but I'm guessing the the commute would be more like 1 and quarter hours at best??

dhormann
09-16-2006, 08:55 PM
My commute is about seven miles each way, from Hillsboro near Glencoe HS to Aloha. I ride nearly everyday unless work demands I drive to a remote meeting, etc. I incorporate my workouts in my ride home, so that usually goes longer than the seven mile direct route. One of my favorites is to ride from Aloha out to Forest Grove and back via North Plains for about a 30 mile loop.