PDA

View Full Version : 205 Bike Path

Oldguyonabike
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I called Tri-Met today because I am anxiously waiting for the 205 path south of Flavel to re-open, but judging from the amount of work still needed I couldn't imagine them finishing it by the 9/12/09 christening of the Green Line. I was right. The cust svc rep researched it and apologetically advised that there is no exact projected completion date other than "probably the end of September". They received some stimulus $$ that is being used to install lighting and delay completion.
Once again it feels like we get the dregs. They've had the Max line done for months. They even have the shrubbery. I can live with 92nd a little longer. I really don't want to do another winter on it, though.
Anyone out there know the inside scoop? Are they at least going to open sections as they complete them? Which ones? When?

bikieboy
09-02-2009, 02:11 PM
From the Tri-Met website:

August 13, 2009

The ODOT I-205 multi-use path is open north of SE Harold. South of Harold to SE Sunnyside Road, the multi-use path remains closed while crews install new lighting and paving, a project recently funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Path users can expect path access, with isolated restrictions, starting in mid-September while installation is completed. Further path finishing activity may require flaggers and lane restrictions through October.

Oldguyonabike
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
They are paving between Johnson Creek and Clack Town Center today.
If they'd just let us on that stretch life would be good

Oldguyonabike
09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
From update:
The ODOT I-205 multi-use path is open north of SE Harold Street. The path will open between SE Harold Street and the Springwater Corridor Trail September 12, although minor lighting and landscaping activity may require intermittent, temporary path restrictions in this section through November.

South of the Springwater Corridor to SE Sunnyside Road, the multi-use path remains closed until mid-November while crews continue installation of new lighting and paving, a project recently funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. After this section opens, minor lighting and landscaping activity may require intermittent, temporary path restrictions through November.

I guess I have to slog up that hill through november ....
Why should minor lighting and landscaping keep us off the tarmac?

Haven_kd7yct
09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Oldguy, minor lighting and landscaping keeps us off the tarmac because that's where the electricians and landscapers are parking their rigs.

Or, there's plants and dirt and electrical wire and tools all over the tarmac, and people all over the place trying to get work done, and ODOT thought it would be easier, safer, and the work would get done faster if everyone didn't have to dodge everyone else in that area.

Thorlak
09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
From the Tri-Met website:

August 13, 2009

The ODOT I-205 multi-use path is open north of SE Harold. South of Harold to SE Sunnyside Road, the multi-use path remains closed while crews install new lighting and paving, a project recently funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

So I am to believe if not for the recovery money TriMet had no intention to finish the project because they didn't allot enough of their own money to replace the bike infrastructure that was already there? I find this incredible and wonder why there isn't a stink being made about this.

zpl
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
So I am to believe if not for the recovery money TriMet had no intention to finish the project because they didn't allot enough of their own money to replace the bike infrastructure that was already there? I find this incredible and wonder why there isn't a stink being made about this.

A lot of states are using the stimulus money to save projects that would have otherwise been cut due to the budget shortfalls they've experienced. The money may have been in a long-term budget drafted years ago but the economic realities changed the source of the funding when stimulus money became available.

I'm not saying I know for certain what their plan was, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that they never intended to do this work from the start either.

Scott

Thorlak
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not saying I know for certain what their plan was, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that they never intended to do this work from the start either.

Scott

Well, my comment is on the side of hyperbolic, but what I see is that Trimet was perfectly happy to make sure their rail was complete with funding while letting the bike path just kind of sit on the wire untill some funding came through with some kind of special effort. I believe they didn't intend to *not* finish the bike path but it does seem they intend for it to be "first out last in". I mean really, what would the completion projections look like if not for the recovery funding which is something they didn't foresee when starting the project?

Oldguyonabike
09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I have to give Trimet the benefit of the doubt. I've been watching them maintain what was the former trail and prepare the future trail. They even had a public ride the day before they closed it that promoted how much better it will be. The tarmac they've laid down so far is nice and smooth. My understanding is that they had not planned to install lights. Now that they have money for lights the installation of those has delayed the overall completion. I don't believe there was any risk of not getting the path back with improvements to the surface.
I'm just inpatient for construction to be completed before the winter rains.

Oldguyonabike
09-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Sooooo nice riding smooth surfaces without glass or cars all the way south to Springwater this morning! Very sweet. Very nice not to have to navigate crossing Foster anymore.
There was a Metro bike rep at the Foster Rd path access pt on Saturday who says the full length is projected to open toward the end of October. The hold up is placing some culverts in the stretch from Spring water to Johnson Creek and light installation the rest of the way to Clackamas Town Center. Paving's all done except for the short stretch around Flavel.
There's hope!

Bent Bloke
09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I tried it out this weekend, too. I made a wrong turn at Foster, took the ramp down to street level instead of going up to where the MAX stop is. It wasn't apparent that you needed to go up to cross. There is no street level crossing, you have to go West on Foster to 92nd, then take 92nd South. I'll know better next time, but maybe a sign would help?

On the plus side, there was a mini street fair where the ramp down hit street-level, with music, and a Bull Run Water setup. I was low on water, so filled up there.

MrWolf
09-17-2009, 01:12 AM
i have been taking the new green line max, and i have noticed most of the route there will be no interferance from max passengers crossing the path except i noticed fuller road station the path is inbetween max and parking lot. but clackamas station, the path goes under the walk way to the max. it will be nice to ride the new path when it opens up.

DaveT
09-29-2009, 11:40 AM

My understanding is that Tri-Met received additional funding to add lighting (this was not in the original path plan for the light rail project) through the stimulus. This have extended the path closure while they install the lighting. Tri-Met may also have been behind schedule on some of the path work not involving lighting, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they ever thought about not finishing it. Hence the lack of stink.

jgadamski
10-02-2009, 06:56 AM
I spoke with an ODOT worker last week when I was out there,he said the completion goal is mid-October,but his assessment was probably November. While inconvenient, the project is being worked on and will be great to couple bikes with the new green line.

Oldguyonabike
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
As of this morning, the lights are installed and working all the way south to Johnson Creek. they may be up and working beyond that but can't tell as path is hidden from road beyond there. Its surfaced all the way to Clack Town Center. If it weren't for the fences at Johnson Creek and Clack Town Center it would be clear sailing. There are fences at Springwater & Flavel but they aren't very sincere. Down more often than up. I can't imagine they have enough work to go into November. Misplaced priorities maybe.

Oldguyonabike
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Lights are on the full length now and the fences are down but they still have wooden barricades up at Clack Town Center and Johnson Creek. But with the fencing down its just a matter of going around the barricade. Suspect official opening coming very soon

Oldguyonabike
10-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Called over to Metro and they just got e-mail that there's a group ride on 11/7 to celebrate the opening of the full stretch of the 205 bike path.
Sure be nice if they'd just take the barricades down now since its all paved and lit, but at least there seems to be an end in sight.

bobcycle
10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I stopped riding 205 bike path several years back due to numerous unsafe (i.e. extremely dangerous) intersections where cars refuse to yield and tend to look left and go right without adequately checking for pedestrian or bike crossings. So I was interested in changes being made. I may still give it a try but looking at the comments in response to article J. Maus started on 205 the other day I think many agree it is still unsafe. Just my opinion but seems like a lot of money being spent for such poor results. Money could be better spent improving the NE 72nd and SE 76th North South route or perhaps a more easterly No/So route. Traffic around 205 arterials seems to retain to much of the auto-aggression required to survive on hi-speed interstate routes and thus make that particular bike path inherently dangerous.

bobcycle
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
OK rode north today on 205 path from springwater to prescott. New bridge over Foster is awsome, old bridge over powell is also good. At Division you get a flashing yellow "warning" light if you press cross button. At division there is a gravel path that that starts to go down under division but it never quite makes it through. Stark and Glisan crossings are as dangerous as ever. Glisan crossing should be avoided. Today when I crossed Glisan on green the first car was so busy looking left while turning right that he would have hit me if I did not abruptly stop. This intersection should be closed by PBOT for safety reasons. The incident that occurred to me today is no different than what I experienced many years ago at the same place. My guess is that this type of incident will occur 50% of the time. Bottom line 205 bike path from Springwater to Market is pretty good, avoid the rest!

Oldguyonabike
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Division, Stark and Glisan are all sketchy. Don't like Holgate much either. Riding over Powell and Foster is truly sweet. But for someone like me who commutes from Mt Tabor to Clackamas Town Center area every day the stretch from Johnson Creek south is what I'm salivating for. No street crossings at all. I've been riding 92nd for two years now. Even got to like it in a way. Good bike lane. I've shaved 10" off my ride, though, with just the 205 route section that's open. No lights to wait at. So, I've rationalized that patience at some of the sketchy crossings is better than stopping at all the lights along 92nd. And I HATE the 92nd hill south of Johnson Creek. Not in the mood in the morning and treacherous in the dark rain coming home.

Oldguyonabike
11-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Thank you to Ti-met, BTA, ODOT and everyone else who worked to reopen the 205 path to Clackamas. The rain-bow following howling wind and thick rain at the christening was a great omen.
It was soooo nice to not climb the 92nd st hill this morning.
It's been a long two years. Now back to the old routines.

Jeff Wills
11-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Thank you to Ti-met, BTA, ODOT and everyone else who worked to reopen the 205 path to Clackamas. The rain-bow following howling wind and thick rain at the christening was a great omen.
It was soooo nice to not climb the 92nd st hill this morning.
It's been a long two years. Now back to the old routines.

Hmmm... I'm going to have to head down the I-205 path to look it over. I'm going to lead a ride on the 21st, starting at Gateway, and this will be the first time we've been able to ride it south of Division in 2 years. The area around Foster sounds like it ought to be fun!

I agree with earlier comments about the dangerous intersections. In the ten years I've been leading rides down the path we haven't had an incident, but I also caution people to be very wary of inattentive drivers. It helps that we're a wild-looking bunch, though: http://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/rites2004/pages/rites04panorama.htm .

The Glisan intersection can be avoided by getting off the path at either Gateway or Burnside, going one block east to 99th, and continuing. This works pretty well, although you end up riding the Burnside sidewalk if you're heading south.

FWIW, another VBC member and I worked on cleaning up the Vancouver end on Saturday. We managed this between rain showers: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohpv/sets/72157622641191877/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4088805658_fc2f2937e5.jpg

rolinon
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Rode the Division Street Underpass on the 205 bike path yesterday afternoon.

I saw the workers loading up the temporary fencing as I rode south then on my way back north I rode under Division and a worker told me it was open for bike travel. I just hope it doesn't fill up with people looking for a place to hang out and smoke cigarettes.