PDA

View Full Version : bike repair

igerould
08-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello, I have a mid 80's Panasonice road bike, forget the model, that needs repair, probably some new parts here and there. Really nice bike. I've been looking online at prices from the few bike shop websites that i've seen, but it kind of got me a little confused, with what, I don't know. Thought i'd post something on here asking anyone of you where the best place to go would be, in terms of quality and price. I'm talking about base price though, of course I wouldnt know the exact price without someone looking at it first. Any info at all would be helpful, sorry if this post is a little confusing to read

wsbob
08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm betting the response you're going to get is, in order, depending upon whether you want to have someone else fix it, or you think you can fix it yourself with someone standing by to give you some help:

A full service shop such as the Bike Gallery. Kind of guessing on price, but I'll say tuneups range between $50-$150..parts extra. Bike Gallery Beaverton has the tune-up rates on a huge sign over the repair counter...I just can't remember exactly what they are from memory.

A co-op repair shop such as the Community Cycling Center (Alberta St) or Franz Pauls Community Cycling Center (Westside). It's going to be less at these types of places, but I couldn't say how much.

I'd take the bike into the shops for a free estimate. You'll gain a lot of insight into the bikes condition and needs just by doing that. I've only been to the BG, but I've heard other people speak favorably about the other places listed above.

scholzj
08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I am a tech at clever cycles and I would encourage you to stop by and we or any of the other shops around will very happily go over what should be done and how much it will cost. I would go to the shop that is the closest to the area that you frequent the most, that way if you break down you will be close and you can start to build a relationship with the shop and hopefully if you have problems down the road the techs will already know you and your bike, which makes the whole process easier.