PDA

View Full Version : Multnomah Village Commute

gibbyplease
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
What's a good commuting route to downtown and back from Multnomah Village? I just moved to the SW from the SE and I find that I don't much care for the Southbound stretch of Barbur Blvd.

adventure
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't think there's really any other "good" option other than taking Terwilliger to Capitol Highway. Terwilliger has a steeper climb getting out of downtown, but is a more peaceful road. Capitol Highway has a bike lane until you hit Multnomah Village.

bikieboy
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
gibby, the bike map for SW Portland may be of some help in selecting a route:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34809&a=70221#nhood.maps

Axel
08-23-2009, 06:28 PM
gibby, what exactly about Barbur Blvd. is the issue? I use Barbur nearly every time I ride and I've never had a problem. It really is the fastest way to get from the Village to downtown.
________
Yamaha FJR1300 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_FJR1300)

gibbyplease
08-25-2009, 08:02 AM
I suppose it's just a little unnerving riding next to Barbur traffic. I'll admit that I was spoiled by my breeze of a commute from SE, but there must be a way to break up that Southbound trip. Being on Barbur for the entire length can't be the best route.

Chain of Fool
08-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Gibby,
I know what you mean. We SW'ers are not afraid of hills, it's that last stretch between Freds and Safeway that makes you feel like you're in LA. You have to ride along that noisy concrete wall, then the bike lane ends and squeezes you into the traffic. Makes Beaverton look good. The two bridges on barbur can be awkward too.
I assume you're not complaining about the long breezy down hill into town, 'cept the 2 bridges maybe.
alt 1) Cross Barbur in front of Freds and use Old Multnomah Road disguised as a frontage road. All the uphill is in the last 200 feet. You come out at Capital Hill Rd across from Safeway.
alt 2) Terrwilliger Parkway, nothin better. When you get to The Chart House go up the little winding Westwood Drive to get to Hillsdale. It might be crazy to choose more up at this point, but I think it's less elevation gain than down to Capital Hwy then up to Hillsdale.