PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Commuting Bags

bikerinNE
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Does anyone commute with their computer? If so, what bag do you choose to use? Panniers vs shoulder bags? What are the best options for commuting with a laptop? Thanks.

canuck
08-21-2009, 07:37 AM
I've used both.

With panniers you can get a padded cover specifically for laptops. You really need this since there is no protective padding in most panniers.

Same goes for a shoulder bag. Make sure it has a padded pocket for the laptop.

After you've got the laptop taken care of the selection comes down to personal choice and convenience.

With a shoulder bag you rarely forget to take it with you when you get to your destination.

With panniers you get the ability to take more stuff with your.

Some people don't like riding with a shoulder bad, preferring to carry the extra weight on the bike rather than the body.

Bent Bloke
08-21-2009, 08:23 AM
I've used panniers to ferry my laptop back and forth to work on occasion. If you have a laptop briefcase small enough to fit in your pannier, you should have the padding problem solved.

Make sure your bag is waterproof, not just water-repellent. The "dry bag" style, like Orlieb's line, are what I would recommend. I've used panniers that had a rain-fly, but they are not fully waterproof (and a hassle to deal with), so I always put the laptop in a plastic bag before putting it in the briefcase.

lynnef
08-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I prefer to carry my laptop in a pannier. I put it in a protective sleeve and then into the venerable Jandd briefcase pannier.

I have used a messenger bag when I was overseas on a business trip (with bike. Oh SO cool.), and it was way, way too heavy.

I found that when the outside pocket of the pannier carries the cardkey necessary to get into the building, as well as the keys to the lock for the bike locker, that I never, ever forgot to take it off the bike and into the building :)

bikerinNE
08-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I prefer to carry my laptop in a pannier. I put it in a protective sleeve and then into the venerable Jandd briefcase pannier. :)

I looked at the Jandd briefcase pannier. That thing is awesome.

Philosophography
08-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I have the Ortlieb office pannier and it is fantastic. It has the Ortlieb roll-top but the shape and interior is that of a briefcase. It holds all your files and notebooks, office supplies as well as the computer and all that weight is off of your back so you can ride in comfort. It is definately worth the price.