PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors... Any Suggestions?

K'Tesh
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I've used them before, but they seem to always get knocked out of place and/or broken when on my helmet or handlebars (and my dashboard is overflowing). I'm loathe to put one on my glasses.

So, what do you recommend?

Mahalo
K'Tesh

Bent Bloke
08-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I've got Mirrycles on both my bikes. They mount to the end of your handlebars, so they do get knocked out of alignment frequently, but are easy to adjust.

Bike Gallery carries them, or you can get them from REI: http://www.rei.com/product/723518

I think Coventry Cycle Works has them, too.

biciclero
08-05-2009, 03:05 PM
If helmet, handlebars, and glasses are out for places to mount a mirror, what's left?

Why the aversion to glasses-mounting? I love my Take-a-Look (http://www.rei.com/product/752285), but it is mounted on my glasses--although it easily comes right off when I want it to. The only requirement is that the frames have a temple that is flat (has a rectangular cross-section rather than circular).

zpl
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I consider my Take-A-Look eyeglass mounted mirror to be a more important safety accessory than my helmet when riding in traffic. It keeps its position well but is easy to realign if I need to remove it from my sunglasses for whatever reason. My sunglasses (cheap Nashbar ones) have interchangeable lenses so I can swap in clear ones for night riding.

Scott

wyeast
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
It depends totally on your preferences. My helmet has a mounted mirror, but I actually dislike it a little, as it's a little too close and a little too small, making it hard to focus on what's behind me and keep an eye on the road ahead. I do like that I don't have to look down, however.

I know quite a few folks who swear by Take-A-Look mirrors. I don't have any experience with them myself, however.

the Wumpus
08-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Add another vote for the take-a-look mirror! The one with the wire frame. It'd take a tornado to knock mine out of alignment!

I've seen them helmet-mounted. It might take a couple zip ties, but it's been done. At least if it gets knocked around, it'll only bend instead of breaking! They're also adjustable as to how tight they fit on your glasses if that's what you're worried about; just bend a little space in or out of the 3 tabs. Keep in mind there are two sizes, a short and a long version.

OnTheRoad
08-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I consider my Take-A-Look eyeglass mounted mirror to be a more important safety accessory than my helmet when riding in traffic. ...

Totally agree.

If adjusted just so, I only have to shift my eyes to the left to catch a peek. Never have to swivel my head more than a couple degrees to scan behind.

Since I have an inner-ear balance malady, turning my head to the rear and then quickly back makes me unstable. A mirror is a must.

lynnef
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I've got a Take-a-Look attached to my helmet visor. Works great!

Haven_kd7yct
08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I also have a mirror attached to my helmet. I have the Cycle Aware brand with the flexible arm that attaches to your helmet with double-side tape. The tape seems to fail on me regularly, so I've got a velcro strap around it to keep it on my helmet. Hasn't fallen off yet, and I haven't had a problem with adjustment or use.

My partner has the take-a-look mirror that he hooks onto his visor. He regularly knocks his off, generally when he's changing a flat or otherwise not actually riding. Personally, I don't like that kind of mirror, that's why I didn't buy it in the first place, because I was concerned about it coming off.

I love my mirror, though; I like knowing what's coming up behind me.

scdurs
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Handlebar mirrors vibrate while riding, they also get knocked out of adjustment all the time and are prone to breakage. Avoid the plastic helmet or eyeglasses mirrors because the ball & socket will eventually wear out and the wind will blow them out of adjustment. Mine lasted just over one year. Next one I had broke.

There is nothing better than a take-a-look mirror, IMHO. I've had the same one for about 10 years and it's still perfect. Helmet and eyeglass mounted mirrors are superior because they allow you a panoramic view behind just by turning your head a few degrees each direction. Would not ride without one!

Why do you dislike eyewear mounted mirrors? If it makes you feel funny at first, give it another try. They do take a couple of rides to get used to them, then you'll be hooked.

Steve

K'Tesh
08-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Seems like there's a general love for the "Take A Look" mirrors.

My eyeglasses are thin wire rimmed and I'm still worried about fit problems, and I've been a riding fool lately (105+ miles) this week (6pm Monday - 6pm Friday) and haven't been able to get into a shop to check 'em out.

Thanks for all the help folks!
K'Tesh

zpl
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
I think REI has them if you're looking for a local source.

rolinon
08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
At the risk of looking like a cyborg, I use a large mirror made by Efficient Velo. It mounts to the helmet with zip ties and is fully adjustable with a 2.25 inch diameter mirror. You can find them at Bike Gallery ~ a bit spendy as far as mirrors go but I really like the larger size for a good view of the rear. It's also quite durable ~ survived two hard crashes where I had to replace my helmet. Check it out at http://www.efficientvelo.com. I haven't tried any of the other brands so I can't say if this one is better or worse, but for my mostly commute riding it works great!

biciclero
08-08-2009, 10:28 AM
My eyeglasses are thin wire rimmed...

This could be a problem for mounting the Take-A-Look to the glasses. I usually ride with either my sunglasses, which have a pretty substantial nylon temple, or my "old" (way nerdy) glasses that have a flat plastic temple. My "real" glasses sound similar to yours; they have a thin, round temple that would not support the type of mounting the Take-A-Look uses.

Take-A-Look claims that they also attach to helmet visors, although I have not had success with that on my helmet.

Completely agree that helmet/glasses-mounted mirrors are superior to handlebar-mounted. Just think about your lights--which is more useful, Handlebar or helmet-mounted?

lynnef
08-08-2009, 09:46 PM
My Take-a-Look attaches just fine to my helmet brim. It has lots of adjustable joints. It also includes a mounting adhesive thingie to attach it in a semiperanemt style, but I passed on that.

As for finding one, there's at least one bike shop less than a mile from where K'Tesh lives, that carries them :)

Philosophography
08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I have to say I have bought many mirrors and they have all been broken or lost within a short time. Granted, that could just be me, but it's been a lot of money down the drain. I also have concluded that they are actually not safe because they tempt you to do things based on what you see in the little mirror, things like change lanes or cross over. That's bad. Why don't you just look behind you?

vincentpaul
08-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I have to say I have bought many mirrors and they have all been broken or lost within a short time. Granted, that could just be me, but it's been a lot of money down the drain. I also have concluded that they are actually not safe because they tempt you to do things based on what you see in the little mirror, things like change lanes or cross over. That's bad. Why don't you just look behind you?

I think most riders who have a drivers license make the assumption that mirrors for cyclists, like mirrors for cars, don't obviate the need to look. Mirrors provide complementary situational awareness both before and after you take the look. Just like car mirrors.

Philosophography
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
That's what I'm talking about. They don't obviate the need to look. If you don't have a mirror, you'll look. Perhaps one day, when I get a driver's license, I'll understand better.

DaveT
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
It does take some time to get used to using a mirror; I think a lot of people don't make it past the learning stage. I've been using a Take-a-look for years and I can assess the entire space behind and to the side easily. It also can't be beat when you suddenly see an obstacle that is going to make you move left; you can continue to look forward while sneaking a quick peek in the mirror to see if you can move over safely.

I do look around when I am going to move left and there is a car around, just so they see me looking.

biciclero
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Perhaps one day, when I get a driver's license, I'll understand better.

I think I find that driving a car makes me a safer rider, because I understand drivers' intentions and weaknesses, plus a lot of the advice given in driver's Ed applies to operating a non-motorized vehicle as well. Also, driving has given me lots of practice using mirrors, and knowing how far to trust them. Agreed that use of a mirror comes with the caution that before you move, you'd better look-look, not just look in the mirror. The thing that I have found with my mirror is that I now only need to turn my head to look if I am planning a lateral move; I do far less 'paranoid' head-turning "just to see what's going on back there". With my mirror I can see whether the car coming up on my left has a turn signal on, or whether the truck I am hearing is pulling a trailer, and whether the trailer has brush or ladders sticking out to the side, etc. without having to turn my head. Just adds a lot of extra, useful information much more easily than constant head-turning.

OnTheRoad
09-04-2009, 08:08 AM
... I've been using a Take-a-look for years and I can assess the entire space behind and to the side easily....

It is an essential (but not the only) tool for keeping aware of what's coming up behind you. A quick glance adds a lot of info without taking your eyes off the road ahead.

When I'm out walking particularly in a busy place like a street fair, busy downtown sidewalk or along the Esplanade I catch myself glancing where the mirror should be to see what's behind me!

Haven_kd7yct
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
OnThe Road, I'm glad I'm not the only person who does that! :)

Philosophography
09-05-2009, 05:32 AM
OK, OK, I'll try one again.

lynnef
09-05-2009, 03:24 PM
+1 :)

fodder for the character counter

bubbaPDX
10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Something to be said, too, for uncoupling one's head from the sacred iPod. It's remarkable what you can see with your ears. :D

http://jaffejuice.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/sheep.jpg

bubbaPDX
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Okay, I got a Mirrycle mirror today. Inexpensive, and way more solid than the wongly Blackburn mirror I used before.