PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Portland

BudMan
08-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I am looking at moving to the Portland area in the near term. What can you tell me about employment in the area for a person in my situation who wants to work and live close enough to all the green transportation opportunities in Portland? I work for a school district in the HR department and would like to continue in that line of work. I have also been a social studies teacher, assistant principal and principal.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone on Portland employment and any other interesting aspects of life there. Thanks for your help!

GelFreak
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I moved from MI, coming up on a year ago now. Depending on what type of living arangements your looking for is fairly easy to live and work in portland. The public transportation is one of the best I've seen. Public bus system, public trolly system, and one of the best bike friendly towns in the USA. As for employement in the school district, much like most large cities in the USA, they are struggling and have recently closed a couple schools. As for the overall econ. I'd say its pretty good. I didn't have too much trouble finding a job.

Rixtir
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
It took me a year to find my first job after moving here. Of course, i moved here when the economy tanked, but as far as I can tell, the economy never really rebounded. It's still hard to find work here. If you can line up work before you move, do it. I've heard the same thing from many other peopl4e-- it takes patience and time to find that first job.

BudMan
08-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Absolutely would have to line up a job prior to moving out....wife and 2 kids to feed...thanks for advice...