PDA

View Full Version : Walking funny after going clipless...

K'Tesh
07-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I shell out a lot of money for SIDI bike shoes, and now I walk funny...

I left my street shoes at home this weekend. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

DOH!
K'Tesh

q`Tzal
07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, the walking will be funny.
I've got Sidi Dominators. Combined with the fact that I need size 48 wides, they were the ones that looked least like clown shoes. Also they have some tread.
That hard plastic sole is killer on hard smooth floors. As in, grocery store floors. As soon as they get wet my shoes lack any traction.

Makes me long for the days of my old Shimano sandals.

RonC
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Makes me long for the days of my old Shimano sandals.

Why aren't you riding with your sandals any more? Inquiring minds want to know! (I hear some people even ride sandals in the winter with the proper gortex socks.)

q`Tzal
07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Apparently, I'm one of those crazy “The Strong and the Fearless” cyclists. I ride no matter what the weather. Portland is great compared to Nebraska.
My options for bike shoes is limited. I wear size 13 wide. While in the icy midwest all I could find was Shimano sandals. Combined with thick wool socks and a final layer of Seal Skinz (http://www.sealskinz.com/) socks to stay dry. For some reason they block slush and snow better than just plain water. I'll slow down for a massive puddle (road lake) but the continuously wet road surface here blasted straight through even new Seal Skinz socks, which I verified with all due scientific rigor.

And a pressure washer for the Savage and Hyneman angle.
Keeping my feet dry and warm is very important to me.

So when I got here I found that I needed a more durable way to keep my feet dry. No waterproof bootie or shoe cover will fit over Shimano sandals in my size; they put down a tread the size of a fireman's boot.

So I bought the least ostentatious model of the only brand of cycling shoe I could find that fits. A pair of Carradice spats (http://www.carradice.co.uk/rainwear/pro-route-rainwear.shtml) completes my geek ensemble.

Yes, the sandals felt more cool during the summers, which are more mild here than in Nebraska. The rubber soles had a much more safe coefficient of friction than the sole/lugs of a "normal" cycling shoe. That same rubber sole wore off very quickly such that any metal cleats made constant and noisy contact with every surface wearing them out much more quickly.

Besides, the Sidi's feel much better after 4+ hours riding.

wsbob
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
In cleat shoes, you're not really walking funny until you're forced (for some reason..forgot the cleat covers..don't have them) to walk in those intended for road use only. For their walkable tread, I'm loving the mountain shoes I got...but I worry some that if I'm not careful to walk on surfaces that won't wear it down, the cleat will make contact with the ground. When/if that happens, maybe I'll try the Look pedals with the red cleat and the cleat covers. Shame though, that the mountain shoes wont take the Look cleats. There's always something.

For the airflow they offer, the sandals are appealing. I'm glad they work for people, but stylistically, they don't ring any bells for me.