PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Job?

Splinters75
07-17-2009, 08:36 AM
My wife has a very nice Lance-edition USPS Trek purchased a few years ago at the Bike Gallery sale. She rarely rides it because, frankly, even though she is a strong rider she feels a bit the poser on it.

I really want to get it painted for her, but, so far, my inquiries to the couple of painters in town have gone un-answered (perhaps because it is only one bike.)

I don't have the time or patience for a DIY job on it - what with all the careful sanding and multiple coats, and as it is such an expensive bike, I don't want to experiment on it myself.

Any ideas as to where I can take it for a good paint job?

Thank you!

zpl
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Just an alternate idea...given the Lance-mania going on right now with the TdF happening, I bet you could get a good price very quickly if you put it up for sale on Craigslist. Then use the proceeds to get your wife a new bike that she likes more.

Scott

wsbob
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I've seen those Lance-edition USPS Trek bikes around. I'd agree, they are, shall we say...bold. The red-white-blue scheme isn't bad, but seems like ol' Lance's name and the USPS is featured on it prominently somewhere. Sometimes it's possible to simply take colored plastic tape (like electricians tape) and cover over annoying logos. I do that with some of my stuff, like the shoes I just bought. If it was mine, that's what I might try do with this bike. Then, if you want to be 'special' on occasion, you can always take the tape off!

Barring that, I agree with zpl....sell the bike. A good paint job costs a lot of money. Plus, you'd have to completely disassemble and reassemble....a lot of work.

Splinters75
07-17-2009, 11:01 AM
I appreciate the suggestions, but selling isn't an option (she really loves the bike) and tape may be okay on my bike, but she REALLY wants the sucker repainted...ahem...well, pink.

Know of any shops in town that will do it. I found some on the internet that you can ship your bike to, but the boxing and shipping for paint that we can't actually (physically) see beforehand doesn't feel like a good option.

Any local options? (Cost isn't totally a non-issue, but we aren't too concerned about the price (If that was the case, I'd take a whack at the DIY))

Thanks again!

wsbob
07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Pink? Whoa... . Sounds like a good idea to make sure it get's done right if that's the way this is going. You might be advised to have the existing paint stripped before repainting. The precise shade of pink you choose may be very important too. Have you checked the main page column listing 'Bike Builders' ? From reading articles about local people that do that work, I think it's likely there are some first class bike painters here in town...(but maybe you've already talked to them). Those builders would probably be able to tell you who.

zpl
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Have you talked to these guys?

http://bikeportland.org/2009/02/04/brooker-enterprises-wants-to-paint-your-bike-video/

Scott

Splinters75
07-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Thank you very much! These guys look perfect!

Excellent.

Happy riding!

Fringe
08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I second that about Brooker Enterprises - they did an outstanding job on my bike frame and forks! They do a lot of the bikes for the local shops around town. Turnaround time was less than 2 weeks.