PDA

View Full Version : Ok, next step... Socks

K'Tesh
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Alright, I've got the clipless pedals (Shimano A530's), and SIDI Dominator 5 shoes (for distance, casual shoes pending). Now, I'm thinking about socks.

My experience with "technical" fibers is limited to a jersey. I found it very much a dissappointment when I discovered how bad it can smell. So I'm thinking natural fibers.

Anybody got opinions on wool (or other natural fibers) socks? Brands?

Thanks!
K'Tesh

Psyfalcon
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Cheap cotton socks sized to length and cut as well as thickness (hot/cold).

Remove and replace as required.

zpl
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Those are some nice shoes you picked out, K'Tesh. Good work.

Smartwool makes some lightweight socks for running and cycling. I bought a pair from Performance that are very comfy and have lasted well. I think the model was discontinued otherwise I'd buy 3 more pairs right now.

On the other hand, I have some Smartwool midweight "walking" socks that have thinned out in the heel badly, and are close to the point of being thrown away (and that's after only a year of use).

Scott

lynnef
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Wool socks. Smartwool - I like the ones with more cushion rather than less. I have yet to throw a pair away, and I both run and ride in them. Some pairs are probably 5 years old.

wsbob
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Just tripping around in fair weather, which is mostly what I'm doing these days...cotton Nike anklet socks work fine for me. Can't remember whether I wore wool or a synthetic in the days when I was doing long daily mileages. If I think about it a little..might have had some lightweight wool socks back then. Think so, because in the rainy times, if the foot is wet (even though wearing booties) the warmth while wet is something to be said for wool.

I'm funny about synthetics. I've been experimenting with a variety of Champion synthetic jerseys. The results have been good, but directly against the skin? No. For the present season, I use them as an over-shirt with cotton underneath. Even though the cotton gets wet with sweat, I think the synthetic helps to wick away some of the moisture. It's a good trick. The synthetic dries very quickly. Might work similarly, used in a sock system. My impression is that this keeps the strongest of the body oils and fluids from coming into direct contact with the synthetic, so the odor issue is minimized.

Haven_kd7yct
07-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Nike has some really lightweight anklet socks that I use on hot days. However, I use a fairly heavy shoe right now that doesn't have a lot of ventilation, so need a really lightweight sock to keep my feet comfy.

I cannot say enough good things about Smartwool!!! I love their socks. I also get the ones with more cushion, not less. Good stuff.

RonC
07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Does Smartwool come from sheep of above average intelligence?

I'll need to be careful exactly how I'm going to tell my wife about all the great socks everyone else seems to have. :)

lynnef
07-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I guarantee that on Cycle Oregon, there are times where it will be Very Cold. Also times where it will be raining. They are often coincident. Cotton socks will not help you there - they will get wet, they will not dry, nor will they keep you warm when they are wet. They also bunch up around your feet and can cause blisters.

K'Tesh
07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I guarantee that on Cycle Oregon, there are times where it will be Very Cold. Also times where it will be raining. They are often coincident. Cotton socks will not help you there - they will get wet, they will not dry, nor will they keep you warm when they are wet. They also bunch up around your feet and can cause blisters.

Rain in Jefferson State in September? Not that I remember! A heavy dew perhaps...

As to the rest about cold/wet feet and blisters I'd buy that info.

I'm thinking that I'm going to aim for fresh socks each day w/o the need for washing. So, perhaps 7-14 pairs of the smartwool socks (depends on how my feet feel after a long ride if I'll need to change them enroute).

Thanks for the help!
K'Tesh

nuovorecord
07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Smartwools are nice. If you're wanting other options, DeFeet makes nice wool socks as well. I have a bunch of DeFeet Woolie Boolies and Wool-E-Ators that have held up well. 8 years and counting!

zpl
07-14-2009, 03:58 PM
So, perhaps 7-14 pairs of the smartwool socks (depends on how my feet feel after a long ride if I'll need to change them

At $14 or so per pair, that won't be cheap. The nice thing about wool socks is you can wear them a few times before washing - even if you sweat a lot. A good general rule is you only need to wash wool when it gets dirty - not sweaty.

Scott

lynnef
07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Rain in Jefferson State in September? Not that I remember! A heavy dew perhaps...
K'Tesh

Count on it. I'm trying to remember one of my 5 or 6 Cycle Oregons where it did not rain at least once. Nope. It will certainly rain if you don't bring a jacket and booties.

Lynne "Meacham, 37 degrees and raining..." F

nuovorecord
07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Count on it. I'm trying to remember one of my 5 or 6 Cycle Oregons where it did not rain at least once. Nope. It will certainly rain if you don't bring a jacket and booties.

Lynne "Meacham, 37 degrees and raining..." F

Sounds like 2006, if I'm not mistaken. I remember the bonfires they built to warm us up.

K'Tesh
07-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I understand, and I'll plan for it, but I'll point out these averages for the September weather in northern Jefferson State:

Ashland
High Temp 79.5
Low Temp 42.8
Precip .88

Crater Lake
High Temp 62.3
Low Temp 35.9
Precip 2.21
Snow 3.99

Grants Pass
High Temp 82.7
Low Temp 43.0
Precip .87

Klamath Falls
High Temp 77.0
Low Temp 43.6
Precip .58
Snow .00

Medford
High Temp 83.5
Low Temp 48.3
Precip .78

Roseburg
High Temp 80.9
Low Temp 49.9
Precip 1.07

Psyfalcon
07-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Yes, so somewhere along that route its going to rain at least a quarter inch on you. Maybe the full inch or some snow if you're lucky.

Its rained 4 of the last 5 times I've been east of the Cascades for that matter, in the summer. Rain, in Prairie City, in June!

zpl
10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
DeFeet makes nice wool socks as well. I have a bunch of DeFeet Woolie Boolies and Wool-E-Ators that have held up well. 8 years and counting!

I bought a pair of Woolie Boolies recently and they are now my favorite wool socks. I think I'm going to get a pair for my dad for Christmas, who would never spend that much on a pair of socks for himself.

This morning I went on a ride and thought I should have brought the toe-box "mini-booties" I have, as it was in the low-mid 40s. However, the Woolie Boolies kept my feet very comfortable throughout the ride.

Scott

q`Tzal
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
+1 on Smartwool!
For super thin moisture management, for those of us with really sweaty feet, try Injinji (http://www.injinji.com/). Been using the Performance Series (http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/p_mini.htm) in mini-crew for about 8 years. Just this sock alone has helped manage my ... contentious foot issues. They have a wool version as well but it was not a durable as the original for a heavy person such as myself.
On the recommendation of sales person at Foot Solutions I started using a thicker sock for more cushioning; this mainly was to slow down damage to shoes. Of course they recommended thick cotton socks.

<derisive>Ha.</derisive>

The Smartwool PhD Running Trail Mid Mini, used to be #10-312 - now seems to be 10-364, have performed quite well. Of course there are many different different sock heights and thicknesses that are easy to navigate once you get used to the all Flash website.