PDA

View Full Version : okay, now to the coast

shnshni
07-09-2009, 08:51 PM
SO.......I am planning this ride, see, and the first night I really want to spend near cape lookout. I'm planning on taking the MAX as far as I can (hillsboro gov't center?). but then....its about 20 miles farther than our planned mileage per day. anyone know the fastest, nicest, all around best way there? or maybe a good halfway spot, like, 40-60 miles from Hillsboro? thanks

hunter

bikieboy
07-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Hunter, check out this link re: coast routes by bike, on the city of Portland's website:

http://www.portlandonline.com/Transportation/index.cfm?c=39889&

Hillsboro via Hwy 6 to Tillamook is the most direct to Cape Lookout. It's a pretty nice route: traffic is lower than other state highways, there's something of a shoulder for the most part, & the climb over the coast range summit is not bad. I recently rode out to Cape Lookout, & left Hillsboro at 9:30 and was in Tillamook by 2:30. i'm not a fast rider by any means, but i was travelling light, though. Also, the ride around Cape Meares via Oceanside to get to Cape Lookout is really nice & quiet - but it adds a few miles and some climbing.

There's some Tillamook state forest campgrounds along the way if you don't want to do it in a day - Elk Creek is a pretty nice place to stay.

The other highly recommended route is via the Nestucca River road. It's a really low traffic road, but it's considerably longer, has a bigger climb, and involves a little backtracking to the north to get to Cape Lookout once you hit the coast. Too long of a day for me, loaded, but there are some BLM campgrounds along the river on the way, so you could do it in 2 moderate/easy days.

lynnef
07-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Hillsboro to Tillamook isn't bad. I've done Forest Grove to Tillamook via Hwy 6 in about 5 hours (part of the OrRando Three Capes 300km).

Get yourself to Forest Grove, ride out Gales Creek Rd, then hop onto Hwy 6. Once you summit, it is about 30 miles downhill. :) And then, of course, the flat stretch into Tillamook.

RonC
07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
If your intent is to go south, you should seriously consider the Nestucca River Rd. route bikieboy recommended. I've ridden that route several times, and some of the BLM campgrounds along the river have looked very inviting. That way you could skip Cape Lookout entirely. Don't know if it's still true, but the road used to be blocked to through auto traffic (but not bikes) due to a land dispute. There are a couple of miles of gravel to deal with, but I've been able to white-knuckle it on 23C's, and it you have 28C or bigger it should be OK. It's not that long.

Once you're on 101 and heading South, make sure not to miss the Slab Creek Road cutoff to Otis. It's a nice low traffic forested route that helps make the climb over/around Cascade Head somewhat easier and much more enjoyable. Cascade Head on 101 is just a grind with lots of cars whizzing by.

bikieboy
07-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Don't know if it's still true, but the road used to be blocked to through auto traffic (but not bikes) due to a land dispute.

sadly, it's not. still low traffic, but not as quiet as it was when it was blocked.

Once you're on 101 and heading South, make sure not to miss the Slab Creek Road cutoff to Otis. It's a nice low traffic forested route that helps make the climb over/around Cascade Head somewhat easier and much more enjoyable. Cascade Head on 101 is just a grind with lots of cars whizzing by.

yeah, Cascade Head on 101 southbound is nasty - not much shoulder in my recollection. plus, the Slab Creek Rd., aside from being a really pleasant ride, spits you out right at the Otis Cafe. mmmm, famous potatoes!

AsanaCycles@mac.com
07-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Hunter, check out this link re: coast routes by bike, on the city of Portland's website:

http://www.portlandonline.com/Transportation/index.cfm?c=39889&

Hillsboro via Hwy 6 to Tillamook is the most direct to Cape Lookout. It's a pretty nice route: traffic is lower than other state highways, there's something of a shoulder for the most part, & the climb over the coast range summit is not bad. I recently rode out to Cape Lookout, & left Hillsboro at 9:30 and was in Tillamook by 2:30. i'm not a fast rider by any means, but i was travelling light, though. Also, the ride around Cape Meares via Oceanside to get to Cape Lookout is really nice & quiet - but it adds a few miles and some climbing.

There's some Tillamook state forest campgrounds along the way if you don't want to do it in a day - Elk Creek is a pretty nice place to stay.

The other highly recommended route is via the Nestucca River road. It's a really low traffic road, but it's considerably longer, has a bigger climb, and involves a little backtracking to the north to get to Cape Lookout once you hit the coast. Too long of a day for me, loaded, but there are some BLM campgrounds along the river on the way, so you could do it in 2 moderate/easy days.

i've been looking things up
here's a blog entry with some pics
http://www.beloblog.com/KGW_Blogs/grants_getaways/2009/05/nestucca-river-scenic-byway.html