PDA

View Full Version : Bend route Redux

shnshni
07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
okay, so I will probably be posting way tooo much in the coming days, but I now am thinking about riding south, either along the coast or through the valley, then turning east towards klamath and then up to bend. hopefully about 7-8 days? I've just never really done anything like this. Curious about routes down the coast. How's 101 to ride on? And crossing over form the coast to the klamath area? Going up through the desert (from klamath to bend) seems easier, as its more sparsely populated and a little flatter. But any advice, etc. would be great.

thanks
h

roberte
07-02-2009, 09:48 AM
RE: crossing over from the coast to Klamath.

You could go down coast to Florence and cross over to Eugene or Cottage Grove, then up over the Cascades near Diamond Lake/Crater Lake to hwy 97 and then down or up.

Or from North Bend or Bandon through Myrtle Point to Roseburg and over the Cascades as above

Or from N. Bend or Bandon through Myrtle Point to Powers to Riddle to Canyonville to Tiller up through Crater Lake or down to K. Falls via Butte Falls

Or continue to Crescent City Calif, then over to Grants Pass, then Medford/Ashland and then up to Klamath Falls.

The only road I've not been on is the Powers to Riddle.

All of the routes will have some stiffish climbing; Ashland to K.Falls involves a choice of two 13 mile climbs followed by several smaller rises and falls for example. On a loaded touring bike, that leg could be a whole day. If you're credit card touring, and not being inspired by the TDF, that could be a whole day.

"..never really done anything like this" If there isn't a big time crunch, like wanting to leave this weekend, I'd suggest an overnighter in whatever mode you're thinking of, loaded, credit card, to see what you're comfortable with in terms of hills and mileage and getting up and heading out on that second day.

bikerinNE
07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Curious about routes down the coast. How's 101 to ride on? And crossing over form the coast to the klamath area? Going up through the desert (from klamath to bend) seems easier, as its more sparsely populated and a little flatter. But any advice, etc. would be great.

thanks
h

I'm actually leaving in a week for fully loaded, unsupported tour on the Oregon Coast. Adventure Cycling Association has a map of their bike route down the oregon coast, and then ODOT has a published Oregon Coast Bicycle Route. Both have very good information on the roads and riding conditions. But both will very with traffic. I'm riding to S.F. then over to Lake Tahoe, and back to portland via 395 and 97 to The Dallas, onward to Portland.

shnshni
07-06-2009, 07:28 AM
thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about the powers/tiller/myrtle point route. Am I crazy to think I can do this in 10 days? Also, is it possible to sleep places that aren't designated campsites along the way, or should I always plan a night in a camp? furthermore.....do you guys plan out exactly how far you'll go each day way ahead of time, or do you just kind of go for it and see how you feel?

thanks

h

roberte
07-06-2009, 08:32 AM
"..is it possible to sleep places that aren't designated campsites.."

Stealth camping? Might want to look through the bikeforums.net for threads on pros and cons.

Or knocking on doors.....

The mileage looks like ~ 55 a day which should be doable; but experience, weather, will, terrain will be the final arbiter. I'd say choose a route and pick out campsites ahead of time, then adjust if necessary. Might want to factor in a rest day, or a real short day around the middle. I'd do the 'test' weekend if all this is new to you. It's interesting discovering how many boxes of mac and cheese and bowls of oatmeal and during the day eating and drinking it takes.

roberte
07-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Arrrgh, forgot to add to previous post:

In general, I'd say that route is good. There is a lot of spectacular scenery down the coast, through the mountains, and up to Bend.

If all this is new to you, and you have some deadline (like getting back for work, or new job there, etc) I'd have a fallback plan like cutoff mileage and cut through Eugene or use bus or train, etc.

There are some big stretches (getting to the coast, along the coast, LaPine area for examples) where there is no cell coverage, so plan how you'll keep friends and family updated.

Keep a journal. And best wishes, it looks to be an interesting ride!

shnshni
07-07-2009, 08:16 AM
thanks. I DO have a dealine--Ween in Bend on the 28th. But if I miss that, then...it will be a bummer but I'll have more riding to do. And, looking at the map, there are a lot of ways I could not go so far south. I'm just doing so to continue with a companion as long as I can before she splits off to chico. So thanks for the advice. I'm planning on camping but eating mostly in towns and stuff, not carrying 10 days of food with me or anything. some peanut butter for emergencies. Glad to know that you plan out the campsites ahead of time. Looking forward!!!!!

h