PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry the mark?

Bent Bloke
05-19-2009, 01:19 PM
The other day, I noticed a dark oval or half-moon shape on the back of my right hand. I thought, "Huh, when did I get that bruise? I don't remember smacking my hand on anything." So I went to poke it with my left hand, to see if it was tender.

It wasn't.

Then I notice the same mark on the back of my left hand. It's not a bruise, it's a bike glove tan line! And it's getting more pronounced every day! It's one way you can identify another biker when you are standing in line somewhere.

So, do you carry the mark? :cool:

brock
05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Nope, I prefer full fingered gloves or none at all.

After the last couple weeks though, my spandex-enabled farmers tan is starting to look TIGHT!

;)

thumbprinter
05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
the tops of my knees are starting to get pretty dark. :)

bikerinNE
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
The other day, I noticed a dark oval or half-moon shape on the back of my right hand. I thought, "Huh, when did I get that bruise? I don't remember smacking my hand on anything." So I went to poke it with my left hand, to see if it was tender.

It wasn't.

Then I notice the same mark on the back of my left hand. It's not a bruise, it's a bike glove tan line! And it's getting more pronounced every day! It's one way you can identify another biker when you are standing in line somewhere.

So, do you carry the mark? :cool:

You thought a tan line was a bruise?

fredlf
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Not only do i get a bike glove tan-line, I get a little darker brown circle from the hole above the velcro strap on my gloves.

In truth, cycling togs do not yield a flattering look, tan-line wise.

Citizen Irene
05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't wear gloves unless I'm going to be on a super long ride so instead I'm developing funny little calluses on my palms at the base of each thumb. Not sure how I feel about that but at least it means I'm getting a lot of riding in!

scoot
05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
but I always have a round little bruise on my calf. What's up with that?

Bent Bloke
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Not only do i get a bike glove tan-line, I get a little darker brown circle from the hole above the velcro strap on my gloves.
Yeah, that dark brown circle is the one I noticed and at first thought it was a bruise. :rolleyes:

wsbob
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
In truth, cycling togs do not yield a flattering look, tan-line wise.

I sort of agree. What if cycling shorts had semi-transparent breaks in the opaque parts of the garment that would allow the sun to pass through and create an interesting pattern once they were off? That could be...very interesting. An idea inspired by those extremely repetitive sex chat commercials on late night tv...the girl with the sun-block heart on her belly just above her jeans waist line... . Is there any way that kind of thing can not be tacky?.

Before tan in spring/summer is kind of rough. Went out this weekend with my sleeves pushed up mid-forearm, so I've got a really goofy looking tan line there. Didn't wear gloves...boy, that was a mistake. After a good bit of riding and climbing, then some traveling on the gravel section of the road for awhile, my hands felt like hamburger. Ah-h-h...conditioning!

K'Tesh
05-20-2009, 01:12 AM
I was working on one, but I've lost all trace of it for a few weeks...

More later ;)
K'Tesh

kenl666
05-20-2009, 07:22 AM
I have the tan where it looks like I dipped my hand in bleach ;)

I think I'll skip the gloves for a while...

Oldguyonabike
05-20-2009, 07:33 AM
After Reach the Beach I had a line across my left upper arm and across my left thigh as distinct and straight as a ruler. Neglected the sunscreen there. Hadn't really thought that a ride strictly west means your south side gets the brunt of the sun.
Going to have to ride east thsi weekend to even things out.

biciclero
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm developing funny little calluses on my palms at the base of each thumb.
--Citizen Irene

Are you sure you haven't been lifting weights? That and heavy use of gardening tools is how I got those same calluses. You must keep a tight grip on those handlebars!

boneshaker
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
A little bit, but I use sun-tan lotion before hitting the long rides.

LESTER
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I haven't worn summer cycling gloves in years. It's been so long that the last cycling glove tan I got had the one large dot and numerous small dots from the mesh gloves.

LESTER
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
A little bit, but I use sun-tan lotion before hitting the long rides.

Remember to bring some with you, too. Most of that stuff is only good for a couple hours of sweating, unless you're using Bullfrog.

thumbprinter
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
.the girl with the sun-block heart on her belly just above her jeans waist line... . Is there any way that kind of thing can not be tacky?

No!! :D

jr98664
05-20-2009, 05:55 PM
It's funny you mention it, because I was just thinking about my tan lines coming back for the summer. During the summer, I cycle almost solely in khaki shorts with either my short-sleeved cycling jersey or just a plain t-shirt, and I practically never ride without my open-fingered gloves.

What I end up getting is what I call the Cyclist's tan: tanned legs up to my shorts and down to my ankle socks, tanned tops of my arms from sleeve to glove, with a glaring white spot underneath my watch, and then tanned fingers. The side of my head under my glasses also ends up untanned.

I once thought about stopping using my gloves so that I would get a more even tan, but I figured I might as well wear my tan lines with a bit of pride. Now I actually use them to see how much time I spent cycling when compared to other activities such as hiking, where my hands actually do tan. Now I'm left wondering how stark my tan lines are going to be by the end of the year. :rolleyes:

Citizen Irene
05-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Are you sure you haven't been lifting weights? That and heavy use of gardening tools is how I got those same calluses. You must keep a tight grip on those handlebars!

A tight grip? That's what biking in NYC will do to you!

:D