PDA

View Full Version : Larch Mountain

The Goat
05-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone I was wondering what the status of Larch Mountain Road is currently? Is it open? Is there much snow at the top? etc. I have been really looking forward to doing this ride. Thanks for your help.

brock
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
As of Saturday, the road was gated at mile 10, and snowfree until a little past mile 11, about 3 miles short of the summit. After that, it looks very unplowed and is maybe 8 feet deep. Beware of bonk inducing headwinds on the way back in on Marine drive ;)

The Goat
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
awesome thanks a lot. usually around what time does the snow melt completely to the summit? Early June? or is it more dependent on just streaks of warm weather? Thanks man!

brock
05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Year to year, it depends on the snowpack of course, and how hot of a spring we have. Given what we saw, I'd guess mid to late June this year.

thumbprinter
05-17-2009, 08:40 AM
as of around noon yesterday the snow blocked the road about a mile past the gate, right @ 3000 feet, not sure about 8 feet deep but i'd believe around 3 or 4. :)

it was a beautiful ride up there, crystal clear morning (the view from the women's forum lookout was stunning) and very quiet on most of larch mt road....

kenl666
06-08-2009, 07:22 AM
I was able to get 3 or 4 miles past the gate on Saturday before stopping due to snow. I don't remember exactly because it was unbelievably cold and rainy/dripping condensation off the trees. I was shivering and teeth were chatting and my hands were getting numb. My bike computer said it was about 45, a lot cooler than 60 just a little down the road. I don't think I've ever been so cold on a bike before, when I got down to the gate I actually walked for about a half-mile to warm up again.

I was able to get to the sharp-left that also has a trail-head, if anyone is familiar with the entire route (I'm not). Lots of little debris scattered on the road, one tree is kind of leaning across the road but not blocking it.

This ride was also the first time that I experienced two simultaneous flat tires, on Marine Drive by Blue Lake. Fortunately I had a patch kit AND extra tube, so it just took a little extra time...

thumbprinter
06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
good to know, i've been wondering when it will be clear to the top...

Psyfalcon
06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I was able to get 3 or 4 miles past the gate on Saturday before stopping due to snow.
I was able to get to the sharp-left that also has a trail-head, if anyone is familiar with the entire route (I'm not). Lots of little debris scattered on the road, one tree is kind of leaning across the road but not blocking it.

There is only 4.6 miles after the snowgate, so you may have been very close.

I may attach my skis (or snowshoes) to my bike and make a summit attempt this weekend. Lock up if, or when the snow becomes impassible and forgo mechanical advantage for the last mile or so.

brock
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds like it's clear to the top already?

http://www.commissionercogen.com/2009/06/upper_section_o.html

drosen
07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
I googled a route to Larch Mt. Is there only one way to get there, via Hwy 6?

RonC
07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
You're looking at a different Larch Mountain. People here have been discussing the one in Multnomah county, not the Washington county one.

zpl
07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
That's the wrong Larch Mtn. I know, it's what Google will display if you enter "Larch Mtn, Oregon" in Google Maps.

The Larch Mtn referred to in this thread is in the Mt. Hood national forest:

http://www.columbiariverimages.com/Regions/Places/larch_mountain.html

http://www.rubbertotheroad.com/?p=498

Scott

Psyfalcon
07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
The correct google map keywords are Larch Mtn, Multnomah, OR.

There is also one in Clark Co. WA. Strangely, they're all 50 miles or so from my apartment. Maybe I should spend a week Larch hunting.

bikerinNE
03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Is there camping at Larch Mountain?

Psyfalcon
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I dont think there is any camping.

But, the road might be clear. A hiking report from 2-19 had a bare upper parking lot. The snow gate is almost certainly closed though.

lynnef
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
camping at Larch Mtn - well, not at the top, but I seem to remember that there are some campgrounds all along the road up. I think. Could be confusing it with Ripplebrook :-) Probably don't open until the road is clear.

brock
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Road is gated at mile 10, but snow free to the top. Hello, El Nino.

Psyfalcon
03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Snowing in Beaverton. And I totaled my derailleur. Shame, I was going to do it this weekend.

fredlf
03-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Tried Larch with some shifties on 3/27. About 3/4 mile from the gate at mile 10, at the switchback, there was snow about 4" deep on the roadway. There was a narrow, slushy car-tire track you could barely ride in, but this not being the Giro D'Italia, and me not being Andy Hampsten, I turned around. Two more intrepid members made it to the summit, but had to push their bikes through snow the last mile.

Kids.

drosen
04-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Any current news on if Larch Mt. is open? I really want to try this route. Thanks.

Tried Larch with some shifties on 3/27. About 3/4 mile from the gate at mile 10, at the switchback, there was snow about 4" deep on the roadway. There was a narrow, slushy car-tire track you could barely ride in, but this not being the Giro D'Italia, and me not being Andy Hampsten, I turned around. Two more intrepid members made it to the summit, but had to push their bikes through snow the last mile.

Kids.

bobcycle
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Larch Mt. on Saturday. Gate closed at 10.5 miles so no cars but road was completely clear of snow until mile 14.0 where they stopped plowing. I walked the 1/3 of mile to parking lot. Snow is probably 4 feet deep up there. Another 1/4 mile hike in snow to Shepards Point view spot. The view was spectacular!!! Now is the time to go, since cars can't get by gate. Return trip is a 3.5 mile descent at 30 mph without pedaling. 70 miles round trip from NE PDX, look at google map and take Hurlburt, Little Page then Louden to Larch Mt. road. Be forewarned parts of Louden are 16% grade.

jeff
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
what BobCycle said still holds, as of yesterday - 5/13. Be prepared to wade through snow to get to the view. The 3+ miles after the gate are a relentless climb. About 3700 feet of elevation gain over 17 miles from Springdale to the top - ugh. But a beautiful ride through the forest, with very low traffic.

brock
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
What a year -- two months ago I rode all the way to the top, no snow in sight. And now it's snowed in!

djstabe
06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
How's the road as of June 1, 2010? Any snow?

RedRiderPDX
06-02-2010, 12:40 PM
From the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area website:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

"The road to Larch Mountain is now open at milepost 10 and Larch Mountain trailhead and picnic area is two wheel drive accessible."

jeff
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
From the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area website:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

"The road to Larch Mountain is now open at milepost 10 and Larch Mountain trailhead and picnic area is two wheel drive accessible."

I thought it really said that...:rolleyes:

bobcycle
07-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Just read this on USDA forestry web site

"The upper section of Larch Mountain Road beyond milepost 10 in rural East County remains closed due to heavy snowfalls this winter and spring. The section will likely remain closed until late June, said Mike Pullen, a Multnomah County spokesman. For up to date information please contact Mike Pullen at 503-988-6804"

Anyone been up there to check it out?

RedRiderPDX
07-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Heading up this weekend. Will go as far as snow permits.

RedRiderPDX
07-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Wide open all the way to the top. Nearly eaten alive by bugs at the top. Road generally in good condition, swept free of junk above the gate. Minor fresh spalling of the road at a logging site entrance around MP 6 (just above).

Get out there and ride it.

bobcycle
07-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Just FYI There is a time trial event from Corbett High School to the top of the Larch mountain Sunday July 24th. http://www.consystency.net/obra/ouch/