PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist crash on Hawthorne bridge this afternoon.

tonyt
05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Does anyone have any info? There was an ambulance there, a guy was being attended to, lying on his back on the sidewalk and his bike looked pretty tweaked.

A comment to the guy who I chatted with after we went around it all and continued on; remember, you know a lot less than you do know.

You do NOT know that the guy wasn't wearing a helmet. Spare the snap judgements for some other time.

There WAS a helmet lying on the sidewalk next to him, and no it wasn't a "fireman's helmet." There were no firemen there and I know a bike helmet when I see it.

Maybe it wasn't his helmet, and maybe he wasn't wearing one. But at that point, you and I knew ZERO about the situation.

And there was some other comment that I didn't quite catch about people not knowing how to ride or something like that.

And really, that's the first thing that comes out of your mouth? Not "hope the guy's okay?" Or even, "I wonder what happened."

Anyway. I hope the guy was okay.

bubbaPDX
05-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I dismounted and walked my bike past, and saw what you saw. The guy was sitting upright, and had some serious road rash on his face. Couldn't deduce what happened or the helmet situation; however, his head clearly hit the ground (by way of his face).

First feeling was sympathy for our downed comrade, followed by annoyance for the requisite few cyclists who just had to haul ass around the accident scene.

K'Tesh
05-07-2009, 08:02 AM
To the person who got hurt... I think I can say for us all,

Our prayers for a speedy recovery!

Get Well!
K'Tesh

tonyt
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
but there are many out here who might say our THOUGHTS are with him. Prayers? Not my gig.

flying_dutchman
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
but there are many out here who might say our THOUGHTS are with him. Prayers? Not my gig.
I too am godless, however...
This is not the venue for a discussion on the validity of prayer. Anything and everything that can be brought into play to heal our wounded comrade and to protect us all from similar fates is welcome.

bubbaPDX
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
A shout-out to Ganesh, the Remover of Obstacles. Be they injuries, storm drains, Canadian geese, or pedestrians. ;)

http://www.sanatan.org/en/campaigns/Ganesh/images/SriGanesh_murti_white.jpg

tonyt
05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
You're right flying dutchman. This thread that I started is not the place for a religious debate (which I did not attempt to engage in). But when someone says they speak for me and they don't, I believe I should be entitled to say something quietly and politely.

That's all.

Back on topic. As it turns out, the person lying on the sidewalk was a woman and the totally innocent person in all of this.

Reading the front page account of how it went down makes my stomach turn. I can only imagine what it was like to witness it.

Man. I will be riding more slowly on the Hawthorne Bridge from now on. Yikes.

bubbaPDX
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Reading the front page account of how it went down makes my stomach turn. I can only imagine what it was like to witness it.

Do you have a link? Thx!

wsbob
05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Do you have a link? Thx!

It's currently right on bikeportland's front page, but here's the link anyway:

rush hour crash on hawthorne bridge raises big questions (http://bikeportland.org/2009/05/07/is-bike-traffic-at-a-tipping-point-rush-hour-crash-on-hawthorne-bridge-raises-big-questions/)

I haven't ridden the Hawthorne Br during rush hour, but I've seen pictures and read plenty of comments about it. It should be no surprise at all that something like this has happened.

Reading the story, you'll learn right away that the injured person was not a guy, but a young woman. She landed on her face and got serious road rash due to a guy on a bike jockeying his way around other people on the bridge MUP. Fortunately, for whatever reason, it seems that he stayed on scene. Road rash anyplace on the body is nasty, but on the face is especially miserable. Miss....so sorry... .

In the comments, people are covering the bases relative to bike commuter overcrowding on this route, talking about everything from temperament to etiquette, to short term bike exclusive main lane usage to improvements on the Morrison Bridge and so forth.

That's good, because incidents like this should make it clear to city leaders that the city has kind of an emergency situation on its hands. Definitely, more people seem to be taking to the bike for commuting. Going into summer, numbers will likely increase. The politician that can come up with an excellent, quick short term solution to the problem that brought about this woman's injuries will be greatly appreciated.

I just hope their vision is adequate to the task at hand. Situations like this always make me think of news footage I've seen in past of the bike commute in Chinese cities...I wonder if our leaders have ever contemplated a situation (our critical mass excepted) approaching that one in this country on some scale.

bubbaPDX
05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
It's currently right on bikeportland's front page, but here's the link anyway:

rush hour crash on hawthorne bridge raises big questions (http://bikeportland.org/2009/05/07/is-bike-traffic-at-a-tipping-point-rush-hour-crash-on-hawthorne-bridge-raises-big-questions/)

Newbie question, admittedly. Thanks for the assist. I was looking elsewhere, and it spotlights the lack of coverage in other media outlets. Even the ambulance-chasing FOX 12. But I gather that's not unusual.

wyeast
05-09-2009, 07:21 AM
This is where our density goals come back to bite us a little. We've got a wonderful city with so many things in easy reach. But the price is that we have a lot of people - on the roads, on the sidewalks, on the MUP's. Everyone has to share and get along - pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, all have a role and a responsibility to help keep things moving smoothly.

Especially on the Hawthorne. Man, that bridge is a mess on every afternoon commute. Traffic backs up several blocks away trying to approach, and the MUP is clogged with bikes and pedestrians. Until we can get another bridge out there to alleviate congestion, all we can do is try to take it a little slower, especially cars and bikes, so that we don't end up with a tragic accident down the road.

Be safe out there, kids. :)

shewmaker
05-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Been riding the bridge for a long time as many of you have.
Biggest threat is from bike riders going too fast.
I'm fast too but never pass on the bridge...too dangerous.
Keep in mind that you are not obliged to maneuver your bike because someone is tinkling or yelling behind you. Hold your line. The bike lane is clearly marked.
Check out the video at Robobike in Sellwood.
"Road Rage on the Hawthorne Bridge"

Unbelievable