PDA

View Full Version : This gadget looks like it might be kind of cool...

Citizen Irene
05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
A safe way to listen to music on your ride?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10232831-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

What do you think? I'm always a little sad I can't listen to my ipod when I ride but there's no way I would ride with headphones on, way too dangerous.

jgadamski
05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
There are some incredibly small and very good quality speakers available for only a little bit.. ( $15 to $30) and,depending on bike and mechanical skills,it would be easy to set up something you could listen to on your bike,as well as removing them for other places ( your desk at work,etc). Think velcro.

That said, I probably will look at you with disdain as you overtake my sorry old butt, listening to that crap anyways. Does everything we do require a soundtrack?

Citizen Irene
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I don't care enough to invest any real money in it and I wouldn't use something like that for commuting. I'm just thinking about doing STP this summer and riding for two days in silence seems a little tough, unless I find someone to go with me! :)

brock
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
...unless I find someone to go with me! :)

Don't worry, you'll see another rider or two or eight thousand ;)

Citizen Irene
05-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Good point!

p8ntballbiker
05-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Oxygen made a helmet a few years back that had speakers built in to it. It was designed for skateboarders and rollerbladers so think of that style of helmet. The speakers arent the greatest and it came with a wire that plugs into the back of the helmet and then into my IPOD which I wear clipped to my messenger bag strap. I can hear eveything that is going on around me and be safe all while enjoying some tunes in the backround!:)

true
05-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I don't care enough to invest any real money in it and I wouldn't use something like that for commuting. I'm just thinking about doing STP this summer and riding for two days in silence seems a little tough, unless I find someone to go with me! :)

I actually enjoy not having the music or news or people talking at me when I'm riding. It's the only peace and quiet I get all day - as well as the feeling that I need to be listening to the traffic. On a ten day ride to San Francisco I listened to not a single tune, and I couldn't understand my riding buddy who was blasting his ipod the whole way.

q`Tzal
05-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Try eGO's - Sound Case (http://www.atlanticego.com/). eGo makes a line of waterproof shatter-proof iPod cases with waterproof speakers built in. Kinda looks like a Pelican case (http://www.pelican.com/) that was custom made for an iPod but with speakers built in.

I liked the rig a homeless guy in SC had: he rigged a car stereo, speakers and all, to his bicycle and ran it off a small motorcycle battery.

It would be nice to be able to listen to NPR news if only for the local news stories: I used to watch TV news but noticed that there was only about 5 minutes of actual news per 30 minutes. There seems to be less of the sensational fear mongering .