PDA

View Full Version : Locking up my Brooks saddle?

zpl
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I recently put a Brooks B17 saddle on my bike. I absolutely love it and it's been comfortable from the first ride.

Anyway, apart from covering the saddle in the rain, I'm wondering if theft is a big risk. It would take 5 seconds with a hex wrench to steal and I'd imagine a tweaker could easily get $50 for it on Craigslist. In addition to that, someone posted to Craigslist just a week ago that his Brooks saddle was stolen in broad daylight when his bike was parked downtown.

What do you folks think - should I get one of those small cables to loop through the saddle? Would that just attract more attention to it? (you can cut cables that thin with wire cutters anyway) A locking seat clamp bolt would likewise still leave the seatpost bolt vulnerable to a hex wrench.

And if I'm just over-analyzing about this and being paranoid, tell me so.

Thanks,

Scott

jr98664
04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Well, all you have to do is make your saddle harder to steal than the one next to it. Here's what I've done:

With a custom length braided steel cable, I've looped it around one of the tubes of my rear rack underneath the rack itself as to be out of sight. This cable then wraps around the rack stays (or whatever you call those metal arms that reach to the seat stays) and then through the rear triangle and up the seat post. There is a hole in my seat post just underneath my saddle, though which the cable then goes before going up and around the rails of the saddle, to which it is then locked.

Yes, the cable could be cut, but it provides a deterrent. In combination with a U-lock through my rear wheel and frame along with a cable lock through my front wheel, frame, and handlebars, there is not a single significant part of my bike that could be removed without breaking at least one lock. This should keep the tweakers off of my saddle.

My panniers are also nothing more than waterproofed canvas bags from Andy & Bax. At less than $15, I doubt seeing these dirty things ever being stolen, but the fact that they are actually wrapped around the rack instead of simply resting on it should help discourage theft. They're so well on there that I've never bothered to go through with removing them to clean—even in the warmth of my garage, it took too long.

bikerinNE
04-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd say your just being paranoid. I don't think many people would even know what a brooks saddle is, unless they are crazy about bikes. And I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for a saddle thats been worked over by someone else's ass. If your worried about it, just take the whole damn seat post with you. Oh, and if you go that route, don't forget to cover that hole where your seat post went.

Congrats on your B17

wsbob
04-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I'd say your just being paranoid. I don't think many people would even know what a brooks saddle is, unless they are crazy about bikes.

I've seen bikes locked up downtown with shiny, new or almost new Brooks saddles on them. Those things stand out like a Harley would parked amongst amongst a field of foreign crotch rockets. I'd take the seat and seatpost with me so the thief can't. Just because some of them do street drugs doesn't mean thieves are ignorant of the market for quality pre-owned bike parts.

whiney
04-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I've always wanted to try this:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-505122.html
"Super glue ball bearings in the heads of your allen screws. When you need access to that particular bolt, a little acetone will melt the glue and you can remove the ball bearing."

lynnef
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I've seen bikes locked up downtown with shiny, new or almost new Brooks saddles on them. Those things stand out like a Harley would parked amongst amongst a field of foreign crotch rockets. I'd take the seat and seatpost with me so the thief can't. Just because some of them do street drugs doesn't mean thieves are ignorant of the market for quality pre-owned bike parts.

I feel that way about MY bike. It does stand out. I use a u-lock, and a long braided-steel cable that goes through the front wheel, the rails on the Brooks, and the leather loop on the Carradice. And I still twitch when I can't see it.

the Wumpus
04-18-2009, 06:44 AM
My panniers are also nothing more than waterproofed canvas bags from Andy & Bax. At less than $15, I doubt seeing these dirty things ever being stolen, but the fact that they are actually wrapped around the rack instead of simply resting on it should help discourage theft. They're so well on there that I've never bothered to go through with removing them to clean—even in the warmth of my garage, it took too long.

Don't underestimate the awesomeness of the waterproofed canvas! Only a few boutique businesses still make the stuff, and they don't make it like they used to. Carradice and Drizabone have both been using more oil and solvent over wax than they used to. (read: greasy, stinky, not quite waterproof) Or a lot less, in Filson's case, they barely treat their canvas anymore. Hang on to those bags, they're getting harder to replace all the time!

Some of us secretly covet your canvas bags... Andy & Bax, you say...

Sorry, zpl, you can have your thread back now!

the Wumpus
04-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Back on the Brooks subject:

I've heard of hose clamps used creatively, a larger one diagonally through the rails and over the seatpost rail clamp adds an obstacle. If you have access to a MIG welder, get that seatpost at exactly the height you want and tack weld the nut to the bolt threads. Just plan the weld so you can get at it with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel or drill when you want to unweld it.

zpl
04-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm just being a bit paranoid about a new piece of gear and will probably leave things be for now. It's not the end of the world if someone were to steal my saddle, and the mental load of perseverating over it isn't worth it.

Scott

bonny790
04-18-2009, 08:35 PM
The choice is yours. They do get stolen. Would you miss it? I love mine and it would make for a very uncomfortable ride home so I lock it with a chain and padlock (the blue thing sticking out he back end of the saddle is the lock). Whatever, all I know is I never have to think about it. But then I use two u-locks, carry spare tubes, tools, pump, etc...always.

I also see many more bikes parked without saddles than I see people walking around with saddle in hand. It's also not the tweakers that would be taking it, but a$$hole that knows what a Brooks is, but is too broke (cheap, crooked, etc) to actually buy one for himself. Yes, there are dishonest cyclists out there with tarnished or missing haloes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7612786@N06/2533312842/

Hmmm, I tried adding image, but it's not showing, and yet I can see the link on the edit page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7612786@N06/2533312842/

vincentpaul
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Two points:

If I didn't use my bikes for both touring and light singeltrack, I would go with a bolt rather than the quick release. That by itself rules out most routine theft because the thief must have a tool to remove the bolt. I like to lower the seat when on singletrack, so that route's out for me.

On the other hand, I like to sew. I carry two seat covers in my saddle bag. One is the nice one that I use when I'm in low-theft areas. The other is the rattiest thing you have ever seen. Made it with some old canvas tarp that's waterproof on one side. Smeared it with grease. Garnished it with large amounts of duct and electrical tape. Doused it with ugly paint - including one large white splotch with some purple tinge that looks amazingly like bird splat. Just touching the thing looks hazardous to one's health. You'd never guess that there's a Brooks underneath.

I have to say though, I like the simple elegance of superglue and a ball bearing.

the Wumpus
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I have to say though, I like the simple elegance of superglue and a ball bearing.

And a button head bolt where the bolt head is accessible to pliers or vice grips, like so:
http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20080909/92095A244L.GIF

zpl
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Given that Hal Ruzal is grading bikes again, and I saw a few bikes in his latest video with saddle locks, I have reconsidered and picked up a short cable lock for my Brooks.

http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/hal-grades-your-bike-locking-3-the-final-warning/

It's simple enough to take on and off that I'll keep it on the bike during the week, and maybe take it off for my longer weekend rides.

Besides, now that my Brooks is breaking in, I'm really starting to become attached to it. :)

Scott