PDA

View Full Version : What bikey stuff should I do in 4 days??

shmooth
03-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi all,

My peeps are coming to town for four days, starting today (Thursday) -- they'll be flying in by the afternoon (from SF). They're going to rent bikes from one of your co-ops (don't know which one), so they're good to go with that -- just need to know where to go, what to check out, etc.

What should my peeps try to see, bike-related and otherwise, but especially bike-related, beer-related, politics/anarchist/infoshop/bike-coop-related, music-related, etc.?

I saw last week's Weekend Guide, so that's a huge plus. Now we know about the farmer's market, which sounds awesome, the bike polo, the potential rides, etc. I'll tell them to keep an eye out for the upcoming Weekend Guide.

Also, I heard there's a bar with a metro-bus-train map of some time on the wall that displays next arriving bus info?

Thank you!

jgadamski
03-26-2009, 06:43 AM
several things look good to me.. esp the tryon creek bike n hike. Close access to natural areas and our slowly growing network of trails would be a natural bikey thing to do. Hopefully I will be up early to watch a barge launch down on swan island... (hey, it interests me.. details at npgreenway.org in the calendar)

Being able to put the bikes on Max also gives you other communities to ride/visit. So look to Gresham and Beaverton too..

But it seems like a slow weekend. When it warms up,it has to be busier..

bikieboy
03-26-2009, 08:16 AM
good show at the Alladdin on Sat. nite:

http://www.aladdin-theater.com/

flying_dutchman
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
If they have any chops on a cycle rent a van or SUV and go to Hood River to ride on the linear park through the Mosier Twin Tunnels. This section of the Columbia River Historic Highway is only 9 miles round trip. There are some grades, but it is not steep, and half of it is down hill.

This is one of the best "Pacific Northwest" experiences to be had.!

When you are done, you are in Hood River (schweet) home of the famous Full Sail Brewery.

the Wumpus
03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
What should my peeps try to see, bike-related and otherwise, but especially bike-related, beer-related, politics/anarchist/infoshop/bike-coop-related, music-related, etc.?
For the bike and beer related:

Eastbank Esplanade, and the waterfront. Springwater corridor.
Roots Brewing. Tuesdays are $2.50 imperial pint day, all day, 20 oz. of some of the best beer in Portland.
Zoobomb. Bike polo on Sundays. (check out the calendar at shift2bikes.org)
Citybikes.
Community Cycling Center.
And, again, check out that Shift calendar for rides and events, come and see what Portland's laid back bike community is all about!