PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Socks - Sandals ?

vja4Him
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
What socks would you recommend for commuting and touring?

Also, what sandals would you recommend for cycling?

The weather where we live is rather mild (Modesto, CA), with some chilly mornings below freezing. I've been doing just fine riding with only one pair of socks and tennis shoes.

My socks are wearing out and I need to get some quality riding socks very soon!!! Also, my feet swell up from riding, and so I'd like to try sandals.

Bent Bloke
03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
I use wool socks this time of year. SmartWool makes some nice ones, but I've also got some Sugoi and Pearl Izumi socks that work nicely.

Keen makes some cycling sandals, but I haven't tried them. I always wear shoes (Shimano MT31 - mountain bike style).

lynnef
03-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Shimano or Keen (or Lake) sandals. The Shimano and Lake sandals fasten with velcro, so you can adjust the width. The Keens don't, and I think they fit a little tighter. I've got both the Shimanos and Keens, and would live in the Keens, if I could. The sole is less stiff than the Shimano, but I can live with it.

Wool socks, all the time. Amazingly enough, they aren't hot when it is hot (yes, I wear them when it is over 90 degrees F). Smartwool, DeFeet, others. I hardly ever wear synthetic socks; they make my feet clammy.

jr98664
03-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, when it comes to finding socks and shoes, I'm a size 48 European. Luckily, SmartWool socks are said to fit up to 49. I really don't think there will be a time in the near future when I'm not going to be wearing SmartWool. And you may be better off not telling people this, but you can easily get away with not washing them for a few uses. ;) Wool is really the way to go.

letsroll
03-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Well if you were core you would not use socks or shoes.

I have not used sandles but my shimano shoes are mostly mesh. As for socks I use cotton low cut socks. Super check and I use them for everything. They dry out durring the day if they get wet while I am at work. That said next year for winter I think I am going to try wool for warmth and I really need to get some new shoes.

Summer time I just skip the socks.

sgtiger
03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Another vote for Smartwool socks and Keen cycling sandals. I hardly ever wear my regular cycling shoes anymore. If it's cold, I just wear thicker wool socks.:D

It's possible to find good deals/clearance prices on wool socks at REI outlet, Backcountry, and SeirraTradingPost. They can be a bit spendy otherwise, but IMO they are well worth the $$$.

vincentpaul
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Teva sandles and wool socks work year almost year round for me. On rainy days I wear trail running shoes, if its really cold I wear light hiking boots. Traditional platform touring pedals (bike 1) or bmx platform pedals (bike 2) give you the latitude to wear anything you want. The guys that make Rivendell bikes suggest clogs for touring, but I prefer Tevas because they'll stay on for stream crossings when I take short hikes as a side trip.