PDA

View Full Version : Bike Repair Stand Recommendations?

vja4Him
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Which bike repair stand would you recommend? I need something very sturdy, and versitile, for working on our three bikes -- mountain bike, Electra Townie (large tubes, and long frame), and soon to be proud owner of Surly Long Haul Trucker!

I don't want a stand/legs that will cause my bike to fall over. I need something that I can easily put away. I'll have to use the stand in our driveway, but can't leave it there, so I will have to pack it inside and put away after each use.

zpl
02-21-2009, 08:35 AM
I have the consumer version of the Ultimate Repair Stand and I have no complaints about it. The tripod base of the unit slides up and the legs retract, turning the stand into a thick pole I can lean against a wall corner. It's also reasonably light and easy to move in and out of the house.

I'm pretty sure two of Performance's "Spin Doctor" repair stands are rebranded Ultimates. Their current price on the Pro version of the stand (which has the same fold-up leg design) is pretty good:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19982&subcategory_ID=4216

Scott

scholzj
02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
hey congrats on the purchase of a long haul trucker. I got one last june and LOVE!!! it. The only thing that I would suggest is if you got a small frame with the 26" tires get rid of the WTB's that come on it. They are awful. I did a 40 mile ride on them and got 4 flats. anywho enjoy the bike. oh and I have the consumer Park stand and am really happy with it as well. I got the older one that has the legs that are shaped like an L but they make a new one that folds up smaller. The ultimate is also a nice unit but I am more partial to the park. They tend to hold up better over the long run.