PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

hillbillyhoedown
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I want some gloves that perform well in our rainy cold winter. I ride to work at 6 in the morning and it is frigid! I want a waterproof/breathable glove that isn't bulky like that which I would use to snowboard. I've used and liked liner style gloves, but they aren't waterproof, and I have blown the stitching out of every pair in no time. Any good experiences? And while we're at it how bout summer glove? Something with a good terry top to wipe up brow sweat. Thanks all......

zpl
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I've only owned them a month, but I like my Pearl Izumi Cyclone gloves. Like you I wanted something that wasn't too thick and unwieldy but reasonably waterproof.

Scott

djasonpenney
02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
The Descente Wombat is a geat glove. No glove is perfectly waterproof, but the Wombat is perfect for the Portland area.

Extra points if you cover it with an "original glo-glov" http://www.pedigreen.com.

Philosophography
02-22-2009, 08:00 AM
I spent a bunch on some Pearl Izumi gloves and all the seams popped open in a short time--I'll never buy them again. I returned them and got some Gore waterproof gloves and they have been fantastic. That said, I think there is a lot to be said for having a few pair of tightly woven wool gloves. You can switch them out if they get too soaked and they stay warm when wet.

rainperimeter
02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
i've spent money on gloves from various manufacturers and on all but one pair i have been disappointed (the pair i liked are Lake mittens i bought for winter biking in minnesota.) about a year ago i bought some off brand 'windblock' fleece mittens at andy and bax. the type that has the flap over the fingers you can peel back for finger use. they're made by Montana Mountaineering (?), cost all of twelve bucks and are super warm. in a downpour they don't hold up, but neither do any of the fancy waterproof gloves i've used, and really we don't get downpours that often anyways.

biciclero
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I still use a (dorky) pair of yellow dishwashing gloves over an appropriate liner (poly, wool) for really rainy weather. They are cheap, somewhat hi-vis (yellow, although not reflective), and waterPROOF. The cuffs are long enough to tuck up under a jacket sleeve; I retain enough dexterity to buckle helmet and bags. If you're into "cool", they definitely don't work--but if you're a bike dork...

For literal freezing cold (which usually means not wet), I've found layers are the key. Regular summer padded, fingerless, bike gloves with liners or light poly work gloves over (or under) them, with some cheapo ($10) "weather-proof" gloves over that. The outer gloves are a little bit bulky, but nothing like ski gloves; they still work fine for my push/pull trigger shifters.

Axel
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I've only owned them a month, but I like my Pearl Izumi Cyclone gloves. Like you I wanted something that wasn't too thick and unwieldy but reasonably waterproof.

Recently switched from these gloves to a pair made by Trek ($35 at Bike Gallery in Beaverton, as seen at http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/356-231311).

I found that even with a liner glove inside the Cyclones, they were still not quite thick enough to keep out the cold and wind, which led to numb fingers. The Trek gloves have a super thick fleece lining on the inside and are WARM, no need to wear a second liner glove with these.
________
2RC146 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_2RC146)

boneshaker
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
No glove is perfect and you'll find that one is good for summer months while others are better for fall/spring. That said, I do 90% of my riding in summer gloves over wool liners. I've given up on trying to keep my hands dry. If a glove is warm and water-proof, i'll sweat so hard they get wet anyway. The wool liners ($14 @ Rivercity) keep my hands warm and after a ride they dry quickly. I also use some Specialized Deflect gloves that are alright. They keep my hands dry and reasonably warm, but no all that comfortable.

Best bet, go to the store and try on lots of gloves. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to go to the LBS and look at stuff.

letsroll
03-14-2009, 09:23 AM
You will end up with different gloves for winter and summer. Summer I typically don't use any gloves. Winter if it is dry you can get away with a suprisingly thin glove. I had an old pair of summer full finger mountain bike gloves that I loved. Fingers would get a bit cold at the end of my 40 min commute from portland to hillsboro but they would try quickly and my hand only really got cold after I stopped to get coffee. Those gloves bit the dust so I have been riding in a pair of Swix gloves. Insulation on top of the hand, thin leather for the bottom. The best part is that if they get wet they dry quite nice for the ride home. I think I remember they make a pair of lobster gloves as well. My hands get cold easly due to frost bite a couple of years ago so keeping my hands relativly warm is very important. The best system in my view would be a plain shell glove that you could put anything under for warmth. Dont forget that if your arms and or your core is cold your hands will be cold as well.