PDA

View Full Version : STP Seattle To Portland

Randonee
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Has anyone done this ride? Thoughts? My Dad and I are planning on doing this ride for the first time. Thoughts on the experience as a supported ride??

PatrickV
02-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I've done it twice, in 2006 and 2007, and am planning on doing it again this year. I've done lots of other centuries but no other supported multi-day rides. StP seems to me to be extremely well organized and run. There's a lot of nice terrain, I especially like the stretch between Centralia and the Columbia River.

Anybody have any experience or tips for taking the Amtrak up to Seattle with a bike? That's my plan for this year.

vincentpaul
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Anybody have any experience or tips for taking the Amtrak up to Seattle with a bike? That's my plan for this year.

I'd like to know more about experience with Amtrak as well. I'm trying to plan out a mountain bike tour with a buddy to the Glacier/Great Divide Trail area in September. There's an overnight direct route from Portland that stops in Glacier National Park.

bikieboy
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Patrick, it's pretty easy & only costs $5. I'd reserve early, though, as there's bound to be demand & i think there's only 5 (unboxed) bike spaces per train. The Coast StarLight doesn't carry onboxed bikes. Also, there's an AMTRAK coupon (buy one get one free) in the Chinook Book, not sure if it's valid for STP time of year, though.

vp, going to Glacier you'll need to box your bike. I'd go down to the Portland station and quiz them in person on it, as trying to get knowledgeable answers from AMTRAK online or on the phone is fairly impossible, in my experience.

Jeff Wills
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Has anyone done this ride? Thoughts? My Dad and I are planning on doing this ride for the first time. Thoughts on the experience as a supported ride??

I've done it twice, both times in two days riding with my wife. We took the chartered busses from Portland and rode back down, staying over night in Vader, roughly the 125 mile mark.

It's very well supported, with official and unofficial rest stops every couple miles. As long as you have some training miles under your belt, you'll be fine.

scdurs
02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
My comments mirror Jeff's. In fact, we probably rode it the same years.

I'd like to add that you can't get two easier back-to-back century routes in the northwest. It's got to be the flattest 200 miles around, except for a couple of hills. Like many rides, you have to do it just so you can say that you did. Otherwise, there are far too many people on the ride and to me it's not worth it. I won't do it again. There are far more interesting century rides and week-long tours out there that are more rewarding and more challenging, with far fewer riders. When I rode the STP there were 9-10,000 riders both years. I think they get 5-7,000 riders these days. If you look at the stats, half of the riders every year are first-timers. Doesn't say much for the ride if people don't come back.