PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Creek Road in Wa. Co.

drosen
02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Does anyone ride this road? What's the best way to ride it? Do you turn on Murphy? I scootered up the road today and nearly got lost before turning back. Thanks so much.

DR

Simple Nature
02-14-2009, 08:17 PM
The idea of taking Dairy Creek is to go over the hill to I30 around Scappoose.
If you are not familiar with it, you might want to have a GPS with you.

If you're looking for a Vernonia route, it would be Sellers or Green Mountain, or even Bacona.

drosen
02-14-2009, 08:21 PM
I see on Google Maps it may connect to Pumpkin Ridge via Murphy, does it? I do have GPS, thanks for the tip. I wasn't looking to go to Vernonia on it, but just a loop.

drosen
02-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Is I30 paved the entire way?

djasonpenney
02-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Most of us ride Dairy Creek as an out-and-back. You can either stop at the junction of Fern Hill, or turn right on Fern Hill out to the bridge at Greener Road.

Topographically it's a slight ascent all the way, so you end up with a pretty good paycheck on the way back.

If you approached Dairy Creek by heading westbound on Mountaindale Road, you can continue west, cross over at Frogger Junction (where Mountaindale crosses US-26; you'll see why we call it that), and then put in some pretty good cruising miles in the farmland above Forest Grove.

Simple Nature
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Is I30 paved the entire way?

I haven't been on I30 for a while, but my recollection is that is has a good shoulder.

lynnef
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Pumpkin Ridge Rd and Dairy Creek are indeed connected by Murphy Rd. Murphy Rd is not paved.

Murphy (on the Pumpkin Ridge end) is just before the pavement ends on Pumpkin Ridge Rd. Pumpkin Ridge is a pretty climb as well.

Like Jason said, most of us ride Dairy Creek as an out and back. You can turn right at the end of the pavement and go a bit further on Fern Flat; it is pretty there, but, again, an out and back.