PDA

View Full Version : Route advice PDX to Mcminnville?

bobcycle
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Need to go to McMinnville to visit the elders. Thinking of 99 from downtown all the way out. Would like to hear alternatives or bike lane/road shoulder conditions for 99 from PDX to Mac. Thanks.

djasonpenney
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Huh, I don't like 99W very much, and the shoulder is bound to be pretty gritty right now.

Consider swinging over to the west side (Hillsboro) and then:

Fern Hill Road
Spring Hill Road
North Valley Road
Kuehne Road

...which puts you just east of Carlton. Abbey Road will take you into Lafayette. Or, you can head west on Carlton-Chehalem road and drop down from the north at your leisure.

Go to maps.google.com and look in the vicinity of Yamhill and Carlton to see the roads I'm talking about.

bikieboy
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM
DJ's got a good route - I often take the MAX to Hillsboro and then ride that route, very pleasant. Here's a map of it as far as Yamhill / Carlton :

http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=39900&a=93918

bobcycle
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks very much! So do I get any shoulder on these roads or is it low traffic volume with high speeds. I am comfortable either way, just wondering.

bikieboy
01-16-2009, 09:18 AM
BC, there's no shoulder on the route between Hillsboro and Yamhill 9other than the main highway toward Forest Grove) - but the traffic volumes are really low, especially on weekends, so I've always for it quite pleasant.

I think that there's a shoulder on the main highway from Yamhill south to Mac but can't swear to it. There are likely some back ways to go, as well.