PDA

View Full Version : The search for the perfect bike:

lefty175
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Okay, so I'm in the market for a new bike for winter riding. Right now I ride a Specialized Sequoia with skinny 700x23c tires. I am ideally looking for a bike with all of these features or ability to be outfitted with these features:

-Fenders
-Racks
-Disc Brakes
-Geared (I have to travel through the West Hills at times and don't want to try and do so on a single-speed)
-Ability to fit tires at least in the mid- to high-30s or skinnier 26" tires.

Any suggestions? So far I have been recommended or looked at as a potential these bikes: Soma Doublecross, Surly Crosscheck, Marin Point Reyes, Scott SUB 20, and Scott Sportster. I'd say none of them fit my ideal.

Addition: It needs to be light enough and small enough to be lugged up a few flights of stairs and stored in an apartment. So Big Dummies are out, as are recumbents.

Simple Nature
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2380/2388314419_1fb4fa9ee9.jpg

:p

Philosophography
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I'd go for a Surly Pugsley. They're unstoppable. http://www.flickr.com/groups/surly-pugsley/

K'Tesh
12-19-2008, 10:35 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2380/2388314419_1fb4fa9ee9.jpg

I crashed again this morning. This Sh*t is getting OLD fast!

Once again I'm actually thinking about a recumbant trike myself.

My fears about them is that they are so low to the ground that I'd lose my "edge" over cars and not be able to see them, or worse them not being able to see me. I'm also worried about getting sloshed by passing cars when traveling near puddles.

I've mentally designed several, but they'd look odd, and I'm worried about CG issues unless it had a really wide wheel base, which presents other problems.

I'm afraid that I may have to just give in to the weather and... damn I don't want to say this... walk.

Be careful out there!
K'Tesh

hemp22
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Okay, so I'm in the market for a new bike for winter riding. Right now I ride a Specialized Sequoia with skinny 700x23c tires. I am ideally looking for a bike with all of these features or ability to be outfitted with these features:

-Fenders
-Racks
-Disc Brakes
-Geared (I have to travel through the West Hills at times and don't want to try and do so on a single-speed)
-Ability to fit tires at least in the mid- to high-30s or skinnier 26" tires.

Any suggestions? So far I have been recommended or looked at as a potential these bikes: Soma Doublecross, Surly Crosscheck, Marin Point Reyes, Scott SUB 20, and Scott Sportster. I'd say none of them fit my ideal.

Addition: It needs to be light enough and small enough to be lugged up a few flights of stairs and stored in an apartment. So Big Dummies are out, as are recumbents.
Personally, I'd go for a Lemond Poprad Disc. nice steel frame cross bike w/ disc brakes. it'll take fatter tires (comes with 700x34s) - you'd just have to put the fenders/rack on yourself (it does have mounts, I believe)

Bent Bloke
12-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey, K'Tesh:

You might want to consider a "crank forward" design, which is kind of a hybrid between a standard frame and recumbent. It's a bike, not a trike, but the lower seat height means you can easily get both feet on the ground, which might help prevent a crash. At least you wouldn't have as far to fall. ;) And the seat height isn't as low as a recumbent, so visibility isn't compromised as much.

Rans (http://ransbikes.com/) makes some nice looking versions (they also make a wicked-cool looking trike), including a cargo version called the HammerTruck. Coventry Cycle Works is a Rans dealer. That's where I bought my recumbent Stratus LE. And they're made in America.

I've been very happy with my recumbent.

lynnef
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
fat tires. studded tires.

lefty175
12-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Personally, I'd go for a Lemond Poprad Disc. nice steel frame cross bike w/ disc brakes. it'll take fatter tires (comes with 700x34s) - you'd just have to put the fenders/rack on yourself (it does have mounts, I believe)

That LeMond looks sick, except that I do not think I can get prodeals on LeMond (another caveat). Right now I'm looking at the Novara Buzz Road bike or the Buzz (leaning towards the road if I can figure out how fat of tires it could fit, comes with 700x28c's or 32s depending on where I look). I'm also looking at the Scott SUB 10. I like the Scott for its hydraulic disc brakes, its overall look, and the triple chainwheel, I don't know if I want straight bars though . . .

velogeek
12-20-2008, 04:15 PM
How about a Jamis Aurora? Has the features you're looking for, except disc brakes (it has decent cantis). Found mine on CL, but Citybikes has them.

Tried a Kona Dew Deluxe for a bit (flatbar w/disc) but the wet weather debris buildup around the pads drove me nuts.

scholzj
01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I have been fairly impressed with the Novara Buzz V. It is a steel mountain bike frame with no suspension, mountain bike drive train, slick tires and fenders for only $450. (ok so I admit now that I do work for REI so this could seem like a bit of a plug but I work in the shop so I build these things all day long and if I thought it was a poorly built bike believe me I would say so) The only thing that I would recomend changing is the tires, but we (rei) will swap those out at purchase time. Anywho, I think it is a great option for not much money. Man this is starting to sound like a commercial, sorry but it really is a good option and Novara tends to be overlooked by the general cycling population.