PDA

View Full Version : Aids in Navigation... Red and Green reflectors.

K'Tesh
12-11-2008, 10:50 AM
One of the things that I've recently done to my bikes (and helmet) is to add red and green reflectors. Red on the left (or port) side, green on the right (or starboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starboard)) side. I've always intended to have the colored lights, but I have yet to find ones that are suitable for my purposes. Of course there is the red showing to the rear as required by law. Problem is that so much of my bikes glow, it may be hard to notice.

I've done this in the hopes that motorists *MAY* remember their nautical/aviation navigation lights and be able to figure out my orientation and direction of travel (and keep themselves from intercepting me). Otherwise, it's my own private little nod to history.

Anybody else do something like this?
K'Tesh

jr98664
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, they first would probably just see them as Christmas lights. Although lighting a bike up for Christmas would look pretty cool, it's not what these lights are going for. Secondly, a motorist might not see the green side, and just think it's the back of a bike, or just green and not know what the heck it is. At least with the saturation of the automobile into society, I think white in front and red in back is generally understood by most.

wyeast
12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't use green (due to availability and my less-than-high expectations that drivers may now nautical references) however, I do use a mix of reds, whites, and yellows.

More reds (but with some white) in the back, white in the front, and yellows+white on the side.