PDA

View Full Version : What to do with tired batteries?

K'Tesh
12-05-2008, 08:42 AM
My rechargables say that they are for high use items (such as external flashes, digital cameras, etc). I don't use them for my PB lights as they don't drain fast, and I'm worried about their exposure to cold/wet conditions.

So, I have a stack of alkaline batteries that are tired, but not totally dead...

any ideas on what to do with them that will use them up, or allow them to be put to another good use?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

lynnef
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
You recycle them. Where exactly I haven't figured out. We had a bucket at work for used batteries; not an option now.

Call Far West Fibers; they take lots of stuff.

lazlo
12-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Metro takes them at the hazardous waste sight at the transfer station in NW.

Grant
12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I put them in remote controls. They last a good amount of time there.

jr98664
12-05-2008, 08:55 PM
In addition to remotes, I run them dry with my wireless computer mouse. It's very easy to tell when they finally die—the red light dies as well.

wyeast
12-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Rechargables are recommended for "high drain items" because the perform better than alkalines in those conditions. They do just fine in "low drain" conditions too. The main problem you get is NiMH batteries self-discharge. That is, they'll slowly lose power over time whether you use them or not, so you'll get somewhat less life per charge on something like a Superflash that is low drain. Not a huge whoop, and you can overcome that with newer low-self-discharge cells like Eneloops or "Hybrid" rechargables.

In wet? No battery does that well, nature of the beast. In cold? They'll also do better than alkalines.

As for what to do w/ the alkalines, I'm afraid I'm not sure. Probably recycle them. Not sure how much more you'll get out of them if an LED blinky is done with them already...