PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar bag - product recommendations, feature suggestions?

mark
11-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I am planning to purchase a handlebar bag. I would appreciate any product recommendations and/or feature suggestions you can offer. I expect to use the bag for rides around town and an occasional overnight trip. I commute regularly, rain and shine, but to not think I will use it on my M-F rides. Right now, I can foresee the need for a waterproof map case and the ability to carry small items such as a compact camera, sunglasses, snacks, etc. I would like to be able to attach/detach it quickly but I do not think I necessarily need the convert-to-a-fanny-pack feature (my kids will appreciate the fact that I will not be wearing one, too).

Earlier lessons learned ... In the early '70's, I had a handlebar bag that I used on a few trips. I do not remember the brand but there were not too many choices available. As I recall, however, it was a pain to get into quickly, it was not waterproof, and it flopped around.

Here are some of the brands/models that I have looked at online and in the local shops. I looked at an Ortlieb bag yesterday, because I have been extremely pleased with the Ortlieb panniers that I have been using for the past 10 years. However, the bag is pricey...

Novara Deluxe Handlebar Bag
Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Classic
Topeak TourGuide Handle Bar Bag DX
Detours Shuttle Handlebar Bag

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cruizer
12-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Mark,
I'm surprised there have been no responses. I was looking forward to reading other riders' experiences and recommendations. Maybe this will get your thread in the forefront again.

bikerinNE
12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Haven't used one yet, but here is one such product.

http://www.thetouringstore.com/LONE%20PEAK/LP%20H-bar%20Packs/H100%20H-BAR%20PACK%20PAGE.htm

mark
12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks! The Lone Peak H-100 "Alta" Handlebar Pack, with the quick-release bracket, is exactly what I am looking for. Since I have two bikes, I will purchase an extra bracket as the manufacturer suggests.

Cruizer
12-22-2008, 10:12 AM
This pack looks good, but it brings me back to the question of where to put my light. I use a Cat-eye attched to my handlebar and I really like it. This pack, as do others I've seen, rises above the handlebars and would obstruct the path of the light. Suggestions?

Cruizer
12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I got an answer from Wayne, at the touring store link bikerinNE provided:

"If you will do a search online for a product made by a company called
Minoura. The product name is Space Grip, or Spacegrip. It is a T-shaped
item that clamps onto your handlebar. The top of the T is a handlebar
diameter tube that allows you to add items such as lights and cycle
computers. The top of the T is about 3 inches above the handlebar, if I
remember correctly. I intend to carry this item one of these days, but
don't have them yet. They are easy to find online. If you have a local
Performance bike shop, they have a version of the same thing. I can't
remember what they call theirs. Hope that helps!"

bikerinNE
12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I've seen that. I think i saw it advertised as a bicycle dash board or something, for gadget friendly people, like K'Tesh. Ha ha.

Glad i could help.

Keep peddling and happy holidays.

Philosophography
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I really like this one. It's capacious, totally waterproof, easy to get into one handed, a nicely designed quick release mount, and it has a strong steel internal frame: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81114584@N00/3226198470/

boneshaker
02-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I have an Acorn that I got off eBay and like it very much. A little more stylish than some of the typical bags, if a bit less convenient. Worth checking out for sure though.

lynnef
02-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I have an Acorn that I got off eBay and like it very much. A little more stylish than some of the typical bags, if a bit less convenient. Worth checking out for sure though.

I don't think they sell on eBay anymore. They've got a website, and take orders once a month. They are already done for Februrary.

http://www.acornbags.com/index.html