PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Books...

K'Tesh
11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Any suggestions on what to read?

Besides Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance?

Your book report is due...
K'Tesh

scholzj
11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I am 3/4 of the way through an excelent book called Catfish and Mandala. It is by Andrew X. Pham, I think that he is a local author since the cover says he lives here in Portland. Great book about the authors trip to his homeland of vietnam on a bicycle.

bikerinNE
11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
An excellent read is a book by Barbra Savage called “Miles from Nowhere: A Round the World Bicycle Adventure.” I couldn’t put it down. Barbra Savage was killed in a bicycle accident shortly before she was able to publish the book. Her husband published it for her.

Another great read is, “The Immortal Class” by Travis Culley. It’s not a book just about bicycle messengers, but about living a life with a bicycle as your own source of travel, and co-existing with the automobile. Another terrific read.

Another book, written by a local author, and a book of short stories called, “Metal Cowboy,” by Joe kurmaskie. It’s a book of short stories written around his adventures on a bicycle.

bikerinNE
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
"Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour De France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime" by Martin Dugard. I read it, it's a good book, but I liked it for the inside look of the behind-the-scenes style of the tour. The stories of what happens inside the media, from town to town during the tour.

djasonpenney
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Second on Miles from Nowhere and Metal Cowboy. The Barbara Savage belongs in every well-read bicyclist's library. Seriously.

It's a bit strident and long winded, but Effective Cycling by John Forester is worth reading, if not owning. Even if you don't agree with him, you owe him and all the rest of us the favor of listening to his arguments.

Also, a very strange and hair-raising book currently available at Powells: Urban Bikers' Tricks & Tips by Dave Glowacz. Disturbing but has a lot of...interesting information.

--jason "never skitched, never will" p.

scholzj
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
If you liked Metal Cowboy check his latest book Momentum is your Friend. Great read. Oh and I third Miles from nowhere. I too could not put it down.

lynnef
11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
+1 on Miles from Nowhere.
Wheels North
Anything by Joe Kurmaskie
the first Lance Armstrong book (Its Not About the Bicycle, I think)

mtmann
11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I'll add my vote for Effective Cycling by John Forester. Yes, It can be a bit pedantic. But there's a ton of practical information in there as well, from how to ride in traffic or be an effective advocate, to how to do maintenance and repair, or what gear inches are and why they matter. If there's a bicycling textbook, this is it.

Ten Points by Bill Strickland is also a great book. I usually stay away from confessional-type non fiction, but his story of amateur racing and coming to terms with his abusive father was very moving and inspirational.

Speaking of racing, The Ride by Tim Crabbe should be at the top of any cyclist's reading list if you have even a passing interest in what makes bike racers tick. A true classic.

I also really like Bicycle! A Repair and Maintenance Manifesto by Sam Tracy. It may not be the most detailed bike repair manual, but the combination of edginess and sly humor, mixed throughout with a clear love for the machine, makes this a great read.

And while not technically a book, Sheldon Brown's website is packed with at least as much information as any bike book could be; the only difference is that it's not between 2 covers.

K'Tesh
11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Not exactly bikey, but it did play a role in my formative years... :cool:

"The Monkey Wrench Gang", and the sequel "Hayduke Lives" by Edward Abby.

(Now if I could only get a plasma cutter for my birthday...)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

mtmann
11-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I'll add my vote for Effective Cycling by John Forester. Yes, It can be a bit pedantic. But there's a ton of practical information in there as well, from how to ride in traffic or be an effective advocate, to how to do maintenance and repair, or what gear inches are and why they matter. If there's a bicycling textbook, this is it.

Ten Points by Bill Strickland is also a great book. I usually stay away from confessional-type non fiction, but his story of amateur racing and coming to terms with his abusive father was very moving and inspirational.

Speaking of racing, The Ride by Tim Crabbe should be at the top of any cyclist's reading list if you have even a passing interest in what makes bike racers tick. A true classic.

I also really like Bicycle! A Repair and Maintenance Manifesto by Sam Tracy. It may not be the most detailed bike repair manual, but the combination of edginess and sly humor, mixed throughout with a clear love for the machine, makes this a great read.

And while not technically a book, Sheldon Brown's website is packed with at least as much information as any bike book could be; the only difference is that it's not between 2 covers.

bikerinNE
11-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Not exactly bikey...

Not bikey, but also a good read, and the dude did rid himself of his car and monies to backpack... it's called "Into The Wild." If your looking for an uplifting book, don't open a page in it, but it's a story all should know if your even remotely interested in traveling alternatively or hiking or anything outdoorsy.

gimmespamnow
11-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Cycling for Profit
Pedal Power: The Quiet Rise of the Bicycle in American Public Life (as recommend by the "Possibly related posts" section of the website.)

Not exactly bicycle related, but a good book from an advocacy perspective:
The High Cost of Free Parking

Haven_kd7yct
11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Not exactly in book stores yet, but:

Ghost Trails by Jill Homer.

Looking forward to reading it!! :)

Jonathan Maus
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks for all the recommendations everyone. keep them coming.

DogsBody
11-24-2008, 02:39 PM
WAR by Gwynn Dyer.

metal cowboy
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I highly recommend Ten Points by Bill Strickland - for the everyman point of view look at racing, and for the brutal honesty about his childhood, what shaped him and the challenges he overcame and continues to battle to becoming a whole, functioning human being and father.

The Handsomest Man In Cuba - Lynette Chiang ( disregard the fact that I wrote her forward - it's still a ggreat book) It's one fiesty woman's adventures in Cuba, by bicycle.

K'Tesh
11-25-2008, 02:21 PM
The Handsomest Man In Cuba - Lynette Chiang ( disregard the fact that I wrote her forward - it's still a ggreat book) It's one fiesty woman's adventures in Cuba, by bicycle.

In checking out the bookstore, I saw videos...

I'd put in Lynette's video diaries on her trips in Peru, and on Hwy 66.

http://www.GalfromDownUnder.com

rawillis3
11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
the Travis Culley book is a good read, Immortal Class or something

bikerinNE
11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
How about the video documentary, "Red Light Go!"

bikerinNE
11-25-2008, 09:06 PM
PEDAL is also good. A young lady gets hit on video by a car as she blows a stop sign, and walks away.

t27
11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Memories of Running
A novel where the bike provides the vehicle of transformation.
Some of the details of bike touring sound like the author may not be that familiar with long distance touring, but it is not about the bike.

mike_khad1
11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
1. Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair

2. Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook

3. Metal Cowboy's Momentum Is Your Friend

bikerinNE
11-27-2008, 12:39 AM
2. Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook

plus one on Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook

elk
11-30-2008, 08:39 PM
2 more good reads:

The Need for the Bike Paul Fournel

Heft on Wheels MIke Magnuson

OldCog
12-31-2008, 12:53 AM
World War Z ... yeah its a zombie book.

I can't help my self

randy5235
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
The art of urban cycling .... by Hurst I believe.. I found it to be a pretty nice book. He bashes a bit too much on VC for my taste, but makes a couple of good points on a couple of issues. Worth the read for anyone that commutes in my opinion.

Randy

lacorota
01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I needed a little book for those increasingly spare moments I seem to be able to dedicate to reading. This fit the need. It's an anthology of little bike stories: humorous, serious, political, technical, meaningful, and all worthy of time spent reading. Plus, it's got a really cool cover.

One of my favorites inside the little book was "Of Dogs and Cyclists: The Difference Between Riders." This past summer, after logging lots of in-city commuting and dating miles, I noted the differences in all of us; cyclists are a diverse bunch with different bikes, costumes, and perhaps different motives for biking.

My observations ranged from the quintessential Portland Hipster enjoying a smoke and a PBR on a recycled classic chromoly, to an upscale lycra clad cyclist ripping it up on a feather weight carbon frame.

Despite the wonderful variety, the passion for riding is common to all.

"Of Dogs and Cyclists . . . " put a fun spin on it all.

RonC
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Greg Moody wrote a series of cycling murder mysteries that I found fun to read. They are:

Perfect Circles
Two Wheels
Derailleur
Dead Air
Dead Roll

The later books in the series seemed a little darker, but the first few are very good page turners. All worth reading, but I'm not sure if they are published anymore.

Dovestrobe
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Some of my faves

Bike Cult by David Perry: an encyclopedic book of various historical facts and current trends, written in the 90's (so this book may not be so current for the hipster in you!)

Cycling by James C. McCullagh: an enjoyable read, especially good for those who wish to be inspired by stories of folks who were way over weight, got a Huffy, rode forever, lost a ton of weight and buy a better bike, a Cannondale, to celebrate. Also detailed for the racer regarding training regiments, diet etc...

The Complete Book of Bicycle Commuting (Rodale press) by John Allen: nice to have or own a commuting bike book to refer to when contemplating daily commutes. Defensive cycling is what this book is all about! Out of print, however there are other notable bike commuting books out there.

Bike Snob NYC is a blog in addition to being a current book written with the same title by the same snobby dude, which is profoundly funny and of course keeps current with what's going on in bike culture with a charming sense of funny! http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

kenl666
06-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Most of these have already been mentioned but here goes:

- Ten Points, Bill Strickland. A tremendous story about the chilling abuse he suffered interspersed with his efforts to get sufficient upgrade points to cat up.

- Tales From the Bike Shop, Half-Wheel Hell, both by Maynard Hershon (he also has a column that appears in the Bicycle Paper). Most of these are only a page or two long, real light reading but some of the stories are so poignant and touching.

And of course anything & everything by our local home-boy, the Metal Cowboy Joe Kurmanskie.