PDA

View Full Version : And Tonight's Darwin Award Contestant Is...

K'Tesh
11-11-2008, 10:39 PM
http://www.darwinawards.com/i/store/DarwinFish.200.png (http://www.darwinawards.com/)

Dufus DeJour was riding a dark Mountain bike (did have front reflector) wearing dark clothes, no helmet, no lights at the NE corner of SW Fairfield St. and SW Cedar Hills Blvd. (Beaverton) tonight. It was about 7pm (11/11/08 ), and raining hard. (edit... Oh yeah, nearly forgot... No rear brakes!)

He's stopped at the crosswalk, near the Plaid Pantry, crossing Cedar Hills, and he waits for the light to change. I had spotted him, and was planning on clueing him in as to why he was risking his life riding as he was. I didn't need much to convince him though. A car, EB, turned North, and cut him off (despite the crosswalk signal in his favor). He asked if I had seen that, and I said I sure did.

Then, I told him about Roy Tze's fatal crash. I told him about how big the fines are, presuming he lives, if he had been hit... and I pointed him in the direction of Dollar Tree for some flashlights. I don't think he was ready for the rebuke, but I'm hoping that he gets smart quick. Who knows, having that car nearly mowing him down, may be a better motivator than I could ever be.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

letsroll
11-12-2008, 06:15 AM
I live in the area and I see a lot of that. My belief is that they think it is lit-up and they should be seen.

djasonpenney
11-12-2008, 07:23 AM
I think a lot of uneducated bicyclists think, "hey, I can see fine, I doan need no stinkin' light!"

The message we need to give Mr. Road Pizza is that, at the speeds that bicycles travel, unless you're on a dimly lit bike path :mad: the main purpose of lights is that others can see you.

There was an infamous bicycle accident in Eugene in the 1970's. Two bicycles. No lights. Both died. End of story.

K'Tesh
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I called the Beaverton Mayor's 24-Hour hotline (503 526 3700) and requested that we perhaps investigate on how we could duplicate Portland's free light giveaway.

I'd love to see the cops pull over riders w/o lights, hand them lights (and get them to install them), then give them a written warning which then gets turned into a ticket should they get caught riding again w/o lights (plus the new offense). I don't want people to get tickets, I just want to make sure that they don't invite trouble with cagers.

No lights only invites Cage RAGE!
K'Tesh

Arem
11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
"Cage Rage"

Hah, awesome and oh so true. I pretty much ride two wheels motorized or not and sometimes it seems black and white: they are either trying to kill me whether they know it or not (more often not) or they are in my way =P

DogsBody
11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Don't even get me started on this one: I have nearly had it with fellow cyclists that don't have the courtesy to be lit on darkened BIKE ROUTES; let alone when they are out riding with the metal dinosaurs (which are all Theropods btw. Theropod = Meat Eaters)...

lynnef
11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
My most recent favorite - midday in the Beaverton Fred Meyer parking lot, down at the grocery end...

Person riding on bicycle wearing one of those full-face helmets, riding no hands, head down, TEXTING.

You know, I pay total and complete attention in that part of the parking lot, not matter which vehicle I am operating :)

Jeff Wills
11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
My most recent favorite - midday in the Beaverton Fred Meyer parking lot, down at the grocery end...

Person riding on bicycle wearing one of those full-face helmets, riding no hands, head down, TEXTING.

You know, I pay total and complete attention in that part of the parking lot, not matter which vehicle I am operating :)

A couple winters ago: I'm stopped at the intersection of NE 7th & Fremont, waiting for the light to change (cause I stop for red lights, see?). Miss Fashion Sense goes by in front of me southbound on 7th. No lights, no hands, dark sweater, black skirt (I think), dark socks (I think), no helmet, chatting on her cell phone. She dissappeared 100 feet down the road.

Instead of tickets, can't we just hand them organ donor cards?

Jeff

wsbob
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
lynnef, you see, those those full-face helmets make you immortal, so, no worries :). Besides, if it's over there by grocery, everyone has to be on the look out for some of the more loopy folk at the can recycling area. Totally safe for texting hands free ;)!

Tonight, I saw a guy riding West on Beav Hillsdale around the area of the 217 overpass. Had a front light which was not great, though o.k., but on the back, he had one of those teensy-weensy, about the size of a few grains of wheat sized red blinkies. Hey man !! It's legal!! F#%ck Yeah!

Bent Bloke
11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Couple of weeks ago, I saw a guy dressed all in black (wasn't dark yet, but I don't think he had lights), no helmet, no hands, LIGHTING A CIGARETTE AS HE RODE!

I'll bet with the increased air flow, that cig was probably down to the filter within a minute. Some people ...

Arem
11-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Then there are always the people that surprise you when you are going full lock down a bike lane and somebody comes around the corner that happens to be going the WRONG WAY down the same bike lane. Usually with no helmet, etc.

fredlf
11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Couple of weeks ago, I saw a guy dressed all in black (wasn't dark yet, but I don't think he had lights), no helmet, no hands, LIGHTING A CIGARETTE AS HE RODE!

I'll bet with the increased air flow, that cig was probably down to the filter within a minute. Some people ...

Was he on a Magna MTB with blown shocks or Sears ten-speed with the handlebars upside down? Sounds like the classic DUIcylist...

They're usually floaters in the gene pool real quick.

K'Tesh
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Spotted several dufuses (dufi?) this weekend... I notified them about this email I got from Margaret Middleton:

Subject: bike lights‏
Sent: Fri 11/14/08 4:41 PM
To: K'Tesh

Hi K'Tesh,

Thanks for your suggestion. Last week a BTA representative contacted me about their free bike light giveaway program they did with Portland PD and whether wed be interested. I put her in contact with our bike officers, so I am waiting to hear the outcome of their coordination efforts. I can report at the Dec. 4 BAC meeting.

Regards,
Margaret

Margaret is the official city representative for the BAC...

Now, here's what to read from this... when Beaverton gets the lights, then they're going to start handing them out. If you get caught w/o a light, they are going to take your information, then if they catch you again, they'll nail you for both violations.

So my message to possible organ donors, if you don't want the police stopping you, or checking up on your priors, then perhaps you should get some lights. So, could bike lights be concidered police repellant?

I know that the people who read the forums probably already have lights, but you might want to share this little bit of info.

I'll be seeing ya!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
6:30 tonight the Fred Meyer Walker Road parking area was swarming with Ninjas. Not only was there a squid (no helmet, cigarette, no lights) riding off on his mountain bike with full panniers, there was somebody who rode off to the Walker Road exit on a scooter with absolutely no lights, fore or aft.

Sheesh. Maybe I should double my lumens to try to get the attention of the idjits...

K'Tesh
11-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Sheesh. Maybe I should double my lumens to try to get the attention of the idjits...

I've tried that... it doesn't work. However a series of MiNewts and a TriNewt in flash mode is great for annoying the hell out of them. ;)

Be Seeing Ya!
K'Tesh

letsroll
11-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Got one for everybody. I was driving, yes I know. A BMX ninja was crossing the 217 on ramp against the light and I was accelerating to highway speeds, 60 or so. Hope he got the sh$t scared out of him as I flashed and honked.

FYI had dinner at Journeys. What a great place. Bob the owner was good to talk to.

toddistic
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Got one for everybody. I was driving, yes I know. A BMX ninja was crossing the 217 on ramp against the light and I was accelerating to highway speeds, 60 or so. Hope he got the sh$t scared out of him as I flashed and honked.

FYI had dinner at Journeys. What a great place. Bob the owner was good to talk to.

Do you really feel breaking the law by traveling in excess of the posted speed limit is acceptable? And if you are a cyclist, you should know the last thing to do to someone on a bike is honk. Karma is a bitch.

letsroll
11-19-2008, 07:44 AM
When entering an on ramp yes. As a biker I would have NEVER crossed that intersection or intersections like that against a light just for that reason. He saw me coming and I honked to make sure he knew my displeasure of his choice. In my youth I was a bit more brave on the bike, but old age has nipped that. Karma might get me in my other activities as it has tried a couple of times already. But you would not read about that here, most likely the 5 O'clock news and a totaly different debate would ensue.

Duncan
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM

You know I miss the days when I could smoke a cigarette and ride... Now I cannot smoke at all (asthma, HBP) but in my gloriously misspent youth I loved nothing more than smoking a cigarette while out hill climbing some spandex clad billboard... sigh...:rolleyes:

K'Tesh
11-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Was on my way home last night, and encountered two cyclists near the BTC, one had lights, the other had a mount on his bike, but no light.

I told them about the email I received concerning bike lights and the Beaverton Police Dept., the guy with the mount said he just got batteries for his light, and produced them.

The other guy described that he'd been approached by a cyclist (which sounded a lot like me, but the details were just a little off (purple Down Low Glows, purchaced in Portland (mine are blue, and purchaced online)), and had been told about the cost of the fines. He'd been stopped before by BPD, but didn't get lights, until the cyclist approached him. Now, he's being left alone by the cops, and loving it.

Spotted another guy at the BTC I had talked to on Sunday or Monday, his downhill mtb now is sporting a headlight... We talked again for a few minutes. It was fun watching the police car just outside of the transit center, waiting for business.

Anyway, the more people you tell, the more people who might get the message.

Be Seeing Ya!
K'Tesh

letsroll
11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
What about people you see on the other side of the road? Do you say something to them? Yell, Get a light? This AM a person dressed in dark clothes on the other side of the road with no lights.

I said nothing.

toddistic
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
When entering an on ramp yes. As a biker I would have NEVER crossed that intersection or intersections like that against a light just for that reason. He saw me coming and I honked to make sure he knew my displeasure of his choice. In my youth I was a bit more brave on the bike, but old age has nipped that. Karma might get me in my other activities as it has tried a couple of times already. But you would not read about that here, most likely the 5 O'clock news and a totaly different debate would ensue.

Of course you never addressed why you feel its ok to travel in excess of the posted speed limit in your coffin cage.

letsroll
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
to be snip about it. I had the right of way, and I do speed from time to time.

letsroll
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
yada yada yada, wanted to get off post #13 as quickly as possible

letsroll
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Feel better now :)

K'Tesh
11-19-2008, 10:37 AM
What about people you see on the other side of the road? Do you say something to them? Yell, Get a light? This AM a person dressed in dark clothes on the other side of the road with no lights.

I said nothing.

I presume that was directed at me...

It depends on what I'm doing... if I'm in a hurry, I have to let it pass (and grumble to myself about natural selection). If I can, I'll try to catch up, and advise. I don't have a perfect track record, and I've been given the finger or cussed out on more than one occasion. I know that I can't stop someone who is Hell bent on self destruction, but I can honestly say I tried. Ignorance is curable, stupid isn't.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Riding without lights -> Ninja.

Riding on the wrong side of the road -> Salmon.

"Ninja Salmon?" Here's a better term: ORGAN DONOR!

I said nothing.

letsroll
11-19-2008, 02:16 PM

"Ninja Salmon?" Here's a better term: ORGAN DONOR!

Now if I can remember all that.

jr98664
11-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Today I was riding home in the dark with my many lights on (nowhere near K'Tesh levels of luminosity). I see a guy on a bike with no lights, waiting at an unlit crosswalk with a cigarette in his hand. Just as I was about to yell at him to get a light (I figured he might mistake me for talking about a lighter anyway), I nearly mow down another kid on an unlit bike, now yelling at both of them to get a light.

All of this after nearly being hit by a driver distracted by his GPS unit. At least the driver apologized.

letsroll
11-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Today I was riding home in the dark with my many lights on (nowhere near K'Tesh levels of luminosity). I see a guy on a bike with no lights, waiting at an unlit crosswalk with a cigarette in his hand. Just as I was about to yell at him to get a light (I figured he might mistake me for talking about a lighter anyway), I nearly mow down another kid on an unlit bike, now yelling at both of them to get a light.

All of this after nearly being hit by a driver distracted by his GPS unit. At least the driver apologized.

You had quite the night. Glad to hear that you are ok and it is nice to hear that the driver apologized. Lets hope the diver learned his lesson. As for the bikers doubt it, but one can always hope.

Duncan
11-20-2008, 07:33 AM

"Ninja Salmon?" Here's a better term...

I like ninja Salmon just fine.

Damn thats funny.

K'Tesh
11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Last night it was a guy riding his bike on Cedar Hills Blvd. with no headlight, dark clothes, and a Trimet blue blinky for a tail light. I did what I could to advise him of the possibility of an enforcement action, but I don't know if he could understand me, as he claims "no english".

At least a bus would know where to stop for his remains.

Be Seen!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
11-20-2008, 08:06 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences last night, jr98664. Glad to hear you're not hurt.

Perhaps to increase your level of luminosity (with the pretext of being able to see the Darwin's) you might look into those tactical flashlights that we've discussed. As crazy as it sounds, I'm thinking about adding one or two (dozen) myself. ;)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
11-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Last time all of that happened to me, the next thing I did was to sit up in bed :D Glad that you're all right!

K'Tesh
11-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Last night's Darwin contender:

'Bout 9pm, Cedar Hills Blvd, and Westgate, Beaverton

He's riding in the lane, against traffic (close to curb), after dark, wearing dark clothes, no helmet. He had a red bike light... mounted on his chest, and a blue trimet flasher on his back pocket. Cars were changing lanes to avoid him.

I scared the daylights out of him when I rolled up on him (I was on the sidewalk). He though I was a motorcycle (I was on Mk VII, with the TriNewt, and the DLG on). I introduced myself, and told him about how much he could expect in tickets if he was nailed for riding like he was. Red to front, and blue flashing (could get tagged for impersonating a cop), against traffic.. Guaranteed to catch a cop's attention. I suggested a flashlight, or a bike light for his front... he's got the tail light, he just needs it on his back, not front.

He was with a friend who was walking, so he opted to walk with him, rather than catch the attention of a passing cop.

One of the comments that seems to work for me is:

"Unless you want to give the city all that money..."

See and Be Seen!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
11-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Bike ninja in Oregon City (Molalla Ave, near Pearl), who has lately been taking the lane repeatly at night.

My coworker has nearly hit this individual on one occasion, and still he persists. I trust her, and believe that if someone doesn't get smart and fast, we'll be reading about him in the obituaries.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

jr98664
11-25-2008, 09:11 PM
For reference, here is a map of the location (http://tinyurl.com/6oae4y).

So, I'm riding home in the dark today on NE 9th Street in Vancouver from 136th west past I-205, and there's something about this road that just seems to draw out these types of people on bikes. Almost weekly, I will see some kid riding either, in the parking lane against traffic, or the same direction on the piecemeal bits of sidewalk. Always in the dark with no light. Today he was going the wrong way, in a parking lane, weaving in and out of the short stretch of bike lane, only to get on the sidewalk as soon as it appeared. No light. He wasn't even wearing a helmet. To make it worse, his helmet was hanging off of his handlebars. Needless to say, I reprimanded him for his three dangerous mistakes.

What do you find to be the most effective way of reaching them in a way meaningfully enough for them to actually get a light/get a helmet/ride with traffic/etc.?

wsbob
11-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, I know this thread is dedicated to awarding Darwin Awards to idiots on bike, but thought this guy's accomplishment was worth noting:

Accused drunk driver ends up running over himself (http://m.www.yahoo.com/_ylt=Al9nQVHZxWQzFzlUWo5bdv6bvZx4/SIG=127b7f5c3/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081126/ap_on_fe_st/odd_drunken_driver)

K'Tesh
12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Darwina, was riding last night out at the Beaverton Town Square parking lot last night. No lights, no rear reflector, all black clothing (dark haired too).

Wonder if she realizes how dangerous parking lots are? hmmm.

See, and Be Seen!
K'Tesh

Haven_kd7yct
12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I saw a running ninja this morning in the fog-- at 6:30AM in the dark on my street.

Actually, my dog spotted it first, as he wants to chase things all the time-- mostly as a way to protect me. Nuisance, but otherwise I wouldn't have seen it, except as maybe an animal crossing between me and the light at the end of the driveway 100 feet away.

Yes, I couldn't even tell if it was male or female. Wearing all black, with extremely minimal reflective piping, in an area where there are no overhead lights (older neighborhood) and inattentive drivers who think they can take up the whole road that early.

My headlight caught the few reflective pieces on shoes and arms.

So you see, ninjas come in all shapes and sizes. At least all the bike ninjas I've seen lately are riding on sidewalks! :)

K'Tesh
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I spotted several cyclists last night w/o their lights, with their dark winter weather clothing, some with, others without headphones.

The one that stood out was the guy crossing 99W at SW Hall in Tigard, dreadlocks, dark clothing and bike, no reflectors... oh, but he did have a light (the end of his cigarette)...

Also there was a Kamakazi K9 on 99W by Safeway trying hard to get itself killed. I managed to get it out of the road only to have it run back across 4 lanes of traffic to Shari's. I couldn't pursue it. However an empoyee of Safeway said that they *had* the dog and it's companion and had contacted the owners.

On a more positive note, I spotted not one, but three guys, all riding BMX bikes with lights crossing SW Canyon at SW Lombard in Beaverton.

See and Be Seen!
K'Tesh

steve knight
12-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I saw three of the fools on 82nd and Jonson creek. I don't ride 82nd unless I have too and here they are dressed dark no lights with moron on their foreheads.
got another fe idiots on 52nd and going up flavel towards 92nd. of course they are always all the way to the right. I see people going the right way and the wrong way on those strees but they are never in the bike lanes always all the way over to the right.

K'Tesh
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Ninja Salmon, but he was wearing a reflective vest...

Kid was probably going home from the Tigard Library, riding against traffic (briefly) when I spotted him on SW Burnham Rd. He did have a reflective vest but due to folds in it, much of the reflectors were hidden from behind.

I managed to catch him, and told him about how vulnerable he was without lights, even w/the vest (dark clothes/bike), when riding against traffic, especially from cross traffic.

Seemed receptive to the suggestions, and didn't give the all to common "F-You buddy" reply.

There is Hope!
K'Tesh

jr98664
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Just as before, I was headed eastbound on NE 9th Street at 125th Ave (http://tinyurl.com/aa643j) in Vancouver at about 7:10 am on my way to school. And take a guess as to whom I come across. The same Ninja Salmon that nearly hit me before. The same one that I previously called the cops on after having been verbally assaulted for telling him to ride with traffic. Again, no helmet, no light. The only difference was that while it was still too dark to safely be riding without one, it was technically legal, as it was within 30 minutes of sunrise.

There was a pedestrian refuge island, so all I did was skidded to a stop blocking then entire lane of traffic and I said to him in a firm voice, "Dude, you need to ride on the right side of the road." I get some sort of "F*** you" in return as he rides of on the wrong side of the road. I pull over and wait as he rides a few blocks down the road and I call the cops. Then somehow he was heading the other way against traffic about ten blocks to the west as I was on my way home at about 4:00 pm. Unprovoked, he yelled at me, "F***ing P**sy!" I take it the cops must have had a talk with him, but he was still riding the wrong way. It may be a bit harsh, but I'm really just trying to look out for this guy's safety. If he wants to ride only when the sun is up, I don't care about his light (Otherwise he does need one). I could care less whether he wears a helmet.

Seriously though, he needs to ride with traffic.

Any ideas?

Psyfalcon
02-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Full pads. no light. Wait until you're close, then full blast light (plus an airhorn if you have one).

K'Tesh
02-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Get a gift card good for a dozen lilies, and the address of his next of kin...

Bent Bloke
02-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Make up a card with a picture of a ghost bike, and the message: "This could be you!"

bikieboy
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
BB, good idea on the card. Might be too subtle, though.

young male, :cool: sleek looking road bike, entirely clad in black, no lights front or rear let alone reflectors, flew past me (ok, that's not saying much) on N. Killingsworth last night, swerved up on the sidewalk to avoid traffic waiting at the light at Albina and with only the slightest decrease in speed ran the light & vanished down Killingsworth into the night...

Even if i could somehow get that card in his hand, and even if he paused a moment to consider it, I suspect he'd already consciously made his choice.

I envy that immortality of Youth, but cringe at what often can result.

K'Tesh
06-23-2009, 09:20 AM
The fool who was Eastbound at sunset in the Westbound lane on SW Center... When I tried to tell him about the two fatal crashes this year in Portland, he said that he "Didn't give a F:)K"

I just hope he's taking good care of himself, I'm sure someone would appreciate a kidney (just so long as the stupid isn't contagious).

Salmon Beware!!!
K'Tesh

p8ntballbiker
07-07-2009, 07:08 AM
to the guy on Cornell near 143rd 2 nights ago around 11pm, big bushy hair, dark clothes on a too small mt.bike. Get a light or 2! I saw 3 cars almost hit him because not only was he not lit and wearing black, but swerving around in the bike lane. I was on my way to an on-call emergency at work so I couldnt stop and say something.

K'Tesh
07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Dufus seems to be expanding his range... Sunday Morning ('round 1am) finds me with all my lights heading up to the Zoo on my way home. I'm on the long drag uphill, you know going uphill where I should be enjoying the long straight downhill with the hairpin turn at the bottom. It's not that steep, but it is long, and after a long night of riding with friends (and all the work I had put into getting ready to do The Night Ride), it's a real drain on my reserves.

So, here I am, heading uphill, three MiNewt X2's going, the TriNewt, and the Ultrafazer all on low, when in the distant darkness I 'think' I spot something in the downhill lane. Before I had time to turn off anything I'm being passed by Dufus. He shouts back at me that I should have turned the lights down.

Well, brainless, I've got something to tell you... Had you had a light, I might have spotted you in time to react. Be gratefull I wasn't some swerving drunken ninja that you intersected with.

BTW: I hope that your night vision recovered before you hit that hairpin, cause I didn't go back to see if you made it or not.

If not, GOOD LUCK!!! in the competition for the 2009 Darwin Award! http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
09-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Tonight as I was riding home with my Mom (driving her Toyota), we found ourselves at the intersection of SW Allen and SW Lombard in Beaverton.

The light had just turned green for us (NB on Lombard), when Dufus DeJour rode his BMX EB directly in front of us as we had just started rolling. :mad: Our constestant was riding a black bike, with no lights, and wearing no helmet, and dark clothing.

I won't be surprised to hear soon of another serious crash with fools like him riding around, and it will be his own fault.

Sadly
K'Tesh